Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of 9-26-20

Add topic

Nine Conference USA teams are in action this week, with eight games spread over three days. On league game is on the slate, three games will be against the American Athletic Conference and three games will be vs. the Sun Belt.

UAB will play its third straight Thursday night game when the Blazers drive downstate to meet South Alabama in Mobile for the first time. The UAB pass defense will be tested by a Jaguars squad that is sixth in the nation in passing offense, averaging 342.0 yards per game through the air.

In a game that was not on the schedule until this past Saturday, Middle Tennessee will now travel to UTSA, as the Blue Raiders replace Memphis, which was unable to play due to COVID cases and quarantining. The Roadrunners have produced back-to-back C-USA Offensive Players of the Week in sophomore RB Sincere McCormick (the nation’s leading rusher) and junior QB Frank Harris (the FBS leader in rushing touchdowns).

A seven game Saturday begins when Georgia State comes to Charlotte for the 49ers home opener. Redshirt junior LB Tyler Murray (14) and Redshirt senior S Ben DeLuca (16) combined for 30 tackles in Charlotte’s season opener and will lead the defense against a Panthers team that took nationally-ranked Louisiana-Lafayette to overtime last week.

FIU will open season number four under head coach Butch Davis when the Panthers make their first visit to Liberty. FIU will feature 15 new starters as it looks to knock off a Flames team that won at WKU last Saturday.

Longtime rivals Tulane and Southern Miss meet for the 32nd time, but the first time in the regular season since 2013 when the Green Wave make the 100-mile trek up to Hattiesburg. Golden Eagles senior QB Jack Abraham is coming off a three touchdown passing performance in their conference opener last Saturday night.

UTEP will be looking to improve to 3-1 for the first time since the 2010 season when it visits Louisiana-Monroe. Miners sophomore WR Jacob Cowing has a nation-leading 19 receptions for 275 yards (second in the FBS).

Fresh off a thrilling last minute win at Southern Miss, Louisiana Tech will welcome Houston Baptist for its home opener. Bulldogs freshman LB Tyler Grubbs was named the Athlon Sports Defensive National Freshman of the Week after recording 16 tackles in his collegiate debut.

North Texas will take to the road to meet Houston for the second straight season. The Mean Green rank second in the FBS in total yards with 1,238 through their first two games.

Defending C-USA Champion Florida Atlantic was scheduled open its 2020 season by hosting South Florida. The game would have marked the debut of Willie Taggart as the Owls head coach but covid issues on the Bull's roster forced a postponement.

THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 24

UAB at South Alabama (ESPN) 6:30 pm

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 25

Middle Tennessee at UTSA (CBSSN) 8 pm

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 26

Georgia State at Charlotte (ESPNU) 12 pm

FIU at Liberty (ESPN3)  1 pm

Tulane at Southern Miss (Stadium)  2:30 pm

UTEP at Louisiana-Monroe (ESPNU)  3:30 pm

Houston Baptist at LA Tech (ESPN3)  7 pm

North Texas at Houston (ESPN+)  7 pm

Back to the top

FINAL:

UAB 42  South Alabama 10
Back to the top

Charlotte's second game in as many weeks has been called off due to COVID. Their opponent Georgia State just pulled out after a number of positive COVID tests results in Atlanta. Both programs are looking to reschedule this game for later in the year.

FAU will (hopefully) face the 49ers next Saturday at Howard Schnellenberger Field.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

FINAL:

Middle Tennessee 35  UTSA 37

The Blue Raiders perform much better offensively this week, but drop to 0-3 while the Roadrunners move to 3-0.

MTSU posted 172 more yards in total offense, and held the ball 11:20 longer in the loss.

Asher O'Hara was 31-of-47 for 372 yards for MT with 3 TD and 2 INT.
Back to the top

Wasn't expecting Middle to put up such a fight, although I am happy to see AOH (finally) play well.

For what it's worth, UTSA is the first 3-0 team in the nation.

Back to the top

FINAL:

FIU 34  Liberty 36

The Panthers lose their season opener in a thriller against the Liberty Flames.

RS-Freshman QB Stone Norton impressed behind center after taking over for Maryland transfer Max Bortenschlager and Kaylan Wiggins in the second half.

The standout from Nashville went 9-13 for 120 yards and 2TDs. Bortenschlager and Wiggins combined for 2-7.

FIU started the game with a kickoff return for a touchdown, their first since the 2012 Shula Bowl.

Back to the top

Im watching everybody else play football. Can not wait to experience FAU  football under Taggart.  Ps. Lane did a nice job vs the gators.
Back to the top

How did S. Miss get this bad this fast???? I think we now see why the HC bailed on them - SHAME ON HIM!!!!
Back to the top

FINAL:

Tulane 66 Southern Miss 24

The Golden Eagles have a day to be forgotten at home and are still searching for a win.

They give up 430 yards on the ground, and former FAU RB commit Frank Gore Jr. posted just seven yards on five carries.
Back to the top

FINAL:

UTEP 31  ULM 6

The Miners continue to rebuild in successful fashion after posting a convincing road win against the Warhawks.

For those keeping track, their three wins so far in 2020 surpasses the entire total from 2017 - 2019 (2).

Back to the top
Control functions: