Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ Southern Miss - December 10th, 2020

Add topic

JakeElman said

I am firmly in the boat of punting on the season. Send everyone home, say we’ll be back in Feb/March when camp would normally open.

Agreed. Said this months before this "season" (or whatever you want to call this) started. These are college kids at the end of the day and no matter what threat the virus realsitically poses to them (or anyone), there is no reason to risk their health or even the reputational risk to the university because people need a college football fix. This so called season is a wash anyway with a big fat asterisk next to it whether games are played or not.

Back to the top

Local Owl said

@cbboarder…that is my mindset  also.  99.8%  recovery rate. I'm not shutting down my life with those odds. I'm smart. I'm careful. But my life has not changes. No body, and I mean no body, could have stopped this. A new virus with no knowledge on how to treat  it. Quite different today.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2020, 9:04 AM #396633

Where do you get your math, from Trump? 214,000 DEAD/7,600,000 = 2.8% DEAD NOT 0.2%! Thank God the Medical profession have learned how to treat this better or it would still be well over 5%!

And other than death, serious long term possibly lifelong issues with lungs and brain for many "survivors"!

800-900 DEAD per DAY NOW! Imagine if in Nam or in any WAR we lost 800-900 soldiers per DAY (over 5,000 to over 6,000 per week). Americans would burn down the WH. And this is innocent AMERCAN CITIZENS ON OUR HOME SOIL GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump gave up the fight and the Virus War after a month of declaring himself a "wartime" POTUS - FACT!

And sorry for getting political, but the misinformation (led by Trump himself) is killing Americans and ironically now, Trumps supporters at his rallies and political events and also limiting the economic recovery Trump has to have to survive!

And I don't blame the players or Coaches, even if they act perfect, they are all exposed to students who party and do irresponsible things off campus and bring the virus back to the classrooms and dorms, something the TEAM CANNOT CONTROL AT ALL!
Back to the top

Then you should lock down. Mean while I will continue my life. Let me be clearer. , people without under lying health issues that get infected  have a 99.8 % recovery rate. Heck , remove ny, nj , and conn  from the stats and the other 47 states did just fine
Back to the top

Let the teams make up their games and move the conference championship to 12/19
If the Big ten, pac 12, ACC, AAC can do it; we can do it too.
We do have some dumb commissioners in c-usa, give me f%&@ing break!
Back to the top

A few points here… The first was everything GeorgiaOwl said, so that was easy.

The next is a two-parter: you cannot remove the most effected areas, and say, "well, if not for those states…" those states are part of the whole (and there are some pretty obvious reasons why the virus would spread so well in highly packed populations, with some of our nation's most traveled international and domestic airports; with some of the most diverse  communities. And, those states weren't alone. For the same reasons, TX is number two in deaths; FL is number five. And the numbers (of infections) are rising in now over half the country.

And for the assumptions that players are off contracting this thing at parties,who are any of us to know? The most-recent cluster in New Zealand (and this is what you can accomplish with a national effort to contact trace) all came back to an elevator button, seriously. Maybe the players did a this-thing or that-thing, but in the absence of finger-pointing-evidence, I won't.

From the CDC, wearing a mask, washing your hands and keeping socially distant is the best way to remain uninfected. And again, low-risk individuals can feel fine while spreading the virus to their community.

Anyway. We're not the only team with Covid issues, or even repeated Covid issues. This is just what this season will be (I've started to look at the year as a prolonged camp for next season). So it goes.  

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Local Owl said

@cbboarder…that is my mindset  also.  99.8%  recovery rate. I'm not shutting down my life with those odds. I'm smart. I'm careful. But my life has not changes. No body, and I mean no body, could have stopped this. A new virus with no knowledge on how to treat  it. Quite different today.
Posted On: Oct 9th 2020, 9:04 AM #396633

Where do you get your math, from Trump? 214,000 DEAD/7,600,000 = 2.8% DEAD NOT 0.2%! Thank God the Medical profession have learned how to treat this better or it would still be well over 5%!

And other than death, serious long term possibly lifelong issues with lungs and brain for many "survivors"!

800-900 DEAD per DAY NOW! Imagine if in Nam or in any WAR we lost 800-900 soldiers per DAY (over 5,000 to over 6,000 per week). Americans would burn down the WH. And this is innocent AMERCAN CITIZENS ON OUR HOME SOIL GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!

Trump gave up the fight and the Virus War after a month of declaring himself a "wartime" POTUS - FACT!

And sorry for getting political, but the misinformation (led by Trump himself) is killing Americans and ironically now, Trumps supporters at his rallies and political events and also limiting the economic recovery Trump has to have to survive!

And I don't blame the players or Coaches, even if they act perfect, they are all exposed to students who party and do irresponsible things off campus and bring the virus back to the classrooms and dorms, something the TEAM CANNOT CONTROL AT ALL!
Posted On: Oct 9th 2020, 11:47 AM #396638

GA Owl - Thanks for making this political….Up until your post everyone has doing a fairly good job of avoiding the subject.

Yes, we get it. You don't like Trump and you blame him for everything….

Oh and your talking points are rubbish…
Back to the top

I’m bummed out that there won’t be a game to look forward to. Then next week is our bye. We are going to have 1 game played through October pretty much.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

A few points here… The first was everything GeorgiaOwl said, so that was easy.

The next is a two-parter: you cannot remove the most effected areas, and say, "well, if not for those states…" those states are part of the whole (and there are some pretty obvious reasons why the virus would spread so well in highly packed populations, with some of our nation's most traveled international and domestic airports; with some of the most diverse  communities. And, those states weren't alone. For the same reasons, TX is number two in deaths; FL is number five. And the numbers (of infections) are rising in now over half the country.

And for the assumptions that players are off contracting this thing at parties,who are any of us to know? The most-recent cluster in New Zealand (and this is what you can accomplish with a national effort to contact trace) all came back to an elevator button, seriously. Maybe the players did a this-thing or that-thing, but in the absence of finger-pointing-evidence, I won't.

From the CDC, wearing a mask, washing your hands and keeping socially distant is the best way to remain uninfected. And again, low-risk individuals can feel fine while spreading the virus to their community.

Anyway. We're not the only team with Covid issues, or even repeated Covid issues. This is just what this season will be (I've started to look at the year as a prolonged camp for next season). So it goes.  

Posted On: Oct 9th 2020, 3:32 PM #396643

I agree on the final point. If this year is just a precursor to next year, so be it. We take our lumps and enjoy whatever games there are. Many of the upperclassmen have a chance to come back and FAU has a great class coming in. 

Of course, FAU is positioned to open at UF, lol. 💀 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

We FINALLY have our make-up date for the postponed USM game: Thursday, December 10.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

S. Miss has found their future HC:

Southern Miss Director of Athletics Jeremy McClain announced Wednesday the hiring of Will Hall as the school's 22nd football coach.

Hall, a native of Amory, Miss., heads to Southern Miss after serving the last two years as offensive coordinator at Tulane.

As a player, Hall was a two-time Junior College All-American quarterback at Northwest Mississippi Community College before playing his two final seasons at North Alabama, where he earned the Harlon Hill Trophy in 2003 for top player in Division II.
Back to the top
Control functions: