Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football 2021 Class Notebook: In Game Prospect Evaluations

Add topic

Willie Taggart and his staff have done a great job landing some next-level talent that could take FAU to new heights.

And despite a crazy and unorthodox high school football season, we've still been able hit the road and see 11 of the Owls' 24 verbal commits along side one preferred walk-on.

Here are my evaluations of what type of players these prospects are, where they might play, and what former and current Owls they could compare to. Of note, these comparisons re not direct talent comparisons, but meant towards style of play and position type.

Dwight Dassaw, DE, 6-1, 225 lbs, Miami Palmetto - On a defense that has Power Five talent all over it, Dassaw (photo above) seems to be part of every play. Lining up along the line doing everything from rushing the passer to dropping in coverage, Dassaw plays with great instincts. He has an innate ability to keep backs and quarterbacks in front of him and make the play. I can see Dassaw behind stand up OLB/DE, but his ability to always sniff out the ball could have him playing inside as well. Owl comparison: Adarius Glanton

Brandon Schabert, WR, 6-2, 198 lbs, American Heritage Delray - Brandon tore up defenders playing for one of Florida's top seven on seven teams, Florida Fire. He has top-end speed rocking 4.44 laser time, giving him the ability to take the top of any defense. Brandon is truly a "weapon" and can line up at all three receiver spots and be a runner out of the wildcat. Because of his ability to run after the catch, I expect him to be used in the slot along with creative packages to get the ball in his hands. This was one of my more challenging comparisons as there has never been an Owl with this size and speed combination. Owl Comparison: Bigger version of Lucky Whitehead

Zuberi Mobley - RB, 5-10, 185 lbs, Miami Northwestern - Mobley, who plays for one of the most offense talented teams in the country, does the most with his opportunities being a threat to break the big one any time he touches it. He plays the position with a good low center of gravity and is at his best when making one cut and go. Mobley has always been known for his speed but has also added some nice size heading into his senior year. I would expect Mobley to get an opportunity in the return game as well. Owl Comparison: Diivory Edgecomb

Okino King, OL, 6-2, 298 lbs, Miami Northwestern - King, who plays right guard, is a natural mauler and road grader. He plays with good upper body strength and does an excellent job keeping his weight over his feet, preventing him from whiffing on blocks. King plays the game with a nasty edge and does a great job of finishing his blocks. Owl Comparison: Antonyo Woods

Jahmal Edrine WR, 6-3, 196 lbs, Ft Lauderdale - A physically imposing natural pass catcher with excellent ball skills and great body control. Edrine simply knows how to position his body to make highlight-reel catches look easy. He is also an and nasty and willing blocker. These attributes will have him contributing at a high level early in his freshmen year. Edrine has the potential to be an all-time FAU great. Owl Comparison: John Mitchell and Kalib Woods.

Jahbari Hill DB, 6-1, 185 lbs, Delray Atlantic - Hill is a very physical defensive back who already looks like he has spent time in a college weight room. Hill plays corner and even some running at Atlantic high school, but due to his ability to come downhill with violence and make big hits, I could see him playing the "Owl" position or any safety positions. Hill is also an ace on special teams and will make an impact early on those units. Owl Comparison: Ahman Ross

Jadai Smith, CB, 6-2, 170, Dr.Phillips - Smith is a true outside shutdown cover corner with a Power Five frame. He is tall with a long wingspan and can cover tons of space in a short amount of time. He also excels at getting off blocks and coming downhill in run support. Smith has the potential to have his name called during the draft in 3-4 years. Owl Comparison: James Pierre

Julius Barfield DE 6-4, 220 lbs, Eau Gallie - A gifted natural pass rusher who easily beats tackles upfield with natural bend and a strong bull rush. Barfield also does a great job setting the edge and not overrunning the ball carries when rushing up the field. His frame could keep him as a stand-up pass rusher or even kicked down inside and play some three-technique in certain situations. Owl Comparison: Corey Henry

Fred Eaford WR, 5-11, 160 lbs, Deerfield Beach - Eaford has quick feet a body twitch that makes him a deadly route runner. He easily beats man coverage with single moves that get defensive backs spinning around. Eaford also has a nack to make the one haded catch in traffic look easy. Owl Comparison: Cortez Gent

Cam'Ron Silmon DB, 5-10, 170 lbs, Trinity Christian School - Silmon is indeed a jack of all trades in Trinty's defense. Trinty plays in everything from safety, Nickle, to linebacker, where he is an elite blitzer. And what is a common theme for all the 2021 defensive back commits is that he is too very physical and another big hitter. Silmon is also the leader of Trinty's defense and special teams, making calls and directing traffic. Owl Comparison: Andrew Soroh

Anthony Earle, OL, 6-3, 310 lbs, Cardinal Gibbons - A.Earle, who plays right tackle, has naturally fluid movements and handles speed rushers with his quick drop step. He uses his balance and strength to take on bull rushes and spin moves back inside. Earle has seen two five star pass rushers this season in 2021 Alabama commit Dallas Turner and 2022 Shamar Stewart and held them both sackless. He is well-coached a technically advanced for his age. In 2019 Cardinal Gibbons had Gerald Mincey, who ended up being a UF signee, and I do not see much difference between him and Earle. Owl Comparison: Brandon Walton

Michael Earle, OL, 6-1, 290 lbs, Cardinal Gibbons - M. Earle, who plays guard right next to his twin brother, is also extremely well-coached with good technique. He does a fantastic job getting to the second level of the defense and finding defenders. He also pulls with quickness and fishies his blocks. M.Earle could have easily gotten a scholarship from another Group of Five schools or FCS program but chose to take a preferred walk-on spot to be at FAU. He is a massive steal for the Owls. Owl Comparison: Roman Fernandez
Back to the top

Thank you so much for recognizing Anthony & Michael Earle. 
Back to the top

Wow great write-up, Shane. Excited for all of these recruits to make it on campus. I'm always interested in the CB position, we always end up with P5 level talent there. It sounds like Ja'dai Smith is in that mold. Also, I'm surprised Cam'ron Silmon did not follow Sanders. Glad we kept him
Back to the top
Control functions: