Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU Football @ Air Force - September 25, 2021

Add topic

The Owls Go For 2nd Straight Win vs Falcons

The Matchup: Florida Atlantic (2-1) @ Air Force (2-1)

When: Saturday, September 25th, 8:00 PM

Where: Falcon Stadium

TV: FSN2 (740 Local Xfinity)

Stream: Fox Sports App

Radio: 640 The Hurricane

Opening Line: FAU +7

Weather: Current conditions in USAF Academy, CO

The Series: The Owls won their only matchup with the Falcons, winning 33-27 on Sept. 8, 2018. Chris Robison set the FAU record for most passing yards in a game with 471 that day in FAU's 2018 home opener.

Air Force Team Site: Here

Key Stats Comparison:

Owl Notes

After taking a 45-14 victory over Fordham last week, the Owls are looking for their first road win of the season against the Air Force Falcons on Saturday. After beating Georgia Southern 38-6 the week prior, only allowing 139 yards on the ground, FAU is ready to face off against another triple-option offense this week.

Florida Atlantic was incredible on run defense against Fordham, holding the Rams to just 29 yards rushing. Linebacker Caliph Brice (photo below) registered a team-leading six total tackles and quarterback hurry last week. He leads the Owls with 24 tackles through three weeks of play, being a crucial piece to the linebacker core.

Safety Teja Young has also been a crucial part of FAU's defensive success, and he added to it with a pick-six that helped seal the game for the Owls last week. "I call him a real-life football player," Head Coach Willie Taggart said after the game. He plays the game the way he's supposed to." He has been crucial in all aspects of the defense, leading the team in interceptions with two while registering 21 tackles on the season.

On offense, quarterback N'Kosi Perry and wide receiver LaJohntay Wester continue to develop chemistry. Wester became the first FAU wideout to have two consecutive 100-yard games since Jovon Durante did so in 2018 and became the first Owl to have 10 receptions in a game since Harrison Bryant did in 2019 after recording 101 yards and a touchdown on 10 receptions on Sept. 18. Perry added 278 yards and two touchdowns through the air. His seven passing touchdowns on the season are more than any FAU quarterback had last season while he just stands 34 yards away from breaking Nick Tronti's team-leading mark of 905 from last season.

Falcon Notes

After taking hold of a 31-20 lead with a 51-yard touchdown run from junior fullback Emmanuel Michel, the Falcons gave up 14 unanswered points to let Utah State get back into the game. The Falcons would answer with two touchdowns of their own, including another rushing touchdown of over 50 yards from Michel, to go up 45-34, but Utah State would answer back with two unanswered touchdowns of their own to win the game 49-45.

Michel finished the game with 133 yards on 11 attempts, averaging 12.1 yards per carry. 105 of those 133 yards came from his two long touchdown runs. Michel has the ability to break away for a big play, but Air Force's rushing attack doesn't stop with him. The Falcons run a very run-heavy offense, being the second team in three weeks that FAU faces that run the triple-option. They currently rank 10th in the nation in rushing yards per game with 273.

Quarterback Haaziq Daniels has 245 rushing yards on 46 attempts through the first through weeks of the season, adding five rushing touchdowns in the process. Those five rushing touchdowns tie him for fifth in the nation. Running back Brad Roberts leads the team in rushing yards with 328, adding two touchdowns.

Junior linebacker Thadius Blackmon is a key defensive player to watch for the Falcons. He leads the team in total tackles with 17, adding three tackles for a loss and a quarterback hurry.

Back to the top

Coach Taggart isn't as worried about the altitude as I am.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

6,035 feet is not that high.
Usually your body starts feeling something above 6,600.
I get sick around above 8,000.
Anyways, I see the team losing this game, I hope that's not the case but after this game FAU should be able to win out and finish 10-2.
Back to the top

Number change for now for TJ Chase:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

This team will have to be prepared to rotate a large amount of bodies in and out of the game. Even if it’s not as high as some place they could play if your not living there you’re not use to it. So at most they can do keep hydrated and possibly travel early to run a quick run through to see how it would effect them. 
Back to the top

This team breathes hot humid air all day. Not an issue.
Back to the top

We did very well at Wyoming, just p...ed it away!
Back to the top

Wive's Tale said

This team breathes hot humid air all day. Not an issue.
Posted On: Sep 21st 2021, 9:24 AM #403517

Hot and Humid air isn’t the same as almost a mile above sea level especially if you ain’t used to it. You may end up seeing some of people using oxygen. 
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

We did very well at Wyoming, just p…ed it away!
Posted On: Sep 21st 2021, 10:01 AM #403518

Oh my what a loss that was
Back to the top

LawOwl said

GeorgiaOwl said

We did very well at Wyoming, just p…ed it away!
Posted On: Sep 21st 2021, 8:01 AM #403518

Oh my what a loss that was
Posted On: Sep 21st 2021, 10:08 AM #403520

That Wyoming loss was on the coach, not the players. 
Back to the top
Control functions: