Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FAU better have people working on moving conferences...

We need to figure out the basketball arena.

It's a college stained couch in a family house at this point.  Just doesn't belong on our campus and doesn't align with our mission as stated by PK.

Borrow, fundraise, etc.  Whatever needs to be done.  We need to get this moving.

Baseball is a successful program that I am proud of and hope to see continued investment in, but basketball is a revenue generating sport.  This needs to be addressed.   

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Need to push for a convocation center.  Similar to what miami and ucf did. Doesn't necessarily need to be as big of course.  Multi purpose, multi income, useful for university as a whole which allows for more creative funding and financing that wouldn't solely depend on donations and athletic department to finance it.  Somewhat confused why we haven't gone this route already.  
Back to the top

I think SeminOwl’s point and/or question is about the plan and the back-up plans.  All the talk is focused on the AAC, but if the Sun Belt pulls off what they are rumored to be doing I gotta say they are on the verge of being as good or better than the AAC.

Seems to me like there is a great opportunity for the AAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA to do the best thing for this level of football and redo all 3 leagues to provide for more regionalization to create better rivalries, reduce costs, etc.  Doubt it will happen, but it would make sense for all the G5 schools in Virginia, NC, GA, FL, AL, TN, and depending how big you want to be maybe even MS and LA.  Nice footprint/less travel, lots of similar type schools, lots of teams who already play each other.  And you’d have quite a few schools who are or have recently been ranked.

That is a bit of a tangent, but the questions are more about who is trying to drive things and what are the realistic options?  Seems like most of the chatter is about lots of teams leaving C-USA.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I think SeminOwl’s point and/or question is about the plan and the back-up plans.  All the talk is focused on the AAC, but if the Sun Belt pulls off what they are rumored to be doing I gotta say they are on the verge of being as good or better than the AAC.

Seems to me like there is a great opportunity for the AAC, Sun Belt, and C-USA to do the best thing for this level of football and redo all 3 leagues to provide for more regionalization to create better rivalries, reduce costs, etc.  Doubt it will happen, but it would make sense for all the G5 schools in Virginia, NC, GA, FL, AL, TN, and depending how big you want to be maybe even MS and LA.  Nice footprint/less travel, lots of similar type schools, lots of teams who already play each other.  And you’d have quite a few schools who are or have recently been ranked.

That is a bit of a tangent, but the questions are more about who is trying to drive things and what are the realistic options?  Seems like most of the chatter is about lots of teams leaving C-USA.

Posted On: Sep 15th 2021, 8:14 PM #403356

I think that’s probably because C-USA is now widely viewed as the bottom of the barrel FBS conference. Who wouldn’t want to step out of it?
Back to the top

New South Atlantic Conference:

Southern Division:
FAU
FIU
USF
Ga Southern
Ga State
UAB
Troy

Northern Division:
App State
Charlotte
ECU
Coastal Carolina
ODU
James Madison
MTSU

14 teams across 7 states that all more or less border one another (especially when you look at those divisions).  If USF isn’t on-board and won’t leave the AAC, talk to the best option/market you can that makes sense like Southern Miss (although that expands the region but is better than going to Louisiana or Texas).

Those LA and TX schools could form a new Southwestern Conference with Arkansas State thrown in.

Will never happen unless the schools actually push it and form “alliances” because each league individually will be thinking individually.  It is why FAU should be talking and negotiating with partner teams more than leagues - form an alliance with a few other schools like Charlotte and UAB (and reach out to App and others).   I would be willing to bet the teams that left the AAC pulled together to jump on the Big 12 void.  The same thing is probably needed to create better conferences overall between what is left of the Group of 5. 

Back to the top

Exit fee fodder…

Back to the top

owlsdad said

New South Atlantic Conference:

Southern Division:
FAU
FIU
USF
Ga Southern
Ga State
UAB
Troy

Northern Division:
App State
Charlotte
ECU
Coastal Carolina
ODU
James Madison
MTSU

14 teams across 7 states that all more or less border one another (especially when you look at those divisions).  If USF isn’t on-board and won’t leave the AAC, talk to the best option/market you can that makes sense like Southern Miss (although that expands the region but is better than going to Louisiana or Texas).

Those LA and TX schools could form a new Southwestern Conference with Arkansas State thrown in.

Will never happen unless the schools actually push it and form “alliances” because each league individually will be thinking individually.  It is why FAU should be talking and negotiating with partner teams more than leagues - form an alliance with a few other schools like Charlotte and UAB (and reach out to App and others).   I would be willing to bet the teams that left the AAC pulled together to jump on the Big 12 void.  The same thing is probably needed to create better conferences overall between what is left of the Group of 5. 

Posted On: Sep 15th 2021, 9:02 PM #403359

Is this even a better league then we have? USF has been dismal, we just beat Ga Southern worse than most cusa schools, Ga State probably the same thing, Troy maybe pretty similar to what we have already. App State and Coastal Carolina are intriguing but they have strung along what 2 good years (not exactly established power houses), JMU was just FCS a few years ago, and ECU hasn’t been good for a while. I do agree with your point to align (preferably regionally), and make alliances but this league doesn’t excite me. It really just depends what kind of tv deal we could get with it as it’s all about the money.
Back to the top

Yes we have to be looking at all scenarios. Think of it this way. .

The AAC obviously is the best option.  And hope that they take UAB , us, and 2 other competent programs lie Marshall , UTSA, north Texas , Charlotte etc

If the AAC takes 4 members not named fau, we have to look at the sun belt.  Marshall and southern miss are supposedly talking to them already and we should latch on if USF blocks us from the AAC

If FAU isn't forward thinking we could be left behind in a conference with FIU, WKU, MT , UTEP, la tech and either north Texas or utsa.

That would force us to take fcs teams in like eastern Kentucky , Missouri state , Jacksonville state etc. It would be horrendous !!!
Back to the top

The Athletic seems to believe we’re in play. When discussing FAU, the writer states “This place will do whatever it takes to win at football as told to me by a source.”

Conference realignment's next steps: What I'm hearing about the American, Sun Belt and more in the Group of 5 – The Athletic
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

Yes we have to be looking at all scenarios. Think of it this way. .

The AAC obviously is the best option.  And hope that they take UAB , us, and 2 other competent programs lie Marshall , UTSA, north Texas , Charlotte etc

If the AAC takes 4 members not named fau, we have to look at the sun belt.  Marshall and southern miss are supposedly talking to them already and we should latch on if USF blocks us from the AAC

If FAU isn't forward thinking we could be left behind in a conference with FIU, WKU, MT , UTEP, la tech and either north Texas or utsa.

That would force us to take fcs teams in like eastern Kentucky , Missouri state , Jacksonville state etc. It would be horrendous !!!
Posted On: Sep 16th 2021, 8:51 AM #403363

This would be a major concern for me is Saunders was still President and Angelos was still AD but with Dr. Kelly and Brian White, I’d like to think we have the people in place to make a move
Back to the top
Control functions: