Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU vs. UCF - February 19-21 & March 16, 2021

Add topic

Now it's Nicholas Toney's turn to go yard! He goes oppo for a three-run homer, his first of the season.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I don't mind getting beat . BUT, wild pitches,  hit batsman,  errors,etc drive me crazy. We are not high schoolers.  Can't win playing like this. Nice effort by our starting pitcher. Couple innings to go. We have time.
Back to the top

FINAL. Owls fall for the first time this season.

Back to the top

The Owls closed off their series win against the UCF Knights with a bit of a bummer, dropping the final game 15-6. With errors galore and pitching issues, the Owls weren't able to finish off the sweep.

The Rundown
  • Catcher Nicholas Toney answered all questions about why he was in the lineup over freshman phenom Caleb Pendleton today, hitting a three-run shot in the bottom of the fourth inning to put the Owls up 3-1.
  • The Owls recorded a total of four errors throughout the game and allowed three runs off of wild pitches, an area that needs to see some work.
  • Freshman phenom Nolan Schanuel continued his success, going 3 for 4 with two RBIs in today's game.
  • Matt Sparling pitched well in his first start of the season. He punched out six batters while allowing just three runs on three hits in his five innings of work.
"In that sixth inning, we had a chance to get out of it twice with two routine ground balls, and we couldn't do it. It's disheartening that you can't pick up the ball and throw it to first base." -Coach John McCormack

The Owls will be back in action on Tuesday, Feb. 21 against the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles. First pitch will be at 6:00 p.m. and it will be broadcast on YouTube.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: Here
Back to the top

Is FAU the new Catcher U?

Back to the top

Good write up, Colby. I’m excited about our freshmen phenoms. 

I’m interested to see if Pendleton winds up getting DH at-bats. I’d be surprised to see him catch Sunday afternoons if he’s catching Saturday night. Teams usually like avoiding having a catcher catch a day game after a night game. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

I too want to start by giving props to Colby guy.  Nice job on the coverage. Early in the game I posted about the misques.  And too many will cost you a game vs a good team. Today was the perfect example of that. We had good enough starting pitching. Se scored enough. But my god the mistakes were countless. Let's all agree that after three games we can score. And let's all agree that  some how we need to find the arms to get some outs (even though with our D we need to get four or five outs per inning). We took two of three . Now let's go beat fgcu.  They are always tough.
Back to the top

Great job Colby!
Back to the top

FAU Baseball Returns to Action with a Trip to UCF

What: Florida Atlantic vs. Central Florida

When: Tuesday, March 16, @ 6 PM

Where: John Euliano Park

Video: ESPN+ *Subscription Required

Live Stats: Here

UCF Team Site: Here

Series: UCF owns a 45-37 all-time series lead, although FAU took two out of the previous three games this season.

Projected Starting Pitchers:

FAU - RHP Dante Visconti (0-0, 4.76)
UCF - RHP Kenny Serwa (0-0, 0.00)

Notes

Owls

FAU heads to Orlando following their first weekend series loss of the season. Indiana State took the first pair of games before the Owls scraped any hopes of a sweep by winning Game Three on.

Owls' shortstop Wilfredo Alvarez has had multi-hits in five straight games. This stretch has allowed him to take the top batting average within the ballclub with .379. His 22 hits and 19 runs scores paces Conference USA, with the later placing him 12th nationally.

Dante Visconti will represent the Owls on the mound for his first start of the campaign. He's pitched 5.1 innings so far, including three hits, three earned runs, three walks, and eight put outs.

Knights

UCF comes off a three games to one series victory over North Florida. The Knights outscored the Ospreys 26 to 18 throughout the series, thanks mostly in part to an impressive 10-0 win in Game One in Jacksonville. This snapped a four-game UCF losing streak.

Kenny Serwa will lead the Knights on the bump for his second start of the season. His only previous game action was that very 10-0 Game One win over UNF. He pitched three innings, giving up just one hit while striking out two.

Sophomore outfielder Gephry Pena is the team's batting leader with a .382 batting average.

Back to the top

Lineups are in as we hit 20 minutes before first pitch in the City Beautiful. Colby will be reporting live from UCF with some great visual content. Hopefully he can capture more smiles, of the celebratory nature, later tonight!

Back to the top
Control functions: