Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

BONUS PLAY GAME THREAD: FAU @ ODU - March 1, 2020

Add topic

Owls Travel to ODU Looking to Continue Bonus Play Wins and Advance Seeding

What: Florida Atlantic (16-13, 8-8) vs. Old Dominion (11-17, 7-8)

When: Sunday, March 1st, 2020 @ 2:00 PM Eastern

Where: Chartway Arena

Series: Old Dominion owns an 8-2 edge, including a 65-55 victory in late January.

TV: None

Stream: ESPN3 *Cable Subscription Required

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

ODU Team Site: Here

ODU at a Glance:

Offense - 64.6 PPG, 40% FG, 29% 3PT

Defense - 65.1 PPGA, 40% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 39.3 RPG Monarchs, 34.4 RPG Opponents

Notables

The defending C-USA Tournament Champions find themselves in the middle pod with FAU following a disappointing seventh season under Head Coach Jeff Jones. ODU was tabbed to finish in fourth place in the C-USA Preseason Poll.

The Monarchs opened C-USA Bonus Play with a 74-66 loss at Marshall. ODU shot well below their FG average, yet well above their 3FG average at 33% and 50% respectively. In the loss, guard Malik Curry drained a team-high 27 points for his 11th double-digit scoring day in his last 13 outings.

Earlier this season, ODU beat FAU thanks to a season-high 21 points from guard A.J Oliver II. Curry dropped just 12 points in the contest, but hauled in an impressive 7 rebounds and while dishing out 6 assists.

With those numbers, it is no surprise that Curry leads the team in scoring, averaging 12.9 PPG. Not far behind is guard Xavier Green at 12.2 PPG.

Senior forward Aaron Carter is the only player in C-USA that averages over 10 rebounds per game. The ODU Team Captain averages 10.3 RPG overall, 11.5 RPG vs. C-USA opponents.

As a team, ODU has the second best scoring defense in C-USA vs. conference opponents. While they are the best rebounding team in the league, that has failed to turn into points as the Monarchs rank 12th among C-USA programs in scoring when facing conference foes.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 70.6 PPG, 43% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 68.5 PPGA, 44% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.9 RPG Owls, 34.8 RPG Opponents

Notables

Dusty May's Owls begin a tough two game road trip against Old Dominion and Marshall with their second visit to Norfolk this season.

When the Owls were previously upended by the Monarchs by 10 in late January, team highs in points and rebounds from forward Jailyn Ingram were not enough to overcome a 30% FG shooting day from FAU. The Georgia native was the only Owl that scored in double-digits with 16 points and 7 rebounds. Cornelius "Scuta' Taylor, who currently leads FAU in scoring with 12 PPG, was held to just 9 points on 11 attempts, 3 of which coming via the charity stripe.

Thankfully the Owls played much better last Thursday in their home finale against UTSA, beating the Roadrunners 80-71. Blanche Ely HS guard Michael Forrest drained a season-high 21 points, which included 6 converted three-pointers. His performance, paired with the Owls dominating the battle along the boards 40-29, pushed the Owls to their second win in as many games, and a program record 14th home win this season.

In the win over UTSA, FAU hit the 80 point plateau for the first time since the 91-73 victory over Marshall at the beginning of February. The Owls have only hit that mark four times this conference season, all of which being FAU wins.

Ingram's 12 points against UTSA makes him the 14th Owl to score 1,000 career points. The historical shot came at the 1:21 in an anti-climatic fashion. Ingram drove through the lane aggressively, attempting to bank a layup off of the board when the UTSA defender made contact with the rim. The referees whistled the play dead for goaltending, counting the basket as Ingram's addition to the 1,000 point club.

As a team, FAU struggles away from Boca Raton. Their 2-10 (1-6 in C-USA) road record ranks as one of the worst in the nation. But a win on Sunday will secure an upper-half seed in the C-USA Tournament.

Opening Line: FAU +5 Additional Links:

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

2019-2020 FAU Basketball Season Discussion Thread - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

As a team, FAU struggles on the away from Boca Raton. Their 2-10 (1-6 in C-USA) road record ranks as one of the worst in the nation. But a win on Sunday will secure an upper-half seed in the C-USA Tournament.

That is ugly.  If we could split these last two I would be thrilled. 🤞🏻

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Despite the opening line of +5 for FAU, I have this game even…well, actually ODU by .4 points.

Let's see what type of defensive adjustments we can make and execute in the paint. This was the reason we lost earlier in the season (34-19 ODU).

In the words of historic Miami Heat announcer Eric Reid's 1996-97 season tagline, Hope they are the "Road Warriors"!

Back to the top

Same starters from last week's win over UTSA.

Back to the top

Wow, ODU races out to an 11 point lead just five minutes in. But Sebree and Taylor pair up to drain a some threes in back-to-back fashion to cut into the ODU advantage.

Back to the top

Ingram is just on a different level!

Back to the top

HALFTIME. ODU leads FAU 35-29.

Back to the top

Owls continuing their solid play into the second half!

Back to the top

OWLS LEAD!

How about that! It's been all FAU from the 3:00 mark of the first half.

Back to the top

ODU answers with a run of their own to retake the lead. At one point, it looked like the game was slipping away from FAU, but FAU put an end to the Monarchs' momentum with this and-one.

Back to the top
Control functions: