Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: Southern Miss vs. FAU - May 14th - 16th, 2021

Add topic

Owls Close Home Slate with Four Game Set vs. USM

What: No. 19 Southern Mississippi (33-15, 20-7) vs. Florida Atlantic (27-21, 16-12)

When: Fri., May 14th at 5:00 PM
           Sat., May 15th at 2:00 PM (DH)
           Sun., Mar. 16th at 12:00 PM

Where: FAU Baseball Stadium

Video: CUSA.tv *Subscription Required

Live Stats: Here

USM Team Site: Here

Series: The Golden Eagles own a 12-9 advantage over the Owls, including the most previous matchup in the 2019 C-USA Tournament Final.

Projected Starting Pitchers:

FAU - LHP Hunter Cooley (7-3, 3.82)
USM - RHP Hunter Stanley (5-2, 2.42)

FAU - LHP Matt Sparling (2-4, 3.76)
USM - RHP Walker Powell (8-2, 2.69)

FAU - RHP Brock Helverson (0-0, 7.36)
USM - RHP Ben Ethridge (6-1, 2.25)

FAU - RHP Javi Rivera (6-0, 4.78)
USM - LHP Drew Boyd (4-2, 3.63)

Notes

Owls

FAU will close their 2021 home schedule with a four game series against cross-divisional rival Southern Mississippi, with the Owls entering the set amidst a two-game win streak.

Last time out, FAU took three of four from Western Kentucky in Bowling Green in a series that say back-to-back days of double-headers. The series win punched FAU's ticket to the C-USA Tournmanet, jumping the Hilltoppers in the conference standings in the process.

Second baseman Steven Lodan landed C-USA Hitter of the Week honors with his .529 average over the weekend. The redshirt freshman has lifted his season batting average from .167 a month ago to to .391 going into this series. The Owls have gone 11-4 since Lodan solidified his place at second base for arguably the Owls' best run of the campaign.

The Owls continue to destroy baseballs this season. FAU's 62 homeruns ranks second in the conference and 16th nationally. BJ Murray paces the team with a dozen dingers, while Nolan Schanuel and Bobby Morgensen round out the Owls hitting double-digit homers with ten a piece.

Hunter Cooley and Javi Riverra continue solidify FAU's position in series openers and closers, respectively. They combine for 13 wins a pair complete games apiece.

Matt Sparling gets the nod to kickoff the Senior Day doubleheader on Saturday. The redshirt junior has dropped four straight decisions despite owning the top ERA from the bunch of FAU's starters. Meanwhile Brock Helverson gets his second start of the season following a no decision in 2.1 innings pitched last weekend at WKU.

Golden Eagles

Southern Miss looks for another C-USA Championship trophy as they close their conference campaign in Boca Raton riding a four-game win-streak.

USM made easy work of a struggling Middle Tennessee ballclub, outscoring the Blue Raiders a combined 26-6 en route to a Golden Eagles sweep.

This weekend's visitors will be looking for another resounding series win to keep their place atop the C-USA West division, as Louisiana Tech trail USM on percentage points.

USM's dynamic pitching duo of Hunter Stanley and Walker Powell shared C-USA Pitcher of the Week awards, as Stanley struck out 16 Blue Raiders in the opener, and Powell threw a Saturday no-hitter. Stanley owns a conference-high 96 strike outs.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

As mentioned in the preview, this will be the final home series for FAU's seniors. That includes a pair of infielders, a pair of outfielders, and a slew of pitchers that will be saying goodbye to the friendly confines between the berms.

SS Wilfredo Alvarez
INF/DH Jared DeSantolo
RF Bobby Morgensen
CF Jackson Wenstrom
P Mike Entenza
P Adrien Reese
P Matt Sparling
P TJ Stuart
P Dylan O'Connell
P Brycen Allen
P Jackson Vescelus

The seniors will be celebrated tomorrow before the double header.

Back to the top

One last home stand for our senior class. Here's Game One's starting lineup.

Back to the top

Aaaand we're delayed at least 45 minutes.

Back to the top

5:45 has come and gone and we're stilling waiting for an update.

Back to the top

Alright, the tarp is off! We'll have first pitch in about 15 minutes.

Back to the top

GAME ON!

Back to the top

Slow day offensively so far, but that was expected with two of C-USA's best aces on the mound tonight.

Back to the top

How about that! Hartigan goes yard on the conference top pitcher to bring FAU ahead.

Back to the top

The Golden Eagles draw level with an RBI double but Steven Loden gives FAU the go-ahead!

Back to the top
Control functions: