Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: FAU @ Southern Miss - February 26 & 27, 2021

Add topic

FAU Hoops Travels to USM for Final Road Series

What: Florida Atlantic (8-9, 3-5) vs. Southern Mississippi (8-14, 4-11)

When: Friday, February 26, @ 8:00 PM
           Saturday, February 27, @ 5:00 PM

Where: Reed Green Coliseum

Series: The Golden Eagles have won three straight over the Owls for a 5-2 series lead.

USM Team Site: Here

TV: None

Stream: ESPN+ *Subscription Required

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

USM at a Glance:

Offense - 64.9 PPG, 44% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 66.6 PPGA, 42% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 35.5 RPG Golden Eagles, 34.1 RPG Opponents

Notables

The Golden Eagles snapped their eight-game losing streak thanks to a run in with the pitiful FIU Panthers. The 85-72 scoreline was USM's first fine since January 16.

In the victory over FIU, sophomore forward Tyler Stevenson scored a game-high 26 points and hauled in nine rebounds. Although it was junior guard Tae Hardy's 20 points, 19 of which coming in the second half, that has garnered attention. That second half performance was rewarded with a C-USA Player of the Week honor.

The final game of the two-game series against FIU was cancelled due to COVID-19 issues within the USM program. At the time of this posting, this weekend's matchup in Hattiesburg will go on as scheduled.  

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 80.7 PPG, 47% FG, 38% 3PT

Defense - 67.3 PPGA, 42% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.8 RPG Owls, 31.8 RPG Opponents

Notables

FAU's losing streak stands at three games after getting swept by UTSA. That series was the Owls' first in three weeks and saw talisman Jailyn Ingram sustain an injury that sidelined him for Game Two.

The Owls were expected to travel to play UTEP last weekend. That series was first pushed back a couple of days due to the winter storm that slammed the Lone Star State but was later cancelled as COVID-19 issues took hold within the Miner program.

FAU has seen three of their last four basketball series cancelled due to the coronavirus and currently sit at the bottom of C-USA in total conference games played with eight.

Latest Line: FAU -1

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

The stream link and betting line has been updated as we approach tipoff in Hattiesburg.

Back to the top

Ingram isn't in the starting five, but expect him to make his way to the court soon enough.

Back to the top

JI sees the court and FAU basketball does great things. That's not a coincidence.

Back to the top

Halftime in Hattiesburg. Owls are playing LIGHTS OUT tonight, especially from the arc.

Back to the top

UGLYYYY start to the second half for both sides, but Silins is having a solid period at least.

Back to the top

Given the line, and being on the road where we have struggled, this is a GOOD WIN  :cool:
Back to the top

OWLS WIN! BOOM! We find a way to grind it out late to snap a three game skid on the season AND to USM.

Back to the top

It wasn't easy at times, especially late, but the Owls squeak it out in Hattiesburg despite a late Southern Miss charge. Here's tonight's Quick Hits from FAU's 69-60 win over the Golden Eagles.

Quick Hits

• Owls shot lights out from three in the first half, going 10-17 along the arc. But those hot hands didn't carry over in the second half until it was needed the most: when USM pulled within a possession with three minutes left.

• Owls continue to struggle from the charity stripe. FAU went 8-20 on the night, including four front ends of one-and-ones. A drought on the stripe is what allowed USM to make it a contest after the Owls led by as much as 17 at one point.

• Mike Forrest paced the team in points with 14 thanks to a pair of free throws late in the contest to ice the game. He also hauled in a team-high five boards, as did Jailyn Ingram.

• Speaking of Jailyn Ingram, the star forward drained 12 in his first bit of game action since sustaining an injury in Game One of the UTSA series two weeks ago. All of his points came from three-points range.

• Head Coach Dusty May said the team will have to play better tomorrow to get the all-elusive road series sweep.

• May also mentioned that BJ Greenlee played better tonight that he has recently, as he "ran the show" with a game-high five assists.

NEXT: FAU will go for the sweep in Game Two, tomorrow at 5PM.

Back to the top

Let's get this started! FAU with a great chance to get a series sweep on the road, which has been extremely elusive throughout C-USA.

Back to the top
Control functions: