Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Top 25 watch

You have to know how programs are built. It’s not about getting 30k for UAB. I see so many FAU license plates and gear and I think if we had a real opponent like say USC the place would be packed. South Florida fans want to go see name teams. 

Again, it takes knowing the history of how programs are built to know what’s going on. As you get older you gain more experience and realize you didn’t know much of anything when you were younger.

This is about our location and being a cool school. There will be a point where we become a big draw and never look back. We absolutely would be more loved than these other schools like Cincinnati. 

People want to be here and vacation here. We can have a plan in the coming years of being a big football school and maybe one day compete for a playoff spot. It’s not about Getting 20-30k for UAB. And it’s not about selling out season tickets like the Nights.

It’s About a point of no return when the team is into the top 25 maybe deep and the exposure is through the roof one year or multiple years to really achieve the end goal which is maybe getting into the P5. 
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

owlfan1 said

jgf2017 said

This is the 4th straight season that we have received top 25 votes at some point. I think that if and when we get in we will be more of a team that people will like. 

G5 Teams that have recently been in the top 25  like Boise State and a Cincinnati and Liberty and Coastal Carolina don’t spark the imagination. They’re boring names in places people don’t want to be, even UCF. But if we make the top 25 and people see Florida Atlantic, they’ll be more drawn to it as we have a great name. One great year and when people are talking about us as a premier G5 team in a place that people want to be. We can position ourselves to be the premier G5 team. Location matters a lot more than some people might think.
Posted On: Nov 25th 2020, 4:09 PM #398110

Not sure I agree with this. Boise State has a long history of being ranked and pulled off a Fiesta Bowl win against Oklahoma. They are a known commodity with a big name. Coastal Carolina seems to be this year's darling. They have been a TV a ton and didn't just crack the top 25, but are pushing the top 15 (I think they were ranked #15 at one point). Look at basketball and the Sweet 16. There is often a Cinderella team and it doesn't much matter where they are located. People tune in and root for the underdog; especially if the underdog has a good story.

Sure location matters for attracting students, but fans who might never go to a game will still jump on the bandwagon from all across the country based on wanting to affiliate with an up and comer (see above mention of Sweet 16). I don't know that Florida Atlantic as a name has any more allure to the casual fan than UCF, Boise State, Coastal Carolina, etc. However, it would be nice for FAU to get some visibility and have a broader fan base that extends well beyond FAU territory.

All this in mind, FAU doesn't have a signature win this season. I wish we had played Minnesota. A win against them and we would be in the top 25 based solely on where Minnesota was at the beginning of the season. Obviously they are now nowhere near where people expected them to be, but an early season win against a BIGTEN team would matter.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: Nov 25th 2020, 9:46 PM #398121

Yup location only matters with students and recruiting.

FAU needs fans and TV money.

Cinniatti's athletic budget is almost twice as ours.

Liberty has over 100k students between online and on-campus and like Notre Dame and BYU they have become the face of an entire religion.

Coastal is a very similar school to us and recently won a baseball national title!

When bigger conferences see our location they think about fickle South Florida fans.

They see under 10k showing up to see an 11-3 team in a championship game after having a huge name coach for three seasons.

FAU has hired a couple of new faces in marketing and in public outreach, which will hopefully help.

Posted On: Nov 26th 2020, 12:02 PM #398127

I think these are all sound reasons why we have not flourished.  I think we lack a lot in our marketing efforts to really stand out.  You need to give fans a reason to show up, we need to create an atmosphere that even if we  don't win  a new fan can say I had a lot of fun overall. it will take some time.
Back to the top

We haven’t accomplished all of those things because we need to make the top 25 and have matchups with name teams when we’re good. 

Most fans have no clue what conference any G5 team is in. There’s only so much you can do until the team makes the top 25 and gets that kind of exposure. And maybe get deep into the top 25 and play a bowl game against a name team. 

That’s why we should keep playing great teams just about every year in the regular season instead of the Danny White model of playing mediocre P5 teams to boost his resume. 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

We haven’t accomplished all of those things because we need to make the top 25 and have matchups with name teams when we’re good. 

Most fans have no clue what conference any G5 team is in. There’s only so much you can do until the team makes the top 25 and gets that kind of exposure. And maybe get deep into the top 25 and play a bowl game against a name team. 

That’s why we should keep playing great teams just about every year in the regular season instead of the Danny White model of playing mediocre P5 teams to boost his resume. 
Posted On: Nov 27th 2020, 1:42 PM #398143
We do not need to beat a top 25 team to get a statement win, but we need to beat a P5 team. Then we have a chance to crack the top 25. Coastal Carolina got attention for beating Kansas in week one. Beating an unranked P5 team launched Coastal Carolina. Turns out Kansas is awful (0-7), but that doesn't matter much now that Coastal has maintained momentum and continues to win. The rest of the Coastal schedule is soft. However, in a strange year they played a ranked Louisiana team and won. Of course, we have to remember the rankings were very skewed early without BIGTEN and PAC12 teams included in the polls. I still maintain that an early season win against Minnesota (on the original schedule) would have put us in a similar position to Coastal Carolina.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I agree with all of that. Getting in the top 25 means you’re always on the front page of everything. Because top 25 teams get that kind of coverage. 

If and when we get into the top 25, it will be the first time most people will know who we are. We do have people that know us now but it won’t be everyone until we make the top 25 and stay in.

I barely knew that Coastal Carolina was even FBS Now everyone knows them. They’re a great example. 

As much as I think we’ve made ourselves a known commodity, it won’t be complete until we make the top 25. And it’s important to stay in it for a while too. Everyone knows Coastal Carolina now because they’ve been in the top 25 for a while.

Next year will be interesting. We have the talent to maybe get to the top 25 but we need a passing threat. Obviously we start with Florida. I’m not saying we’re going to win. But Florida is a good example of what I’m talking about as scheduling. You’ll find them with a first year starting QB. Florida is great and will probably be great next year. But if we schedule good P5 teams, eventually there will be a season opener when we return a lot of talent and play against a first year QB or a team that’s down. We probably won’t be a team next year to pull off an upset. But with the recruiting classes, it can happen especially if there’s a really good QB coming back. 
Back to the top

The game getting cancelled hurt us in the polls. In the AP we went from having 5 to none. In the coaches we have 1 vote now. 
Back to the top

Thank you lane !
Back to the top

Lol the AP makes no sense. We lose all 5 votes because our opponent cancelled our game while we were on the team bus ready to go to the airport. We were ready to play that game with running backs who hadn’t taken a snap all year. There was talk of Tronti playing RB. 

Obviously I’ve been a big supporter of Taggart. There are things I actually kind of disagree with I’m not a total fanboy. I think Tronti should’ve gotten some drives these last 2 games and the play calling hasn’t been perfect. 

But you can’t argue with receiving votes in the polls even if it’s only 1 this week. Makes no sense to lose all the AP votes. 
Back to the top

It's probably because we lost our top two RB's (temporarily) an that's our main identity.

Once they are back and we whoop GA Southern's behind, we should be back in the RV camp.
Back to the top

we don't deserve to be in the top 25 yet; let's see how everything unfolds in the next 2 games.
Back to the top
Control functions: