Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 9-19-20

Add topic

League play opens this Saturday night when Louisiana Tech visits Southern Miss and eight non-conference games are on the schedule, making for a busy Saturday in Conference USA.

WKU will kick off the Saturday action when it hosts Liberty in the first meeting between the schools. In last week’s opener at Louisville, Hilltoppers senior DE DeAngelo Malone showed why he was named Preseason C-USA Defensive Player of the Year, totaling eight tackles, 3.5 tackles for loss, one sack and one forced fumble.

Appalachian State will play its second straight C-USA foe when the Mountaineers visit Marshall. The Thundering Herd, who were idle last week following a 59-0 season-opening win over Eastern Kentucky, will look to keep the offense going against App St., while slowing down a Mountaineers ground game that piled up 308 yards in last week’s win over Charlotte.

After playing the wildest game of the young college football season in last week’s 51-48 double-overtime win at Texas State, UTSA welcomes Stephen F. Austin for its home opener. Junior QB Frank Harris returned to the Roadrunners starting lineup and led the team to 499 total yards and accounted for four touchdowns (three rushing) in the win.

Charlotte plays its second straight road game, this time visiting in-state foe North Carolina for the first meeting between the schools. Senior Ben DeLuca (16 tackles and a forced fumble last Saturday) and the rest of the 49ers’ secondary will be challenged by the talented Tar Heels sophomore QB Sam Howell.

Defending C-USA Champion Florida Atlantic will open its 2020 season playing at Georgia Southern. The game will mark the debut of Willie Taggart as the Owls head coach as new-look FAU will have a lot of fresh faces in starting positions this fall.

Middle Tennessee returns to action with its home opener, renewing an old rivalry with Troy. This will be the 21st time the teams have met, but the first since 2012, when both schools were members of the Sun Belt Conference.

SMU and North Texas will meet for the seventh consecutive season, this time in Denton. Both schools did not play last week after posting victories in week one.  The Mean Green’s win included a school record 721 yards of total offense and 57 points vs. Houston Baptist.

Coming off a 10-win season, Louisiana Tech will make its 2020 debut when it visits Southern Miss Saturday night to open league play. The Bulldogs will be breaking in a new quarterback following the graduation of three-year starter J’Mar Smith. The Golden Eagles will begin a new era with interim head coach Scotty Walden making his debut leading the USM squad.

UTEP will seek a second straight win at the Sun Bowl when the Miners meet Abilene Christian. Miners sophomore WR Jacob Cowing leads C-USA and ranks third nationally with 11 catches for 165 yards through two games.

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 19

Liberty at WKU (ESPNU)  12 pm

(23) Appalachian State at Marshall (CBS) 1:30 pm

Stephen F. Austin at UTSA (ESPN3) 3 pm

Charlotte at (11) North Carolina (ACC RSN) 3:30 pm

FAU at Georgia Southern (ESPN) 3:30 pm

Troy at Middle Tennessee (ESPN) 3:30 pm

SMU at North Texas (CBSSN) 6 pm

LA Tech at Southern Miss (ESPN) 7:30 pm

Abilene Christian at UTEP (ESPN3) 9 pm
Back to the top

Charlotte has cancelled their game vs. UNC due to an uptick in Covid-19 tests within the program. That's certainly not bad considering Charlotte QB Chris Reynolds is out indefinitely due to injury.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

With FAU vs Georgia Southern being postponed, Troy at Middle Tennessee is now on ESPN at 3:30 pm.
Back to the top

I did not want to play a non conference pponent with a bunch of starters infected. We are going to have enough issues dealing with our own players. No need to add to it.

BTW, does anyone have an idea of what the deal is on Chris Robison? Did he flunk out? Have behavior issues again. Transfer to another school although I have not seen his name in the transfer portal.

I do not want a tremendous amount of details but a  one sentence answer would be better than Taggert's comment I don't want to talk about players no longer on the roster. We lost a bunch of players before the SMU game but at least I got an explanation on why they were not playing.
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

Charlotte has cancelled their game vs. UNC due to an uptick in Covid-19 tests within the program. That's certainly not bad considering Charlotte QB Chris Reynolds is out indefinitely due to injury.
Posted On: Sep 17th 2020, 11:47 AM #396020

Next week’s USF game is probably in trouble already and this leads me to believe the game in two weeks against Charlotte is in trouble too. Wonder if this season is in trouble as a whole 
Back to the top

Two SBC vs C-USA games today…

Who will come out on top?

(may have to update the other thread later)

Back to the top

FINAL:

Liberty 30  WKU 24
Back to the top

So heart broken can’t even watch 😢💔
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Jack D Whidden III said

Posted On: Sep 17th 2020, 11:47 AM #396020

Next week’s USF game is probably in trouble already and this leads me to believe the game in two weeks against Charlotte is in trouble too. Wonder if this season is in trouble as a whole 
Posted On: Sep 19th 2020, 1:57 PM #396074

Agreed. Think we just have to hold on tight because this season (if any) will be a bumpy ride.
Back to the top

I also want to know what happened with Robison. I think there probably are some people here who know. 
Back to the top
Control functions: