Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tight End Zaire Mitchell to Transfer to FAU

Add topic

The Owls have filled a significant positional need through the transfer portal in Notre Dame College tight end Zaire Mitchell.

At 6-5 250 lbs, Mitchell has put up big-time numbers on the division two level, catching 99 passes, 1190 yards, and ten touchdowns over his last 32 games.

After his junior season, Mitchell's frame and production had many draft analysts predicting he would be a big-time sleeper in the upcoming 2021 NFL Draft:

Not many are talking about Zaire Mitchell, but they better start watching the film quickly. Mitchell reminds me a lot of Donald Parham, but get this he can block. Parham and Mitchell had similar sizes, but Mitchell is not afraid to block downfield. I think NFL teams are going to discover other Falcons when they go in to watch Mitchell. Notre Dame College has some studs in the 2021 NFL Draft. – Damond Talbot, Owner, NFL Draft Diamonds

Unfortunately, due to the pandemic, Notre Dame College could not start the football season in the fall and only played a short spring schedule of five games, which concluded on April 18th.

This did not allow Mitchell an entire senior season and a proper time to train to continue to raise his stock for this upcoming NFL draft.

"I want to get more film for the scouts; show more run blocking,'' Mitchell told FAUOwlsnest.

Mitchell, who only recently landed in the portal, was quickly contacted by multiple schools, including Maryland, Temple, LIU, Southern Missouri, and others.

According to Mitchell, associate head coach/special teams coordinator/ outside linebackers Raymond Woodie initially found and contacted Mitchell. Coach Woodie, and new tight ends coach Jon Bills worked together to land the talented transfer.

"FAU recently had a Mackey awarding winner in Harrison Bryant, and I just want to be part of that,'' Mitchell stated.

Mitchell will have to help elevate an Owls tight ends group that only had four catches, 61 yards, and one touchdown in 2020

The Owls also added 2021 high school recruits Jacob Pasley and William Ford, but it is a tough ask for immediate production from young newcomers at the tight end position.

Even Mackey award winner and all-time FAU great Harrison Bryant only had six catches his freshman year.

Mitchell becomes 6th transfer FAU has added to the 2021 class, joining running Back Johnny Ford, quarterback Michael Johnson Jr., linebacker Keyshawn Greene, and offensive linemen Andrew Boselli and Karmar Bell.

Continue to stay locked into FAUOwlsnest.com for all your Owls recruiting and football updates.
Back to the top

This is an excellent pick up.
6’5” and 250 pound TE who appears to be a late college bloomer will provide a number of offensive options.
Welcome Zaire to the Owls.
Back to the top

For those who have not watched any highlights, here they are.

At the very least he will be a red zone threat.
Back to the top

With John Mitchell coming back and Zaire Mitchell coming in, we should have some great Mitchell pass options this fall!
Back to the top

My concern is and has been, will we have someone that can get them the ball. I love that this kid will get the opportunity to show if he can hang with some stiffer  competition. Totally up to him.
Back to the top
Control functions: