Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Southern Miss - December 10th, 2020

Add topic

I am firmly in the boat of punting on the season. Send everyone home, say we’ll be back in Feb/March when camp would normally open. 

Not trying to COVID shame, I promise. But two COVID outbreaks in four weeks and SEVEN games affected by COVID this year makes me wonder if any of this is worth it??

And it’s not doom and gloom. It’s just the reality that none of this seems worth it. Come back in the spring, make it mandatory everyone gets a vaccine by then (assuming there is one by then; I believe we will have one avaliable by early Feb.), and try again in 2021. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Taggart needs to get these kids to stop partying and take this thing seriously. Stay smart and isolated .  Put the team in a bubble
Back to the top

I'm there with you Jake.  I've been lucky. Haven t missed a day of work this year. But I'm not shoulder to shoulder  with a hundred team mates. Feels like it is too difficult.  I'm getting the vaccine first chance I get. Just don't want to think about it any more. Exhausting
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

Taggart needs to get these kids to stop partying and take this thing seriously. Stay smart and isolated .  Put the team in a bubble
Posted On: Oct 8th 2020, 9:51 PM #396616

Bingo.  And we have a  winner. 🏆
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

How do you suppose FAU does that? Would love to hear your plan.
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

Posted On: Oct 8th 2020, 10:07 PM #396619

Yea it’s difficult to expect that of 18-22 year olds in a campus where there is regular contact with the general student population daily for the most routine of tasks. I’m with Jake. We had a game saw the team play and that was basically our Spring Game. We don’t need to deal with anymore uncertainty than we are already dealing with. Cancel the rest of the season and go home with an undefeated C-USA record and claim the conference title again based on win percentage 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

SeminOwl28 said

Posted On: Oct 8th 2020, 10:07 PM #396619

Yeah, all you can really do is ask the guys to take accountability for themselves in respect for their teammates.  Easier said than done with 18-21 year olds.  Just a crappy frustrating situation.  
Back to the top

I don’t think you could realistically have done a bubble at this level. The NBA and NHL (and the WNBA) had the finances, time, and luxury to space it out and keep it strict. 

The problem isn’t a player going to Subway or Chipotle to grab lunch. Wear the mask, socially  and you’re fine It’s going out to a bar after the win or another student not socially distancing in their own time. 

The bubble prevents that — and if you don’t follow the rules, you’re punished. What can Willie realistically do if he gets video of a player at the Irishman with no mask and socially distancing?

All of this sucks because it’s out of everyone’s hands. It’s up to fate, and playing the season when it comes down to the 11th hour is pointless. And this is from someone who hated wearing the mask for months. 

Ok, I’ve ranted enough. Go Jets! Oh wait. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

We don’t even know for sure if the kids were partying. If they were you think FAU Football the only kids partying? 
Back to the top

Lots of people made fun of the Big 10 and Pac 12 but the reality is the virus is ramping back up. Look at the stats in Europe and look at what is happening in the white house. All it takes is 1 assistant coach to get the virus and with contract tracing his whole unit could be out. Think all schools are playing by the same rules for contract tracing? Mike norvell got COVID and his family didn’t so chances are he got it at work. They played UM that weekend and not 1 other coach or player missed the game. How is that possible??? 
Back to the top
Control functions: