Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conferences Who Have Cancelled 2020 Football Season - Who's Next?

cbboarder said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Local Owl said

Maybe not weak. But definitely more manipulated. As for union busting, if an employee is too afraid to do their job, stay home . But without pay. Good thing grocery clerks aren't afraid or we would all starve.
Posted On: Aug 10th 2020, 7:50 PM #395653

It is not about being afraid. For many, it's about having to work.

Like many Americans, they are one missed paycheck away from falling behind.

So even if elderly with a possible pre-existing condition a Publix clerk has to take that risk or they might not make rent or utilities.  

This is why low-income citizens have been hit the hardest with death rates.

As for college football; the conferences do not want to go down the road of starting to give players employee rights.

Like having to negotiate a bubble scenario or health care coverage if any long term issues happen to do to a player contracting it.   

Posted On: Aug 11th 2020, 7:03 AM #395659

Shane - I get your point however the death rates has more to do with population density than income level. Granted income level is a variable of population density but not a deciding factor. NYC had a death rate of 208 per 100,000 people. Obviously the highest death rate due to the nursing home fiasco.

What's the NCAA guidelines for student athletes when it comes to healthcare and insurance policies? Can the universities provide free of cost?

Posted On: Aug 11th 2020, 8:13 AM #395661

Not sure about this. I live in a very dense area, the deaths are overwhelmingly in poor neighborhoods. That could be an anomaly, but I doubt it.
Back to the top

On the topic of football. I hope we play, the athletes seem to want to play, the coaches want it, the fans want it. The greed at the top doesn't want it and ultimately, they have the final say.
Back to the top

The two worse pre existing conditions are heard disease  and high blood pressure. Two prominent issues in the AA community.i just hope we can get back to normal and live our lives
Back to the top

cbboarder said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Local Owl said

Maybe not weak. But definitely more manipulated. As for union busting, if an employee is too afraid to do their job, stay home . But without pay. Good thing grocery clerks aren't afraid or we would all starve.
Posted On: Aug 10th 2020, 7:50 PM #395653

It is not about being afraid. For many, it's about having to work.

Like many Americans, they are one missed paycheck away from falling behind.

So even if elderly with a possible pre-existing condition a Publix clerk has to take that risk or they might not make rent or utilities.  

This is why low-income citizens have been hit the hardest with death rates.

As for college football; the conferences do not want to go down the road of starting to give players employee rights.

Like having to negotiate a bubble scenario or health care coverage if any long term issues happen to do to a player contracting it.   

Posted On: Aug 11th 2020, 7:03 AM #395659

Shane - I get your point however the death rates has more to do with population density than income level. Granted income level is a variable of population density but not a deciding factor. NYC had a death rate of 208 per 100,000 people. Obviously the highest death rate due to the nursing home fiasco.

What's the NCAA guidelines for student athletes when it comes to healthcare and insurance policies? Can the universities provide free of cost?

Posted On: Aug 11th 2020, 8:13 AM #395661

I do not know the full details of how players are taken care of while at school.

I know any football injuries etc are covered, but the main issue is fear of long term issues or the slight chance of death.

Remember many football players are bigger guys who fall into that high risk.

FAU could say "we will cover your health for any covid issues past graduation,'' but that would cost a ton of money and it is also something that usually negotiated in labor disputes.

Remember schools want to avoid going to the bargaining table to work these things out.

You can talk about all the death rate percents you want, but schools are not here to take any chances.

You also have to factor schools might be just looking at the facts and see there is no chance we prevent outbreaks.

We are talking about a school with 30k students and 18-22  year-olds will not be locking themselves in the dorms.

I can just see heading into week two the multiple headlines of, "team XYZ has X amount of players test positive.''

Back to the top

Trust me I want football just as much as anyone as taking steps in this career depends on it.

I feel awful for many of the high school kids who will probably lose a senior season.

No matter what side you fall on whether to play or not -it stinks.

Both scenarios have terrible consequences.

Back to the top

UMASS just pulled the plug on their season. Playing as an FBS Ind. they had lost 5 games already!

Thant now makes 26 FBS teams out!!!
Back to the top

wait until friday and you'll see more teams cancelling their FB season.
The US has 5 million cases and this is not slowing down.
I don't want a season like this.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

UMASS just pulled the plug on their season. Playing as an FBS Ind. they had lost 5 games already!

Thant now makes 26 FBS teams out!!!
Posted On: Aug 11th 2020, 12:10 PM #395669
That number is actually now 53 of 130 FBS teams with the Big 10 and PAC 12 canceling.

https://athlonsports.com/college-football/college-football-teams-canceled-their-2020-season-fbs
Back to the top

Ladies and gents... this is looking like the season that we make the top 25!
Back to the top

Now that's seeing the glass half full. You may be right. Maybe in the teens.
Back to the top
Control functions: