Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations: Marshall 2020

Once again we lose to Marshall, but I believe with a full team we win this game or very close.  Here are the things I noticed Taggart’s play calling is not great, Tronti’s arm is not good hence he never saw the field at Indiana, too many penalties, our defense is legit, our offense is not good period.  We should be running the ball more rotating backs and allowing Tronti to throw short screens, his deep ball is terrible, the passes TJ chase caught were terrible because Chase adjusted to make all of  the catches.  

Our time man mgmt. and play calling was terrible. We didn’t catch Marshall off guard, a few uptempo plays would’ve helped, nope the entire team is too busy to see what Taggarts calling which is some bs run for zero yards.  There’s no creativity, gosh I miss Robison throwing bombs for huge yardage.  We should implement the triple option, Tronti’s arm won’t save us at all.  

I would love to see Jim Leavitt as the future coach of FAU.  His defense is what made USF a power years ago and it’s something our players can thrive in.  Our defense will win us another 2 games for sure.  Officiating was bad in this game and so was last years Marshall game.  Missed calls happen often and we can’t argue it to the league office.  Another reason Kiffin left, this conference is a joke.  

I think we need out of this conference.  Look at our facilities we deserve a move up and what we have done lately win 2 bowl games and conference titles in a few years.  Our AD needs to get us out of this crap conference,  The sun belt is better this year and have more teams ranked then CUSA. Once the Pac12 plays Marshall will be out of the top 25, strength of schedule is too weak they will say.  No kidding we are in CUSA.  
With us not playing enough games we might not get into a bowl game unles we win 5 straight. Besides the amazing defense, the offense is very Partridge like and giving me fits.  What did you notice or feel about this game and season?
Back to the top

This is how I view this game. First we are under a completely new coaching staff to begin with to start off the season. We also played ONE GAME before this Marshall game down 6 starters and 43 players from camp. Also a majority of our guys missed out on practice time leading up to this game. Tronti is not going to be the long time answer at QB and we knew that after what happened to Chris Robison. This game couldve gone a lot worse and this team shows a lot of fight and very good defense to build off of. I wouldnt panic just yet.
Back to the top

Totally agree. The qb position is THE most important position . Especially in college. We have , imho,a nice line of future qb's set. Skill players set. OL set. A D that is young and good. We just need game time to gel. It will come. We are ok. This dang virus messed up a good run. But it will get better.
Back to the top

The defense if Things keep going in the right direction can be a top 10 scoring defense either this year or future years.

If you take out Tronti’s sacks, the running backs had a good ypc average again. The key was not having our tackles Ettiene and Robinson, who I think are both future all conference players. It was a huge ask to have the offense do well.

The receivers are all transfers, and transfers are hit and miss. While I think they’re talented it takes time to get a productive rotation, especially without Robison.

One thing I thought Tronti needs to improve on is a keeps on bobbling I perfect snaps from the shotgun. Those are not on Weber. It’s obvious that if Shedeur Sanders comes here he should be the starter for the first game in 2021. 

I thought it was a game that showed how close we are to having a great team that can eventually do better than 11-3.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

The defense if Things keep going in the right direction can be a top 10 scoring defense either this year or future years.

If you take out Tronti’s sacks, the running backs had a good ypc average again. The key was not having our tackles Ettiene and Robinson, who I think are both future all conference players. It was a huge ask to have the offense do well.

The receivers are all transfers, and transfers are hit and miss. While I think they’re talented it takes time to get a productive rotation, especially without Robison.

One thing I thought Tronti needs to improve on is a keeps on bobbling I perfect snaps from the shotgun. Those are not on Weber. It’s obvious that if Shedeur Sanders comes here he should be the starter for the first game in 2021. 

I thought it was a game that showed how close we are to having a great team that can eventually do better than 11-3.
Posted On: Oct 25th 2020, 3:34 PM #397029

Jim Leavitt is a great defensive mind and I think we can keep this defense going for years to come, defense for the most part is very young. Tronti though does have a great supporting cast and we are one piece away from an undefeated team this year, if we had some decent QB play on Saturday we would have won. Tronti is a great QB for his designed packages like what Lane ran last year and if were able to run him like that we would have success but we do not have a pocket passer like we did last year. I wouldnt give up on Tronti because Marshalls defense is legit but he definitely needs to have better pocket presence and I like the offense needs to play with a little bit more tempo.

The future is very bright though!
Back to the top

THE WILLIE WAGON said

jgf2017 said

Jim Leavitt is a great defensive mind and I think we can keep this defense going for years to come, defense for the most part is very young. Tronti though does have a great supporting cast and we are one piece away from an undefeated team this year, if we had some decent QB play on Saturday we would have won. Tronti is a great QB for his designed packages like what Lane ran last year and if were able to run him like that we would have success but we do not have a pocket passer like we did last year. I wouldnt give up on Tronti because Marshalls defense is legit but he definitely needs to have better pocket presence and I like the offense needs to play with a little bit more tempo.

Posted On: Oct 25th 2020, 7:53 PM #397031

Taggart said postgame they didnt go tempo because they were missing so many players. If they went tempo I thought the team would have worn out
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

THE WILLIE WAGON said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Oct 25th 2020, 7:53 PM #397031

Taggart said postgame they didnt go tempo because they were missing so many players. If they went tempo I thought the team would have worn out
Posted On: Oct 25th 2020, 9:28 PM #397032

Honestly would have rather had the team get worn out then to have the offense stagnant and consistently get no yardage on 1st and 2nd down.
Back to the top

I’ve watched a lot of football and these games happen and usually it’s a blowout. But our defense was great the whole time. It’s the best defensive performance I’ve seen for FAU. It was extremely impressive. We have stars all over that defense and a tackling machine in Lassiter. Obviously Leavitt is calling amazing games and I think Patrick is doing great things with the DL.

But if we can’t get our starting OL playing then I don’t think we can overcome that offensively. Now Noel is hurt but might play through it. 

I do think if Robison was the QB we probably win. But I think Tronti can win games but the Starting OL needs to be starting.
Back to the top

Who in the heck is in charge if FAU  mobile ticketing. Every time, every time,  I log in they ask me to change my pass word. For god sake WHY.   Just let me have my tickets. This is suppose to be easier. So ridiculously frustrating.
Back to the top

I am feeling good about this week. Smarter people than me have convinced me to be optimistic. 

FAU needs to get the tight ends involved. I know they’re undermanned there. But I’d like to see a play like the Logan Peterson TD against Charlotte. Slants, wheel route, etc. Not every pass has to be a curl route or a deep bomb. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top
Control functions: