Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

CONFERENCE REALIGNMENT: FAU to the AAC?

David Slavic said

It's been YEARS since I had time to really follow this site, but don't you guys think the Big 12 would likely try to merge with the AAC or ACC, since they'd be down to 8 teams, and wouldn't be able to compete from a revenue standpoint with the SEC? OK State and Iowa State just aren't going to bring in enough revenue to support the rest of the conference. If OU and UT leave, the conference will likely collapse, right?
Posted On: Jul 23rd 2021, 1:46 PM #402628

And Iowa State may LEAVE for the Big 10!

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

JakeElman said

David Slavic said

It's been YEARS since I had time to really follow this site, but don't you guys think the Big 12 would likely try to merge with the AAC or ACC, since they'd be down to 8 teams, and wouldn't be able to compete from a revenue standpoint with the SEC? OK State and Iowa State just aren't going to bring in enough revenue to support the rest of the conference. If OU and UT leave, the conference will likely collapse, right?
Posted On: Jul 23rd 2021, 1:46 PM #402628

And Iowa State may LEAVE for the Big 10!
Posted On: Jul 23rd 2021, 2:13 PM #402629

They may want to but Iowa does not want them in!
Back to the top

Taking the conversation in a slightly different direction here, but the whole thing is getting ridiculous from a naming standpoint.

The BIG 12 hasn't had 12 teams for a while, so that's that.

The BIG 10 now has 14 teams, but they didn't they change their name to the BIG 14 either.

Now, the Southeastern Conference is going to have five teams nearly in the center of the country.

Arkansas and Missouri joining the SEC was a stretch but "passable" in representation but Texas A&M got a TOTAL pass.

Texas and OU, forget about it - center of the country.

Rant over.

:Laughing:
Back to the top

How real is this C-USA & SBC merger thing?
Back to the top

It's not…officially.

I posted this tweet earlier in jest, but am fully on board with it as a solution to the obvious issue to remain competitive for both leagues as C-USA appears to be dying a painful death on the gridiron aside from a couple programs and the SBC is top heavy as well:

However, here's a couple articles from over a year ago on the topic:

This is likely last chance to get long overdue merger of Sun Belt and Conference USA | UL Ragin' Cajuns | theadvocate.com

Here is what a merger means between the Sun Belt Conference and Conference USA - The Signal

As well as this one from FOUR years ago:

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/4/11/15246900/conference-usa-sun-belt-conference-merger-football
Back to the top

Let's GO!

Back to the top

I'd be against merging SBC and CUSA. I think in reality we'll see something like the ACC and SEC merging, since there are so many natural in-state rivalries, and the Big 10 and PAC 12 merging for the same reason, plus having the first true coast-to-coast conference. This leaves the AAC out, teams from the other G5 conferences out, and no real hope to join a super conference. I think FAU should be making the pitch to join the ACC if any other member school leaves. Otherwise in 10 years the NCAA will be dissolved, and there will be some kind of super league with the two national super conferences, and then all the other schools will need to decide if they want to continue supporting football programs. Just my opinion lol. 
Back to the top

David Slavic said

I'd be against merging SBC and CUSA. I think in reality we'll see something like the ACC and SEC merging, since there are so many natural in-state rivalries, and the Big 10 and PAC 12 merging for the same reason, plus having the first true coast-to-coast conference. This leaves the AAC out, teams from the other G5 conferences out, and no real hope to join a super conference. I think FAU should be making the pitch to join the ACC if any other member school leaves. Otherwise in 10 years the NCAA will be dissolved, and there will be some kind of super league with the two national super conferences, and then all the other schools will need to decide if they want to continue supporting football programs. Just my opinion lol. 
Posted On: Jul 28th 2021, 8:09 AM #402651

Sad part is, you might be spot on. We’ve seen the gap continue to widen for the P5 haves and the G5 have nots. Only makes sense that said gap will be exacerbated further. I still think there will be a place for G5 programs however. Maybe just two G5 conferences based on geographic location which might actually work out better for us if we’re in a conference with the likes of ECU, USF, Coastal, etc. 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

David Slavic said

Posted On: Jul 28th 2021, 8:09 AM #402651
Sad part is, you might be spot on. We’ve seen the gap continue to widen for the P5 haves and the G5 have nots. only makes sense that said gap will be exacerbated further. I still think there will be a place for G5 programs however. Maybe just two G5 conferences based on geographic location which might actually work out better for us if we’re in a conference with the likes of ECU, USF, Coastal, etc. 
Posted On: Jul 28th 2021, 8:30 AM #402652
I think a lot of this is accurate, unfortunately.

There is only one way to combat this IMO.  The G5's that have the most upside and geographical relevance need to come together and put a league/product together.

We have to create demand for our games/matchups.  We have to make our product desirable to watch and be a part of.  

Good news, there are enough large schools 30k+ enrollment in growing areas of the southeast US I think this can be accomplished.  I just dont know who leads that charge and if the schools will adhere.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Really wish we could have gotten a new arena in place and a few other facilities upgraded by now.  We have football facilities that can pretty much match or beat any other top G5 program in the country, unfortunately everything else will probably get us relegated to the lesser of any new G5 conferences if it happens.

We need schools people have actually heard of to ever have a chance to get people in the stands.   I think a lot of the AAC programs would help us improve with that, unfortunately if AAC needs to add in the near future they'll be looking for what can we provide for them now not our potential for the future.  Right now other than football we are pretty far off par in all of our other athletic facilities compared to all of the AAC programs.  

Honestly anything different would probably be better than what the current Cusa has become.  Lol.  This conference has become pathetic.  
Back to the top
Control functions: