Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

OwlBytes: 2020 FAU Football Fall Camp - August 11th

With the 2020 season still looming, FAU will now look to replace former starting QB Chris Robison. The redshirt junior was removed earlier in camp from the roster. Robison ranks 2nd all time in passing yards and touchdown passes in FAU history.

That will now open some potential doors for the remaining roster members.

“Every practice is a competition”, said QB Justin Agner.

In the quarterback competition are three familiar names to FAU fans and one newcomer: redshirt junior Nick Tronti, senior Justin Agner, redshirt freshmen Javion Posey and true freshmen Willie Taggart Jr. Much of the offense will likely be new as Drew Mehringer was brought on as Co-Offensive Coordinator. For the past 3 seasons, Mehringer was at the University of Texas serving as WRs and Passing Game Coordinator. Clint Trickett returns to the staff as Co-offensive Coordinator and quarterbacks coach.

For the first time during camp, QBs Nick Tronti, Justin Agner, Javion Posey and Willie Taggart jr. were made available to the media. Below are some of the highlights of what they had to offer.

OwlBytes

• Nick Weber Playing Center While discussing the offensive line, Nick Tronti told reporters that his roommate, redshirt junior Nick Weber had been playing center. “Our center Nick Weber has a lot of experience, he's been great for us” Last season, Weber started at right guard for the Owls. Weber will be replacing multiyear starter C Junior Diaz whose eligibility expired.

• Javion Posey Buzz For the first time in his FAU career redshirt freshmen quarterback Javion Posey poised himself to take questions. Posey began as a Quarterback last fall camp before switching to wide receiver. Now the versatile athlete will return to Quarterback. “It was up to me, they asked me what I felt more comfortable on, and I said Quarterback”. Posey does have some similar traits to former USF QB Quinton Flowers, who HC Willie Taggart had great success with during his tenure at USF. Posey had a touchdown reception in the 2019 Boca Raton Bowl, “The switch to receiver gave me another view on things,” said Posey.

• The Backfield As FAU is likely to have a new starting quarterback in 2020, the Owls will still return a talented backfield. “We have a really good running back room,guys with a ton of experience. Obviously Bj Emmons, Larry, Malcolm (Davidson) is healthy. They all look extremely well,” said Nick Tronti. After being limited an ankle injury for much of the season after suffering an ankle injury in the season opener vs. Ohio State, Emmons rushed for 7 Touchdowns and 324 yards on the ground. The former Alabama running back remains a CUSA breakout candidate. Expect a similar offensive tempo from last year, “He loves that fast pace" said Willie Taggart Jr. of his fathers offensive philosophy. Home run threat, Malcolm Davidson who ran for 711 yards and 9 touchdowns during his sophomore campaign will be in the middle along with rising sophomore Larry McCammon III.

• Student Of The Game New to the FAU QB room is true freshmen Willie Taggart Jr. Prior to committing to FAU, Taggart Jr. had a phenomenal senior season in the Tallahassee area, where he led Florida State University School to a state championship appearance. Taggart Jr. praised veteran quarterbacks Nick Tronti and Justin Agner for helping him get up to speed. “I couldn't ask for better teammates in a quarterback room, they help me to the T”. Look for the 2020 season to be used as a developmental year for Taggart Jr. The athletic quarterback has been quick to notice changes from the high school to the college level, “A little more in depth with the terminology, and understanding the coverages, just another thing you have to adapt to and learn.” said Taggart Jr.

• Tronti Time? Arguably the favorite in the Owls Quarterback race is Nick Tronti (photo above). Last season, Tronti was used mostly in running packages and racked up 239 yards on the ground at just under 5 yards per carry. In limited passing opportunity, Tronti completed 77%% of his passes and passed for 2 touchdowns through the air. “I am playing with a lot more confidence this year”, said the 2016 Mr. Florida winner as he embarks on another quarterback battle. I went in and did what the coaches told me to do (last year). If they told me to throw the ball, I would have thrown the ball, but that wasn’t my job."

• Players speak on #WeWantToPlay Movement Following S Quran Hafiz announcement stating that he would be opting out of the current season, veteran QB Justin Agner said “Its a difficult decision”, in regards to the decision players face in regards to potentially opting out of the season. Since the Hafiz announcement, no other FAU player has come out publicly, nor has the university announced another further opt outs. Furthermore, Agner stated “the team wants to play” as several FBS conferences including the MAC, Mountain West and Big 10 have all announced the postponement of fall football.
Back to the top

Did K. STEWART Enroll?  Was there any other enrollment casualties?
Back to the top

@Rob2313 to answer your Kobe Stewart question:

Kobe Stewart, Jaden Wheeler, and Pewter Warrick Jr. are all Gray Shirting and will enroll in January 2021.

This was expected on signing day.

Lou Dorsey the JUCO TE looks to be the only 2020 class member not expected to enroll.

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

@Rob2313 to answer your Kobe Stewart question:

Kobe Stewart, Jaden Wheeler, and Pewter Warrick Jr. are all Gray Shirting and will enroll in January 2021.

This was expected on signing day.

Lou Dorsey the JUCO TE looks to be the only 2020 class member not expected to enroll.

Posted On: Aug 14th 2020, 7:41 AM #395689

OK did not hear about the Grayshirt.  So S'ship is pushed till this year which will impact this year's signing #.  He was highly ranked so good to hear he is enrolling.
Back to the top

I would agree Lou Dorsey probably isn’t enrolling here. This seems official. 

https://twitter.com/loudorsey24/status/1291082266635100166?s=21

NMHU hasn’t listed him on online roster, so who knows? But I would expect the current TE room to be how it looks whenever they open. Maybe there’s a move or two with the walk ons. And if they play spring football, I have no idea what happens with Jackson Wenstrom since he’s on baseball scholarship and would likely pivot to that. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Dorsey didn't qualify for enrollment at FAU.

(let's keep that here though)

Too bad, would have been a HUGE player for us.

As for Wenstrom, here's what Coach Mac had to say:

"He is a fantastic young man who has served his country and has done everything right. He asked me if I would allow him to try to play football. I said you have earned the right to live out your dreams."

He's listed at 6-3, 247 lbs, and super athletic…so a major bump in that department as well.

FAU Baseball Signee Jackson Wenstrom Tabbed for Prestigious NJCAA Award - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top
Control functions: