Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Looks like no season or half a season

Even Forbes  has a problem with our President.  What does " in the age of Trump " add to the story. Why not say"currently ". Forbes and most periodicals have fallen off the map because of leaning statements. I agree with most of the article.  But most of it has to do with the changing world we live in, financial decisions, and mostly the ridiculous cost of a higher education.  Administrators have a lot to worry about.  Bob Dylan wrote " the times they are a changing". And it's happening as we speak.

Back to the top

I’m not expecting a 20% decrease in the number of students enrolled - that is the number that would significantly impact FAU’s budget (both athletic and overall).  I would think most of the athletic budget comes from student fees, so fewer students or attendees at games (where we never had huge crowds to begin with) won’t be a huge deal.  Fewer students enrolled and now not paying those fees would be.  Or a big reduction in those fees without games would hurt, too. 

But the article talks about these numbers representing what respondents were thinking (not acting on) and also points out that would include transfer numbers - which I didn’t see a stat for “normal” transfer rates.  If students do decide to stay closer to home, it could even cause an increase in enrollment at campuses like FAU who are relatively affordable and located close to major population areas.

It is all a whole bunch of “we don’t know” right now.  This Fall starts my oldest daughter’s last year, so I am hopeful things return to something that resembles normal.  We have to move her out of her apartment this weekend and I am putting stuff in a storage unit because she hasn’t gotten a lease for next year with the uncertainty.  But we still plan on her being in Boca at FAU in August. 
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Even Forbes  has a problem with our President.  What does " in the age of Trump " add to the story. Why not say"currently ". Forbes and most periodicals have fallen off the map because of leaning statements. I agree with most of the article.  But most of it has to do with the changing world we live in, financial decisions, and mostly the ridiculous cost of a higher education.  Administrators have a lot to worry about.  Bob Dylan wrote " the times they are a changing". And it's happening as we speak.

Posted On: Apr 28th 2020, 7:13 AM #394835

Yea, I just drifted over that part of the article.  Was reading the actual stats and some of the trends.

To be crystal clear, I did not share that article with the intention of a political stance or slant.  

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Local Owl said

Posted On: Apr 28th 2020, 7:13 AM #394835

Yea, I just drifted over that part of the article.  Was reading the actual stats and some of the trends.

To be crystal clear, I did not share that article with the intention of a political stance or slant.  
Posted On: Apr 28th 2020, 12:28 PM #394837

This is a very layered conversation, but what the article is getting at is college as we see it today is probably changing, which for us has a major impact on sports.

This pandemic is going to expose how most college athletic programs are being run.

We have talked about this before but most athletic departments depend on the student fees.

63 percent of FAU's athletic budget is subsidized by students.

At 19.27 a credit hour over 120 credits student are paying 2,312.40 to athletics to graduate.

With the out of control coast of higher education, what happens when those fees are forced to be curbed or students are given a choice if they want to pay for them?

Why are we still forcing students to take 30 elective credits?

Do students really need state of the art gaming center on their campuses to be educated?

Why is the football coach making 2.0 million dollars a year?

These are all things that will be asked when they try and make college more affordable.
Back to the top

That's too much to think about. Tomorrow I'm going fishing on my boat and then sitting by my condo pool. Both are open as of Wednesday. On our way to fiotbalk.
Back to the top

I sure hope are able to have football in the fall. We have a lot of talent and a lot of competition this year.
Back to the top
Control functions: