Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. Charlotte - January 22 & 23, 2021

Add topic

After an abysmal opening 30 minutes, FAU's offense finally turned the right screws in the later stages of the second half to complete the comeback over Charlotte.

Here are tonight's Quick Hits from the Owls' exhilarating 66-53 win.

Quick Hits

• Dusty May is in quarantine, unable to coach this weekend's series due to a positive COVID-19 test result within his household. The news coming to players and staff mere hours before tonight's tipoff. Assistant coach Akeem Miskdeen has been tapped as Acting Head Coach during May's absence.

• Akeem Miskdeen said he hasn't lead a team since "either 2008 or 2009 with an AAU team in Chicago." When asked if he's going to celebrate his first win as a Division I head coach, albeit in a temporary position, he laughed as he said, "You know what I'm about to do? I'm about to go check on the film so we can win tomorrow. And if we win tomorrow, then I'll celebrate with my daughter and my wife!"

• Michael Forrest had his second 20+ point performance in a row, draining a team-high 21 points tonight. Despite a slow start to the season, the Blanche Ely High School product's confidence has been propelled by the team's unwavering support in the him. "Everybody in our locker room believes in Mike. If he goes 0-7, we want him to shoot an eighth shot," Miskdeen explained. "He is one of the hardest working players in FAU history."

• FAU's 16-0 Run catapulted the Owls into the lead late in the second half. FAU never trailed again from that point on. Forrest drained three-straight three-pointers to get the bench and the fans in attendance at The Burrow fired up. Although Charlotte forced the game to overtime, FAU's 16-3 OT scoring margin gave the Owls their first OT win since January 16, 2020 against Middle Tennessee.

• Commanding the Bench is a sign ofship veteran leader. Miskdeen said there are no shortages of those type of players at FAU. "Him (Karlis Silins), Jailyn Ingram BJ (Greenlee) and Mike (Forrest) had command of the bench in the second half; it was their bench. They were running the stuff and giving the guys life and energy."

• The C-USA Standings must look good to Owl Nation! Currently standing alone in third place in C-USA East, the Owls will draw level to Old Dominion at second place with another FAU win tomorrow. ODU will be stagnant this week as their series with North Texas has been postponed. And while unlikely, a Western Kentucky loss to rival MTSU paired with an FAU win tomorrow, and the Owls will be in a three-ay tie with ODU and WKU atop the division.

NEXT: FAU will host Charlotte for game 2, tomorrow at 4 PM.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Wow what a game. Maybe this team is good! Solid broadcast too. We are spoiled with Frank Forte.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Second Straight Sweep in Play for FAU Basketball

What: Florida Atlantic (8-6, 3-2) vs. Charlotte (6-7, 2-3)

When: Saturday, January 23, @ 4 PM

Where: Abessinio Court at FAU Arena

Series: Charlotte now has a one win advantage over FAU in the all time series following the Owls' overtime victory Friday night.

Charlotte Team Site: Here

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Subscription Required

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

Records and stream links have been updated for Game Two of the Charlotte series. Tipoff is set for 4 p.m.

Head Coach Dusty May will not be on the sidelines for the Owls for the second straight game. A positive coronavirus test result within the May household will force May to be away from the team for at least a week. Assistant Coach Akeem Miskdeen has been named Acting Head Coach until May returns.

Back to the top

It's go-time at The Burrow!

Back to the top

Owls starting this contest much better than the last.

Back to the top

Uh oh, JI picks up a knock when attempting a layup on the fastbreak. He limps off the court and is getting looked at by the trainers.

Back to the top

Ingram heads to the lockerroom early after being looked at along the sideline. That could be bad news for an FAU program that's playing their best ball of the season.

Back to the top

Halftime. Charlotte leads the Owls 39-29.

Back to the top

Looks like Ingram's day is done. Hope he's alright.

Back to the top

No Ingram? No problem! FAU storms out of the half to draw level with Charlotte!

Back to the top
Control functions: