Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2020 C-USA Football Championship Date Changed

Add topic

Conference USA Commissioner Judy MacLeod has announced that the date of the 2020 Ryan C-USA Football Championship has been changed to Friday, December 18. Kickoff is scheduled for 7:00 PM ET and the game will be televised by CBS Sports Network.

The shift of the Championship Game from its originally scheduled December 5th date will create two additional weeks to schedule games that were postponed due to COVID-19-related issues. Dates and matchups for those re-scheduled games will be announced at a later date.

Conference USA is hosting its 16th annual football championship game in 2020. The title game will feature champions from the East and West divisions of the league and the team with the highest league winning percentage will serve as host site for the game.
Back to the top

Great news for the conference. Sounds like FAU-Georgia Southern is on for Dec. 5th. A Friday night game in December would be great. Let's just hope it is in Boca and not in West Virginia.

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

Both Georgia Southern and FAU agreed to that date knowing FAU would not play in Statesboro if the Owls made the C-USA Championship, which was originally scheduled for 12/5. Therefor, this allows FAU's game at Georgia Southern to be played on on the fifth no matter if FAU is in the championship or not.

Moreover, this gives FAU the opportunity to either reschedule the home game vs. USF or the road conference-game at USM for the following weekend.

Finally, the game moves from noon to closer to primetime at 7:00. This locks the game in place on CBSSN. No way this gets flexed.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

After I asked a series of questions regarding the schedule, an FAU spokesperson said expect some news in the coming days about a rescheduled game. The spokesperson said that it is so much more than just agreeing to play a game, as all the logistics need to be worked out.

To me, this means that the program is working to reschedule the game at USM. The logistics for that game would be much more difficult to pin down than the logistics involved for hosting USF.

This answer came BEFORE C-USA announced it would move the championship. That news was probably the missing piece to the puzzle to get a trip to Hattiesburg worked out.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

This seemed  like a no brainer to me. Flexibility is a must if we want to have any resemblance of a football season. As of today, FAU 's season has been a joke. Let's hope the remaining games are completed.
Back to the top

Jack D Whidden III said

Both Georgia Southern and FAU agreed to that date knowing FAU would not play in Statesboro if the Owls made the C-USA Championship, which was originally scheduled for 12/5. Therefor, this allows FAU's game at Georgia Southern to be played on on the fifth no matter if FAU is in the championship or not.

Moreover, this gives FAU the opportunity to either reschedule the home game vs. USF or the road conference-game at USM for the following weekend.

Finally, the game moves from noon to closer to primetime at 7:00. This locks the game in place on CBSSN. No way this gets flexed.

Posted On: Oct 14th 2020, 3:24 PM #396749

You have to wonder though if we have another conference game postponed will that take precedence over playing GSU?

Back to the top

I can certainly see trying to fit the USM game into that slot because it could have conference standing implications.  But would we really want to play a meaningless game on Saturday against USF and then the conference championship game on Friday?

Only a potential conference game fitting into that now open slot makes sense to me.  And of course right now it would just be good to see any FAU football.
Back to the top

Conference game take precedence.  This move was made to benefit c-usa.
Back to the top

The97Revolution said

Great news for the conference. Sounds like FAU-Georgia Southern is on for Dec. 5th. A Friday night game in December would be great. Let's just hope it is in Boca and not in West Virginia.
Posted On: Oct 14th 2020, 3:19 PM #396747

West Virginia???
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

The97Revolution said

Posted On: Oct 14th 2020, 3:19 PM #396747

West Virginia???
Posted On: Oct 16th 2020, 2:27 PM #396788

Meaning Marshall would host the game and we would not be in it.

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top
Control functions: