Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU Football near bottom in attendance

walty12 said

What makes them walk away from the stadium instead of going in to watch the games?
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 1:10 PM #401805

They don't go to UCF.

Back to the top

walty12 said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

owlsdad said

Agree Shane - I was always amazed as I was walking towards the stadium how many students were walking away from it.  I hope Willie has success getting the students into the stadium.  Consistently get 6-7k students in who you then engage in the game somehow and FAU will be on their way. 
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 11:26 AM #401803

I have been preaching this for awhile.

FAU does not need to go to war with the Greeks as that only ends badly like it has at FIU, but the school need to communicate with leaders, '' we let you guys have fun we want to have some support.'' It is not worth it for the school to pay for extra police, trash pick up etc if 10 percent of students tailgating attend games.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 12:11 PM #401804

Here's what I dont know because I'm old and out of touch with 19 year olds…

What makes them walk away from the stadium instead of going in to watch the games?

Exhaustion. Gotta rest up for South Beach later
Back to the top

Because who wants to watch FAU play WKU at 1 pm
Back to the top

THE WILLIE WAGON said

Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 1:57 PM #401809

In the heat…or a lightning delay…etc. Not even Lane, Harrison, or Motor were enough to continuously draw big crowds against C-USA teams. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

THE WILLIE WAGON said

The student section used to sellout and be at or near capacity for those type of games in the Partridge years.

What happened since then? Disconnected coach? Softer students? Seriously what changed.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

Seriously what changed.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 2:21 PM #401811

Partridge, that's what changed. Very involved in Greek solicitation, and grass roots stuff.

Back to the top

Wagon, you’re still a student, right? Have you seen a major correlation between later kickoff times and less students? I didn’t see or hear a ton of that in 2016 or 2017. Obviously 2020 was very unique, too. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

walty12 said

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

owlsdad said

Agree Shane - I was always amazed as I was walking towards the stadium how many students were walking away from it.  I hope Willie has success getting the students into the stadium.  Consistently get 6-7k students in who you then engage in the game somehow and FAU will be on their way. 
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 11:26 AM #401803

I have been preaching this for awhile.

FAU does not need to go to war with the Greeks as that only ends badly like it has at FIU, but the school need to communicate with leaders, '' we let you guys have fun we want to have some support.'' It is not worth it for the school to pay for extra police, trash pick up etc if 10 percent of students tailgating attend games.
Posted On: Apr 22nd 2021, 12:11 PM #401804

Here's what I dont know because I'm old and out of touch with 19 year olds…

It is simply culture and if the student leaders are not creating a messaging of going to the games most students just follow.

If your Fraternity/Sorority president and pledge chairs are walking away others will.

These thing can flucutaite year to year.

The student section was sold out for Charlie's opener.

I will say this though, I do see how it hard for your average 19 year old student to stay locked in for 3 1/2 hours.

If they are not die hard football fans most college students want to do something else with their Saturdays.

Wifi is terrible in most stadiums.

TV timeouts and over 20 min halftimes exhaust even the hardcore fans. Now imagine you are a casual student fan and you want to get to a party later.

It's one of the reasons soccer has become popular with young people.  Games are 90 min with zero TV breaks, and halftime is 15 min.

Every away game I have been to a large schools students mostly roll into late and leave early. Only the big time games having them stick around.

Back to the top

THE WILLIE WAGON said

Correct if I am wrong, but we did not play a single noon regular season game under Lane.

The two CUSA titles games were 12 Pm in 2017 and 1 PM in 2019.
Back to the top

Charlie Partridge made a point of successfully connecting with the student population.
Lane Kiffin had no interest in that sort of thing, period!
Think about the radio show, arrived late, talked and ran off!
Not the best way to connect with any fans.
I believe Willie Taggart will try his best to reconnect with the student body, he gets it.
Back to the top
Control functions: