Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Is the national media neglecting N'Kosi Perry and FAU?

I'm off work today and I'm catching up on some stories from national outlets. Earlier today (5/5), The Athletic listed the top-50 most impactful transfers in college football. SPOILER: N'Kosi Perry wasn't on there. Now, some of these lists often are geared very much toward the Power 5, and I counted four players who have transferred to a non-P5 school or Notre Dame (an independent who we consider P5) who made the list:

Former Oklahoma TE Grant Calcaterra, who is going to SMU.

Former Houston Baptist (FCS) QB Bailey Zappe who transferred to WKU.

Former Washington WR Puka Nacua, who transferred to BYU.

Ex-Arkansas State LB Justin Rice, who followed Blake Anderson to Utah State.

I'm not picking on The Athletic here, but I do find it interesting that they listed eight quarterbacks out of 50 players yet N'Kosi Perry (a former starter at UM, which remains a media darling) isn't one of them. ESPN picked up the Hines Ward story (as they should have) but never posted online about Perry, which also doesn't make sense considering the UM angle. In fact, I didn't really even see anything from the AP on Perry transferring here. Yahoo! picked up Khobi's story from the Sentinel as a wire story.

Is this something or nothing?:Straight-Face:

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Interesting decision to leave him off, but you go with what has numbers.....
Back to the top

Yea I was surprised at ESPN not picking it up, but it was around the same time as the draft and Aaron Rodgers. As far as the Athletic, the article may have been in the works for some time. That’s my only guess
Back to the top

I just think that in the media’s defense Perry isn’t that well known outside of South Florida. He didn’t start many games and obviously barely played in 2020. 

Also, he’s not a high profile transfer. He never put up particularly good numbers and like a lot of QB’s isn’t exactly Tom Brady after the first read. He’s a one read good accuracy QB with maybe time for a 2nd read. He can’t run which is a drawback. He’s got a better arm than anyone on the team but can’t really run.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I just think that in the media’s defense Perry isn’t that well known outside of South Florida. He didn’t start many games and obviously barely played in 2020. 

Also, he’s not a high profile transfer. He never put up particularly good numbers and like a lot of QB’s isn’t exactly Tom Brady after the first read. He’s a one read good accuracy QB with maybe time for a 2nd read. He can’t run which is a drawback. He’s got a better arm than anyone on the team but can’t really run.
Posted On: May 6th 2021, 8:48 PM #402014

Dont know much about him.  Cant run…injuries?  Or lack of athletic ability?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Here's a good tape from 2018:

Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Posted On: May 6th 2021, 8:48 PM #402014

I don’t fully disagree JGF, but the media has such a love for Miami/FSU that you’d think it’d have gotten more traction. 🤷🏻‍♂️ 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

24 TD to 10 Int. at UM who would not take that???

Completion % improved each year as well (51, 53, 55) and yds. per attempt as well (5.7, 6.6, 7.4).

All solid signs of an improving and learning QB.
Back to the top

Honestly I’ll plead the 5th on Perry. Sometimes he looked pedestrian but sometimes he looked scary good. The lack of tight ends is going to hurt just like it hurt us in 2020. 

Perry seems like he could run I’ll say that. He chooses to stay in the pocket but he could maybe be taught how to be more mobile by Taggart and Johnson. 

It’s a great pickup. I feel kind of the same way about Robison coming into 2019. It’s going to be the pass catchers that’s the story not Perry. He’s good enough and I’m sure will be the QB at UF. But like I said, I don’t know everything. But when I do know something I’ll say it. With Perry I’m not sure how good he is. He really didn’t play that much at a school to the south 
Back to the top

Miami is the team I grew up rooting for so I’ve seen almost all of their games in the last 20 years. Perry was hampered by the same thing that hampered miami QBs since dorsey they were running the wrong offense their personnel didn’t fit pro style. They have had years of highly touted qbs go to coral gables only to have their careers wasted. His QB coaches before this year were Jon Richt and Dan enos which didnt help his development at all. Perry throws a beautiful ball people at UM have said out of all the QBs he threw the best passes early on he struggled reading defenses. He is mobile he has wheels he just isnt going to tuck and run quickly like a QB like D’eriq King. The big thing is his arm is strong so defenses cant just pack it in on the run like they did us last year. He should be fine at this level. 
Back to the top
Control functions: