Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

WEEKEND THREAD: FAU @ Old Dominion - January 8 & 9, 2021

Add topic

Awful. No way to sugar coat it. Owls lost every 50/50 opportunity tonight, leading to another Monarch victory.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2020-21 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

For as strong as the Owls started, FAU looked helpless in the final 25 minutes of the game. Dusty May's boys drop below .500 for the first time since the season opening week with a 64-55 loss to Old Dominion.

Quick Hits

• Turnovers absolutely killed the Owls tonight. Their 23 turnovers were the most since a 77-44 loss on November 22, 2013 vs. University of Detroit Mercy

• Jailyn Ingram scored 11 in the opening than seven and a half minutes, but was unable to find the bottom of the net since.  This does not mean he was totally absent. He hauled 10 boards and dished 6 assists, game-highs in both categories. This is his second double-double of the season.

• Free throws were in short order for the Owls. FAU had eight trips to that charity stripe, with the first call not coming until three minutes into the second half. On the other hand, ODU had 28 free thrown attempts.

• Michael Forrest's struggles continues. The Blanche Ely product went 2-12 FG, including 1-9 from the arc. He missed eight straight three point attempts before converting his lone triple.

• Dusty May praised his team's opening ten minutes, but was audibly disappointed in how the Owls reacted to ODU shifting into a different defensive look. "We just kept missing wide open, wide open, wide open, wide open shots," an exhausted May said. "And then when you turn it over like we did and send them to the free throw line, it doesn't bode well."

• Rivalry Week should provide extra motivation for the program to correct the mistakes from their three-game skid in Virginia. "If (rivalry week) doesn't fire you up, then you don't have much substance to you." May added that the team will have to have a great week at practice before facing a fast-paced FIU squad.

NEXT: The Owls will take on Florida International (8-4, 2-2) in a two game set. The first match up will be at FIU, Thursday night at 7:00 before the Owls finally make their return to The Burrow for game two on Saturday afternoon.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

To the let them back in and lose is a bummer. Hopefully the team can right the ship against FIU. That seems like a good time for me to start getting into basketball for the season
Back to the top

I agree with Jack, the team needs to work on limiting turnovers with a better awareness of their passing lanes and free throws.
Totally different outcome if these areas improve.
Back to the top

I'm not a basketball guy. But I follow most FAU  sports. Over the years , I've watched FAU  have average to below average teams. What will it take to become above averagr? I've read that coach may is highly thought of in the business. Is it talent?  Luck? I can look at our baseball team and see our weaknesses. Same with football. But I'm ignorant when it comes to basketball. No need to be player specific. Just in general.
Back to the top

I believe it is difficult to attract top basketball talent to FAU until the program begins to win.
It is a tough position to be in when trying to improve first, then hoping to recruit better after.
Just my opinion.
Back to the top

I love NBA ball not much of a college hoops fan maybe if we were better I would be. I haven’t been excited about FAU basketball since the Mike Jarvis days which was about a decade ago. Not sure what the issues are with the program we have a solid mid major facility the Heat have even used it for training camp in the past. Feels like program has been stuck in sub .500 with no meaningful postseason appearances in forever. Wonder if it’ll ever change 
Back to the top

In fau baseball, we always have top quality position players. Pitching is always the key. And every team is going after the same guys. Fau has a winning program and signs some of those targets.  I think basketball is way more difficult to convince a kid to sign based on our history.
Back to the top

It all starts at point guard and we are in need there. That's pretty much it alongside having one standout player who everyone focuses on shutting down. 
Back to the top

Who knew this whole time we should have just kept Jarvis….

He had that one really good season. Better than anything since by far.

Sigh.

Almost baseball season! The team that consistently wins and pumps out players who sign for a nice pay day!

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top
Control functions: