Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

SERIES THREAD: Southern Miss vs. FAU - May 14th - 16th, 2021

Add topic

Just need to get the next two and we'll be fine.

#GoOwls  :cool:
Back to the top

And we're back in action after our short break. Brock Heliverson gets his second start in an FAU uniform, with his first pitch blowing by the USM attempted swing for a strike.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

TO THE MOOOON! Loden goes yard for two runs, right after Murray's own two-run shot!

Back to the top

FAU's bats have calmed down since the inning as USM cuts the Owls' lead down to a single run.

Back to the top

USM takes the lead with a five-run inning, but Nolan Schanuel provides some clutch hitting to cut FAU's deficit in half.

Back to the top

We go one step forward and six steps back.

Back to the top

Those big innings kill you
Back to the top

Not our game… or our day really. USM sweeps the Owls in today’s DH.

Back to the top

Man, didn't see all of these runs coming today from them…
Back to the top

Florida Atlantic was upended in Saturday's doubleheader by a combined score of 20-9. Southern Mississippi entered the series as the #19 team in the nation and they showed why in today's sweep following Friday's FAU victory.

The Rundown

• The matinee saw the Owls bats struggle as the home side mustered just five hits, the lowest since since a pair of hits against Florida International on the first of May.
  • The bats came alive in the double header's second contest, but two massive innings from USM, a five-run fourth and a six-run sixth, spelled doom for the Owls.
  • USM's ability to put their leadoff man on base was killer. They went a combined 7-14, blowing out FAU's combined 4-14.
  • Both sides threw seven walks in the today's second game, although the visitors made them count the most by going 4-8 with runners in scoring position compared to FAU's 2-8. The Golden Eagles also reached base on errors twice, to help bolster their base runners.
  • Both Mitchell Hartigan and Bobby Morgensen lead the clubhouse with a combined three hits over the two games. BJ Murray and Wilfredo Alvarez were the only Owls to score more than a run in the double header, both pairs coming in the evening's contest.

Head Coach John McCormack did not mince his words about his teams defense and pitching in today's second game. "Game two was a disaster, we give up a three-spot, a five-spot and a six-spot. This feels like March, when we couldn't get ourselves out of innings." He would later go on to praise the offense despite leaving eight runners on base.

NEXT: FAU will close the series against Southern Miss Sunday at high noon. This will be the last home game of the season before the Owls play a one-off in Coral Gables against Miami.

Back to the top
Control functions: