Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU @ James Madison - January 5, 2021

Add topic

FAU Heads to Virginia for Fourth Ever Meeting with JMU

What: Florida Atlantic (5-3) vs. James Madison (3-4)

When: Tuesday, January 5, @ 4 PM Eastern

Where: Atlantic Union Bank Center

Series: The Dukes are undefeated in three total matchups against the Owls.

JMU Team Site: Here

TV: None

Stream: FloSports *Subscription Required

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

JMU at a Glance:

Offense - 77.9 PPG, 45% FG, 31.8% 3PT

Defense - 69.6 PPGA, 41.1% FGA, 29.5% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.3 RPG Dukes, 37.3 RPG Opponents

Notables

First year JMU Head Coach Mark Byington has moved on from a seven-year tenure at Georgia Southern in hopes to return the Dukes to the upper echelon of the CAA.

The Dukes last made the NCAA Tournament in 2013 before winning the CAA Regular Season title in 2015. The program has not been to a post-season tournament since.

Last time out, JMU was upended for the second time in as many games. Their 80-73 loss to Morgan State was their third straight when playing Division I opponents.

Guard Matt Lewis netted a game high 21 points in the loss. The senior from Virginia is ranked No. 28 nationally with a stellar 21.1 PPG. Lewis is also the team's top rebounder, averaging 5.6 RPG.

FAU at a Glance:

Offense - 86.8 PPG, 48.3% FG, 39.9% 3PT

Defense - 63.6 PPGA, 41.2% FGA, 36.4% 3PTA

Rebounding - 41.6 RPG Owls, 32.8 RPG Opponents

Notables

Previously scheduled to face the Florida Gators in Gainesville on December 19, the Owls were forced to scramble to find a new opponent as UF cancelled the contest following the emotional wake from forward Keyontae Johnson's horrific collapse the week before.

Florida College, an NAIA program from a Tampa suburb, answered the Owls' call. The Falcons traveled to Boca for a late afternoon tip the following Monday, in which the Owls came away victorious with a 107-72 thumping.

In the win, senior forward Jailyn Ingram owned a game-high 26 points and 5 3-pointers. Not far behind with 16 points is sophomore guard BJ Greenlee, who recorded his fifth straight double-digit outing.

Their performances in the win over Florida College came as no surprise as Ingram and Greenlee are first and second in scoring for the team. They average 14.9 and 12.1 PPG, respectively. Forward Karlis Silins and guard Michael Forrest are tied for third with 9.5 PPG. Ingram is also the team leader in rebounds with 5.8 per game.

As a team, the Owls continue to dominate along the offensive glass with 14.6 ORPG. This ranks second in Conference USA and 13th in the nation.

After the game against Florida College, FAU saw their C-USA opening series against Middle Tennessee called off due to a COVID-19 outbreak within the Blue Raider program. As a result, this game against JMU was hastily scheduled as home-and-home series with the Dukes' eventual visit to Boca Raton still to be announced.

Following the contest, the Owls will remain in Virginia to face an reloaded Old Dominion program in Norfolk on Friday.

Latest Line: FAU +1

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Line finally came out this morning. It opened at JMU -1 but has shifted to FAU -2 since then. Interesting movement...

Back to the top

Getting close to tip from Harrisonburg. We may need a big time birthday performance from guard BJ Greenlee to match JMU's Matt Lewis.

Back to the top

Love seeing Martin getting another start. He's only 6 foot, but he sure is a physical presence out there.

Back to the top

FAU can't hit a bucket to save their life right now. Currently 0-6 from the arc, including two straight airballs.

Back to the top

The team must have seen that tweet because they turned it on right after!

Back to the top

JMU has finally made their first three of the game. And if it wasn't for Blackshear, the Dukes very well would have put this one out of reach already.

Back to the top

The middle part of the second half was UGLY, but the Owls hit back-to-back threes and get a couple of stops to fight their way back into it.

Back to the top

FINAL. JMU beats the Owls 79-70.

The late comeback effort wasn't enough to overcome the horrific middle section of the second half.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2020-21 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top
Control functions: