Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Conference Tetris: Pre-Summer, Summer Doldrums

Add topic

Drop UTEP, UTSA, Rice and Southern Miss. Drop divisions. Add a fifth out-of-conference game. The two teams with the best record play for a championship.

UNT and La Tech could be next on the chopping block, if we find the right fillers, say, Liberty and Army… It reduces our footprint and travel expenses (and all the regional talk we've talked). And I wouldn't feel bad for those dropped, I imagine they'd find new homes.

The fifth out-of-conference game makes us all a bit of an Independent Hybrid. Folks who need money can scheduled another money game. Folks who want to compete can try'n find their best match-up. Folks who want to play their in-state neighbors… And so on.

On a scale of one-to-stupid, it's maybe an eight or a nine; but it ain't all-stupid.
Back to the top

Go A-Sun for all sports except football and go AAC for football only
Back to the top

C-USA offices are in Dallas and it is unlikely that dropping those teams would get any support.
I believe going to A-SUN in other sports would hurt our overall revenue needed for football.
Back to the top

A-SUN is a step back, no can do…

But the SBC is actually a step up now. 

Who would have thunk it a few years ago?

SMH. 
Back to the top

Most of the time, when we have this conference talk, we focus on what another conference could do for us (i.e. pulling us into, for some manufactured reason or other, their existing, working structure). Now there's nothing wrong with the kindness of strangers but… My original post was meant to be more of an, "How can we help ourselves? internally?" If we dropped (the majority of) CUSA west members, I doubt anyone would argue we keep the offices there. It barely makes sense to have them there now. I could google it to be sure, but I'd bet office space around Murfreesboro or Huntington or Birmingham would be cheaper than Dallas. And more central, even now. Or more comparatively, Charlotte or Atlanta or Nashville. Anytime we're talking about changing our conference and we come back to, "but this or that is the way our conference does or has a what-have-you," yea, we know, that's the problem. I guess I was arguing that we should let the conference eat its own tail, and take bets on who survives.
Back to the top

At the end of the day as a G5 team it doesn’t really matter. We go undefeated we end up ranked and have a shot at a NY6 Bowl no matter the conference and that’s as far as it goes whether you’re in the SBC, AAC, our terrible conference, MAC or MWC
Back to the top

That's a fair point for bowl games and rankings. But the quality of opponents, the conference, TV contracts, game day experience, lowering athletic fees (or at least being less dependent on them), recruiting interests and so on matter for the other 12-13 games too. I want to end the year ranked. And I want a NY6 bowl. But I don't wanna pay for three channels and two website subscriptions to watch one team where the announcers can't figure out what the hell to call us. Our car's not taking the corners well, and sure, we could get better tires, but how realistic is it, to keep on upgrading this Geo Metro?
Back to the top

MAC and SBC agreed to play Thursday games and that was a part of their ESPN deals…not 100% sure, but fairly confident that C-USA did not want to go that route for obvious reasons.

But when you do that you have little option(s) left…like three channels and three websites, etc.

I mean, guess it wouldn't be terrible for one or two as long as you had a full week and a half prior to the game, but to toss it in the way we had it done against GSU was absolute TRASH.
Back to the top

Rick said

MAC and SBC agreed to play Thursday games and that was a part of their ESPN deals…not 100% sure, but fairly confident that C-USA did not want to go that route for obvious reasons.

But when you do that you have little option(s) left…like three channels and three websites, etc.

I mean, guess it wouldn't be terrible for one or two as long as you had a full week and a half prior to the game, but to toss it in the way we had it done against GSU was absolute TRASH.
Posted On: Jan 2nd 2021, 6:56 PM #399712

They also play tuesdays and wednesdays. Great exposure but not ideal for a fan base, alum, and students.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Exactly...of course the option is playing on Saturdays on CBSSN or Stadium while there are 50 other choices.
Back to the top
Control functions: