Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Stadium Expansion

Add topic

I read that when FAU Stadium was built there was the possibility of expanding it to 65,000 seats. I think that if the stadium got expanded it could really increase our chances of moving up to the P5. I think it could also make the Boca Bowl a much bigger bowl to maybe have P5 programs face off. Also, there could be events like concerts too.
Back to the top

The football facilities will never outweigh how disgusting the basketball and baseball facilities are, especially when you’re talking about moving up conferences. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Does no good to expand a stadium when it's 1/4th full at times now. Fill the thing first and as jake said , baseball and basketball I see high schools with better facilities.  Work on that
Back to the top

Keep the stadium at 30K, no need to expand it if the other facilities are below average.
Back to the top

I am sure some designs left expansion options, but the current stadium does not allow for easy expansion.

When the stadium was built, people talked about the "other events'' would come, but they never have.

Your normal summer concerts series uses Cruzan amphitheater 30 min up the road, and they only hold 20kish seats.

There are too many other venues in South Florida for us to compete with, and this is before we even start with how the city of Boca would push back.

With more and more people choosing to stay home and watch sports, expansion is not common.

The Dolphins subtracted roughly 15k seats when they upgraded hard rock.

The idea now increase the experience and create demand.

UCF had a season ticket waiting list going into 2020. You don't go out and spend millions build and 10k-20k extra seats.

You make people feel like they have to renew or lose your spot. If people feel it's easy to get a 20 dollar cheap seat in week 7, they are less likely to dish out 500 bucks for a season.

College football has seen attendance decreases going back the last 5 years or so.

Fans can set up two TVs in the living room and watch another on a laptop and not deal with security giving a friend crap because her purse was two inches too big or lines to get a beer.

I enjoy going because I love watching the game with people and celebrating with friends and strangers, but FAU only has about 10k-16k people who feel that way on most weekends.
Back to the top

JakeElman said

The football facilities will never outweigh how disgusting the basketball and baseball facilities are, especially when you’re talking about moving up conferences. 
Posted On: Nov 19th 2020, 4:45 PM #397873

I will keep saying this:

Basketball and Baseball facilities are like toppings when it comes to moving up conferences.

Texas does not give a single…..care, how nice UCF's new baseball stadium is.

The only question is, "Hey ESPN and Fox, if we add the Orlando market, will it add more revenue than we would have to split? No? Ok, tell them we said nahhhh.

Our basketball team could play on outside courts, and It would not matter if we added TV dollars.

I do not even think the Burrow is that bad. There is nothing wrong with it outside of its size.

With us unable to host many fans this season, I am curious what our ratings have been on the Fox Sports affiliates.

Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

Keep the stadium at 30K, no need to expand it if the other facilities are below average.

Posted On: Nov 19th 2020, 6:09 PM #397876

Agreed. We need upgrades before expansion. The stadium could use some minor improvements (TV incorporation, Student Areas Improvements, etc.) but most of the money should be used for all the other sports. The Soccer Stadium has been recently renovated with new bleachers, and it looks great. The new tennis facility looks great as well. The arena and the baseball stadium are the priorities, and it looks like FAU is starting to put money into them.

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

The basketball arena is fine, honestly the arena would look a thousand times better if they were able to put seating behind each basket, it looks incomplete without seats there.

At least we have a video board now.
Back to the top

To me the Burrow is a great place to watch a basketball game. The baseball stadium is fun too. 

Not to get too off topic. But a few years ago a lot of G5 schools applied might not be the right word but in effect applied for what they thought might have been a P5 opening. 

It was like maybe 10 or so teams including schools like San Diego State. There were a few AAC applicants but there were a lot from other conferences.

I don’t think it’s true that a school has to be in the AAC to possibly get into the P5. Most fans have no clue which conference teams like Houston or UCF are in. They don’t know that they’re supposedly in a better conference than Marshall or we are. 

But I think when the next round of applying happens we should be talking about how if we got in we would upgrade the football stadium. That’s a nice idea to maybe make it 45-50 thousand seats instead of 65 thousand. 
Back to the top

This is what I wrote last year after the Abessinio family donated $3 million, and this came from an on-record conversation with Brian White. 

“Other renovation ideas that have been floated around for FAU Arena include new scoreboards and video boards, upgrading the current suites, and an enhanced media workspace. Media members are not permitted to enter the media workroom immediately following games because the cheer and dance teams use that space to change.”

That doesn’t include the locker rooms. FAU said publicly and privately they hoped to have a true visitor’s loccker room. 

FAU receives $3 million gift from Rocco and Mary Abessinio to rename basketball court, renovate facilities - Sports - The Palm Beach Post - West Palm Beach, FL

So the video boards is done. Now you need locker rooms, which he had mentioned there were already renders of at the time, and the other listed additions. 

Enhanced media workspace may sound minor or nit picky. But an enhanced media workspace would also be a major benefit to dance team and cheer team, because they share that space with the 3-4 people that cover the game. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top
Control functions: