Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

IT'S OFFICIAL! FAU to the American Athletic Conference

illinoisowl said

Does anyone know specifically why FIU was not considered by the AAC other than speculations? Did they apply for membership? 

Do they have a message board anymore? I tried searching and I found something that doesn’t seem to work. 
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2021, 8:21 AM #404361

They haven’t invested into the program. Facilities is the major factor. 

And I don’t think a message board exists anymore 
Back to the top

illinoisowl said

Does anyone know specifically why FIU was not considered by the AAC other than speculations? Did they apply for membership? 

Do they have a message board anymore? I tried searching and I found something that doesn’t seem to work. 
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2021, 8:21 AM #404361

I’ll say based on conversations I’ve had with those in our athletics dept and from what I’ve read, it really came down to this for the AAC: “Are we bringing programs that are seriously investing in their athletics departments for the long term?” We answered that question easily and FIU did not. I also do not believe they ever had any conversations with the AAC. 

I hope they can salvage their athletics department I’d love to keep the annual rivalry going I think it’s good for both programs but C-USA now has no choice but to rebuild by bringing in 3-5 FCS programs. And that’s IF Middle and WKU don’t bolt for the MAC
Back to the top

I mentioned the upswing of the SBC earlier in this thread. Looks like it is now more desirable than CUSA with teams jumping from CUSA to SBC. Pretty amazing how things have changed in the last few years. All it took was a couple of SBC teams to pull some upsets, make the top 25, and get some brand recognition going for the conference. Hopefully the AAC stays strong with the departure of the premier teams.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Click ➡️

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Pretty amazing how things have changed in the last few years. All it took was a couple of SBC teams to pull some upsets, make the top 25, and get some brand recognition going for the conference.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2021, 10:57 AM #404365

A few things to mention here…

A big factor that goes unsaid now, and should be brought back up is that they were willing to play on Thursday nights initially to gain the contract with ESPN, while their was hesitancy by C-USA to do so.

It obviously comes at a cost to the program given the unsteady practice and travel schedules required.

Secondly, the SBC product improved as well, as the first year with the media deal they (SBC) were not as good as they are now overall.

Thirdly, recruiting success also increased. And while the media deal may have played a part in that, something that can also likely be attributed is the ability of the coaches to reach prospects very easily (it's a level playing field now with free touches via social media) with little travel monies/efforts required until necessary.

Lastly, someone keep me in line here but are the overall entrance requirements lesser for the SBC when compared to C-USA?

You put all of this together and you have the perfect storm for what was basically silent lane pass by the SBC.

Regardless, someone should have been monitoring the trend and made the necessary leverage calls/requests to right the ship.

If Judy wants to save her job, she should do what it takes to get Liberty in the mix (if that option is still there).

Back to the top

Rick said

owlfan1 said

Pretty amazing how things have changed in the last few years. All it took was a couple of SBC teams to pull some upsets, make the top 25, and get some brand recognition going for the conference.
Posted On: Oct 23rd 2021, 10:57 AM #404365
A few things to mention here…

A big factor that goes unsaid now, and should be brought back up is that they were willing to play on Thursday nights initially to gain the contract with ESPN, while their was hesitancy by C-USA to do so.

It obviously comes at a cost to the program given the unsteady practice and travel schedules required.

Secondly, the SBC product improved as well, as the first year with the media deal they (SBC) were not as good as they are now overall.

Thirdly, recruiting success also increased. And while the media deal may have played a part in that, something that can also likely be attributed is the ability of the coaches to reach prospects very easily (it's a level playing field now with free touches via social media) with little travel monies/efforts required until necessary.

Lastly, someone keep me in line here but are the overall entrance requirements lesser for the SBC when compared to C-USA?

You put all of this together and you have the perfect storm for what was basically silent lane pass by the SBC.

Regardless, someone should have been monitoring the trend and made the necessary leverage calls/requests to right the ship.

If Judy wants to save her job, she should do what it takes to get Liberty in the mix (if that option is still there).

Posted On: Oct 23rd 2021, 8:38 PM #404368

I agree. All your points are valid. I was thinking specifically of how it seemed like Coastal Carolina was on ESPN every week last year. Their stock went through the roof. I know I was tuning in to watch them despite having no connection to the school or program. Add in Louisiana and the SBC was getting national recognition far beyond that of the C-USA. Or if not more recognition, far more excitement and upward momentum. As the kids would say, "SBC was trending."

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Comment: #news_3387

S. Miss AND SunBelt holding joint press conference at 3:30, CUSA shrinks further! And Liberty showing NO hurry in joining CUSA. See what settling for a LAME media deal does for ya CUSA!!!!
Back to the top

C-USA won’t even afford to have a championship game with all of the travel costs associated. It’s going to end up a 9-10 team league and I believe Tarleton State, New Mexico State, Sam Houston State and perhaps Jacksonville State will all be added to make this the most Toy Car Conference in College Football. And that’s IF the MAC doesn’t come for WKU and MTSU which at least for C-USA’s sake is looking unlikely… Rick is right. Liberty has to get on board to give the league any viability. They’d own it year in and year out and be ranked but without them, C-USA is a weird geographic conference who’s media deal is offset by travel costs. Exclusively on Streaming platforms. What a joke. Judy should have been fired yesterday.
Back to the top

Back to the top

Marshall up next 
Back to the top
Control functions: