Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Coach Leavitt leaving for SMU

Back to the top

Head scratcher...
Back to the top

I feel for any FAU players who signed an LOI last month and enrolled early because they expected to play for Leavitt and/or Guidry. Same with UCF. The kids that enrolled early there may wind up with an entirely new coaching staff. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

This is what the portal was designed for. I love jim.  Wish him the best
Back to the top

I agree Local but the problem is there’s not enough space for these kids. So let’s say Johnny Football — wait, someone went by that name. 

Let’s say Johnny Defensive Back signs with FAU and enrolls early because he loves Guidry and wants to play for Leavitt. Then Guidry leaves. Now Leavitt leaves. They both say without saying that we’d love to have you at Marshall/SMU. 

So Johnny Defensive Back looks into SMU. They don’t have scholarship space but could take him as a walk-on. SMU has the scholarship space but they’re trying to use the last scholarships on transfers. 

So now Johnny DB has to decide if he wants to play for Taggart and new defensive coaches, lose his scholarship and potentially chance to play in Year 1 at Marshall because of transfer rules, or stay at FAU while hoping SMU somehow finds the room to give him a scholarship. 

(Chris Kiffin did this too, FWIW, and that led to the disastrous Tony Pec hire. It’s just bad for college football when it happens this late.)

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

The early signing period is not worth the trouble is causes.

I have explained that you can’t just replace kids.

SMU will probably make Leavitt one of the highest paid assistants in the American.

This is where having 7k a game and a TV contract that pays 500k hurts.
Back to the top

If Randy shannon doesnt get retained go get Randy as the DC.
Back to the top

Smh.  Well, Looks like Marshall was smart with their timing of poaching Guidry.  Very Disappointing to lose a great coach like Leavitt, especially to another G5 program.  
Back to the top

I only stated  a fact. But I hate what late moves like this does to a signee. Early signing secures your scholly, but moves like this are the big negative.
Back to the top

Roscoeowl said

Smh.  Well, Looks like Marshall was smart with their timing of poaching Guidry.  Very Disappointing to lose a great coach like Leavitt, especially to another G5 program.  
Posted On: Jan 27th 2021, 9:12 AM #400207

SMU has deep pockets. I am sure there is a pay upgrade.

This will be 6th DC in as many years.

Good news we have a ton of seniors returning.

Experience will help any new DC.

Back to the top
Control functions: