Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

C-USA Football: Games for Week of October 2, 2021

Add topic

Nah American IS much better than CUSA and any other G5. Ya still got SMU, Memphis, USF, Navy, East Carolina, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa. PLUS likely adding UAB and FAU and maybe even UTSA and Charlotte. More major media markets than the rest of G5 combined for media contract impact!

IF that happens what is left of CUSA? Lets see; FIU, WKU, Marshall,  MTSU, ODU, La Tech, S. Miss, N. Texas, Rice and UTEP. Exciting huh with far less media market size!

Belt has Atlanta and Mobile and Myrtle Beach and then far less for media markets..

MAC has Chicago (sorta), Akron, Toledo and Buffalo and then less….

Even Mountain West only  has Denver (again sorta), San Diego (maybe now), San Jose, Honolulu and then less,,,,
Back to the top

The only difference becomes in-state rivalry games vs. USF instead of FIU.

And switching out trips to Hattiesburg, Huntington, and Ruston for New Orleans, Philadelphia, and Annapolis/Wichita.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Following a night where he completed 46-64 passes for 488 yards and three touchdowns at No. 17 Michigan State, QB Bailey Zappe was named C-USA Offensive Player of the Week. Middle Tennessee S Reed Blankenship took home Defensive Player of the Week honors following a monster performance in a league win over Marshall, tallying seven tackles, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries (one of which he returned 90 yards for a touchdown) and a pass break-up. Southern Miss KR Camron Harrell was named C-USA Special Teams Player of the Week after returning a kickoff 95 yards for a touchdown and recovering an onside kick at Rice. The 2021 C-USA Players of the Week awards are presented by Surf & Turf Golf and are voted on by a panel of the league’s media.

Zappe completed 46-64 (71.2%) passes for 488 yards, with three touchdowns and zero interceptions at No. 17 Michigan State. It was the third-most passing yards against a Spartans’ defense since 2000. Zappe’s 488 yards were the fifth-most in WKU history and the most by a C-USA quarterback since ODU’s Blake LaRussa had 495 vs. Virginia Tech in 2018. Zappe’s 46 completions tied the WKU all-time record set by Brandon Doughty vs. Bowling Green in 2014 and were the most by a C-USA quarterback since that same performance. For the season, Zappe is now 133-183 (72.7%) for 1,712 yards, with 16 touchdowns compared to only two interceptions on the year. Zappe’s 428.0-yard average leads all FBS quarterbacks and he has three of the four 400-yard passing performances among all C-USA quarterbacks in 2021.

Blankenship was all over the field against the Herd Saturday with seven tackles, a forced fumble, two fumble recoveries and a pass break-up. With Middle Tennessee leading, 28-14, the Herd was threatening to pull within a score before Blankenship picked up a fumble and raced 90 yards for a touchdown late in the third quarter. It was the second defensive score of his career to go with a 100-yard interception return (2018 at Old Dominion).

Harrell registered a 95-yard kickoff return for a touchdown and also recovered an onside kick to almost single-handedly lead Southern Miss to a comeback in its 24-19 setback at Rice Saturday. The kick return for a score was the second of his career, tying the school mark for most kickoff returns for a touchdown. He is the eighth Golden Eagle to ever accomplish that feat. As a starting defensive back for the squad, Harrell also added three tackles in the contest.

C-USA Media Relations

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Nah American IS much better than CUSA and any other G5. Ya still got SMU, Memphis, USF, Navy, East Carolina, Temple, Tulane and Tulsa. PLUS likely adding UAB and FAU and maybe even UTSA and Charlotte. More major media markets than the rest of G5 combined for media contract impact!

IF that happens what is left of CUSA? Lets see; FIU, WKU, Marshall,  MTSU, ODU, La Tech, S. Miss, N. Texas, Rice and UTEP. Exciting huh with far less media market size!

Belt has Atlanta and Mobile and Myrtle Beach and then far less for media markets..

MAC has Chicago (sorta), Akron, Toledo and Buffalo and then less….

Even Mountain West only  has Denver (again sorta), San Diego (maybe now), San Jose, Honolulu and then less,,,,
Posted On: Oct 3rd 2021, 8:39 PM #403905

Also, the AAC has probably the most competent leadership of any G5 conference which gives me hope that whatever TV deal we end up with is going to be leaps and bounds better than what we currently have which ultimately means more money and viewership. C-USA is a dumpsterfire we get a few hundred thousand a year off of the current media deal. With the AAC, even if the media deal is cut in half by revenue, we still come out way ahead 
Back to the top
Control functions: