Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU vs Minnesota Likely to be Canceled

Owls football season at the very least will start late as the Big 10 will not play out of conference games.

This hurts mostly in the wallet as they will miss a huge payday.
Back to the top

And there it is. The Big Ten Conference releases a statement saying that all of their Fall sports will play a conference schedule only.

FAU football is now $1.2 million in the hole.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Sounds like the ACC will be doing the same as the Big Ten. I can't imagine the other conferences not doing the same thing now.

Was really looking forward to this year's non-conference schedule too, specifically the USF game.

Joe Lascari
Back to the top

Did anybody see this from the NCAA?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29469598/ncaa-eases-rules-bowl-eligibility-season-only

Seems like an odd message.  With P5 conferences already going conference-only (2 down and 1 or 2 others seem poised to do so), this would open the door for G5 schools to replace some of those lost games with small schools and not get penalized - at least not in terms of bowl eligibility.  I'd say the NCAA is trying to keep the dream of a 2020/2021 season alive by enticing schools to schedule replacement opponents for those games already (or soon to be) lost.  FAU could try and find a replacement for the Minnesota game and even pickup an extra home game in the process - but Fall football honestly seems unrealistic right now.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Did anybody see this from the NCAA?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29469598/ncaa-eases-rules-bowl-eligibility-season-only

Seems like an odd message.  With P5 conferences already going conference-only (2 down and 1 or 2 others seem poised to do so), this would open the door for G5 schools to replace some of those lost games with small schools and not get penalized - at least not in terms of bowl eligibility.  I'd say the NCAA is trying to keep the dream of a 2020/2021 season alive by enticing schools to schedule replacement opponents for those games already (or soon to be) lost.  FAU could try and find a replacement for the Minnesota game and even pickup an extra home game in the process - but Fall football honestly seems unrealistic right now.
Posted On: Jul 16th 2020, 8:44 AM #395327

The issue with picking up an FCS school is we have to pay.

Back to the top

I get that - only way FAU would do it is if they can at least break even.  Losing the $1.2M (or whatever) payday from Minnesota is going to be a big blow.  I just found it interesting that in the wake of P5 schools going conference-only the NCAA is making this kind of exception and almost trying to encourage additional scheduling changes.
Back to the top

Question: If Minnesota, not FAU, is responsible for canceling the game, why is it not liable for at least some of the payment to FAU?
Back to the top

grayowl said

Question: If Minnesota, not FAU, is responsible for canceling the game, why is it not liable for at least some of the payment to FAU?
Posted On: Jul 16th 2020, 10:52 AM #395331

Obviously a legal question where the terms of the agreement come into play.  I would believe, the terms state something along the lines of "if game is cancelled due to acts of god" no payment would apply.  

That's obviously a gray area that can be interpreted different ways, but I dont think we are going to go to court to find out if a pandemic falls under these terms.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

grayowl said

Obviously a legal question where the terms of the agreement come into play.  I would believe, the terms state something along the lines of "if game is cancelled due to acts of god" no payment would apply.  

That's obviously a gray area that can be interpreted different ways, but I dont think we are going to go to court to find out if a pandemic falls under these terms.
Posted On: Jul 16th 2020, 11:29 AM #395332

I think we would win this case. The game can be played, as evidenced by them continuing with conference play. Maybe we don’t get $1.2 but I think we will get something. I’m no lawyer though.
Back to the top

owlmart said

walty12 said

grayowl said

Posted On: Jul 16th 2020, 11:29 AM #395332

I think we would win this case. The game can be played, as evidenced by them continuing with conference play. Maybe we don’t get $1.2 but I think we will get something. I’m no lawyer though.
Posted On: Jul 16th 2020, 11:54 AM #395333

Bingo.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: