Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs FIU - January 14 & 16, 2021

Add topic

Hold on to your butts… This is going to be a close finish.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Here's the close finish……

Back to the top

Winchester to shoot two. FAU up 79-76 with 12 seconds left.

Back to the top

Winchester misses the front end, but converts the second. Forrest defends the FIU shooter as best as he can, but he converts from beyond NBA distance.

Owls lead by one with five seconds left.

Back to the top

BOOM! WHAT A WIN FOR THE OWLS!

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2020-21 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

Nice UPSET WIN!

Hopefully we can pull off the 2nd one as well  :cool:
Back to the top

FAU pulls out their grittiest win of the season to improve to .500 overall, 1-2 in the conference standings.

Here are tonight's Quick Hits from the thrilling 81-79 upset over the Panthers.

Quick Hits

• Dominating the Glass was FAU's goal tonight, an easier task to accomplish with FIU center Osasumwen Osaghae no longer with the program. The Owls won the battle on the boards 46-23.

• Second Chance Points allowed FAU to keep up with the Panther's impressive three-point shooting. The Owls had 22 second-chance points off of 17 offensive rebounds. The offensive rebounds equalized a season-high vs. a DI opponent, previously set on 12/7 vs. UNF.

• The Ingram Show continues. Off the back of a double-double out last Saturday, the star forward finishes with 14 points and 9 rebounds. After the game, the redshirt junior talked about facing rival FIU one last time in a couple days in front of Owl Nation, "I just want to thank everybody for staying behind me and being loyal. I want to go out with a bang."

• Blackshear's Bounce Back will not be noticeable on the statsheet, especially after missing his first three shots. Nevertheless, a clutch three pointer immediately followed up by a smooth layup, both coming via second-chance attempts in the second half, helped put the Owls ahead for good. Add a pair of free throws late, and the talented guard from Orlando finally has some much-needed confidence going his way.

• The Unsung Heroes were lead Everett Winchester, who notches his best performance of the season after battling a knee injury. He scored 10 points and collected 9 rebounds. Many of those points came from hard earned lay-ups as the FIU defense hacked their way at his drive attempts, often without a foul being called. Michael Forrest, BJ Greenlee, and Nick Boyd all had impressive outings as well, scoring 11, 11, and 8 points, respectively. Boyd, a true freshman, proved the Owls were up to the task with a pair of gutsy three-pointers midway through the second half.

• Dusty May was noticeably proud of how his team responded upon returning to Florida amidst a three-game skid. "James Madison was disappointing because we didn't fight," May said, reflecting on the his team's trip to Virginia. "Old Dominion, to be honest we were disappointed we didn't win. But we felt like we played really good basketball at times… we could sense things were going in the right direction."

• Chiropractor Needed was the message from Dusty May after being sandwiched between the advertising boards and Winchester. FIU guard Antonio Daye tackled Winchester into May in a foul attempt following an FAU inbound with five seconds left. "I told Daye that I'm going to send him my chiropractor bill," May joked. "But I'm more confused about how that only look .2 seconds off the clock." In the end, no harm was done to May's back nor the Owls' lead.

NEXT: FAU returns to The Burrow for their first home game against a Division I opponent of the 2020-2021 season. The Owls will host FIU on Saturday, January 16, with the opening tip coming at 4 p.m.

Back to the top

Fun game to watch, glad I didn't blow it for the team. Always good to beat FIU
Back to the top

Always good to beat fiu in whatever  sport. This feels like FAUs  biggest win so far this year.
Back to the top

owlmart said

Fun game to watch, glad I didn't blow it for the team. Always good to beat FIU
Posted On: Jan 15th 2021, 12:10 AM #400002

Definitely the most entertaining game of the season!

Back to the top
Control functions: