Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart 2020 Summer Camp Teleconference - June 22, 2020

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Sports itself are not political as they have no effect on game outcomes.

Athletes today have more ways they can voice their opinions, and like any other American they have every right to bring a voice to what they care about.

Taggart talked about ''Real-life Wednesdays'' where the team would have discussions, bring speakers, etc on numerous issues.

Don't we want our fellow Owls and players we root for Saturdays to get the most of their FAU experience on and off the field, so they become better citizens and make the world a better place?

People love to say how players get paid with the education FAU gives them, but now they start to use that education to voice opinions and it becomes "I don't want to hear it.''

Posted On: Jun 23rd 2020, 6:58 PM #395197

I think it is great for them to have those conversations in private, and bring speakers and develop everyone's opinions. All for that.  That's the college experience. Developing their opinions and minds is great.

I was more talking about when they bring strong opinions to the public (the public is there for the product of basketball or football or sports, not opinion).  I am not interested, personally. That's their business. I don't bring my political views out so that's just how I am.  

Don't get me wrong, I believe they have every right to bring all of their opinions to the public. I am just saying when I get tired of hearing everyone's personal opinions, and I am the paying customer, I have every right to stop listening and tune out and find other avenues to escape.

They are selling a product, they are not selling opinion. Plain and simple.  My advice is to appeal to all potential customers.  When you bring in politics, you immediately eliminate half the potential. Facts.

Just looking at it as a business.  That is what sports is, a business.  Any business out there that brings political views to their business, usually has problems.  We see it every day, no matter what side they are on, they alienate half the potential. Not smart.
Back to the top

fauowl said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Sports itself are not political as they have no effect on game outcomes.

Athletes today have more ways they can voice their opinions, and like any other American they have every right to bring a voice to what they care about.

Taggart talked about ''Real-life Wednesdays'' where the team would have discussions, bring speakers, etc on numerous issues.

Don't we want our fellow Owls and players we root for Saturdays to get the most of their FAU experience on and off the field, so they become better citizens and make the world a better place?

People love to say how players get paid with the education FAU gives them, but now they start to use that education to voice opinions and it becomes "I don't want to hear it.''

Posted On: Jun 23rd 2020, 6:58 PM #395197

I think it is great for them to have those conversations in private, and bring speakers and develop everyone's opinions. All for that.  That's the college experience. Developing their opinions and minds is great.

I was more talking about when they bring strong opinions to the public (the public is there for the product of basketball or football or sports, not opinion).  I am not interested, personally. That's their business. I don't bring my political views out so that's just how I am.  

Don't get me wrong, I believe they have every right to bring all of their opinions to the public. I am just saying when I get tired of hearing everyone's personal opinions, and I am the paying customer, I have every right to stop listening and tune out and find other avenues to escape.

They are selling a product, they are not selling opinion. Plain and simple.  My advice is to appeal to all potential customers.  When you bring in politics, you immediately eliminate half the potential. Facts.

Just looking at it as a business.  That is what sports is, a business.  Any business out there that brings political views to their business, usually has problems.  We see it every day, no matter what side they are on, they alienate half the potential. Not smart.
Posted On: Jun 23rd 2020, 7:20 PM #395198

I remember when people said letting all the kneeling play would hurt the "hurt the business.''

The NBA has grown exponentially over the past 20 years as one of the most vocal leagues.

Has the Warriors or Spurs business hurt at all because Kurr and Popovich vocal politically?

Back to the top

FAU athletics Are the only sports teams I care about. Sure I’ll root for certain local pro teams but I really don’t care. And what’s made me care even less, and I wouldn’t really care either way, is the politics that go on. 
Back to the top

owlmart said

Thanks for covering this Jack and Shane! I'm excited about this team. Sounds like men of high character who will go on to do great things on and off the field!
Posted On: Jun 22nd 2020, 5:13 PM #395189

Thanks for following along! I think preparing this players for life after football is something that Taggart truly believes in. For all the good things he brought to the program on the field, that is something that Kiffin lacked.

That being said. It's great that we're talking about ball again!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

The smartest thing NCAA did was keeping the athletes in the lockerroom until after the anthem. It kept the NCAA out of the issue.
Back to the top

True. The perfect solution.  Take no sides while solving the issue. Everybody happy.  Pandering to one side or the other only divides. I pray that the people in charge will let me decide if I feel safe enough to attend an activity. There is a way to solve the issue  and make everyone happy.
Back to the top
Control functions: