Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU vs Marshall - November 6, 2021

Add topic

FAU Attempts To Take Sole Possession of C-USA East Lead With Win Over Marshall

The Matchup: Marshall (5-3, 3-1  C-USA) @ Florida Atlantic (5-3, 3-1 C-USA)

When: Saturday, November 6th, 6:00 PM

Where: Howard Schnellenberger Field at FAU Stadium

TV: None

Stream: Facebook

Radio: 640 The Hurricane

Opening Line: FAU +1

Weather: Current conditions in Boca Raton, FL

The Series: The Thundering Herd have dominated the series so far, leading the series 7-1 so far. This includes FAU's last home loss before their 12-game home winning streak started - a 36-31 Marshall victory on Oct. 18, 2019. FAU's only victory against Marshall came on Nov. 3, 2017, at FAU Stadium - a 30-25 win. FAU is 1-0 when these two teams meet in November.

Marshall Team Site: Here

Key Stats Comparison:

Owl Notes

While the scoreboard says that FAU's defense allowed 25 points, last week's 28-25 victory is still owed to the Owls' stout defense. They held the Miners to 4-of-17 on third down and forced UTEP quarterback Gavin Hardison to throw two interceptions. A lot of that had to do with cornerback Romain Mungin and safety Jordan Helm.

Mungin (photo below) had the best game of his career, notching seven solo tackles and the first interception of his career, also helping Helm notch his interception. Helm added five total tackles along with his interception - giving him the team lead in tackles (56.) They lead a passing defense that ranks 21st in the nation with 187.9 passing yards against per game.

FAU's offense operated rather efficiently when given a short field by the defense, notching four touchdowns despite only having 279 yards of total offense. This included a monster game from running back Johnny Ford, seeing him rush for 95 yards and a touchdown on 13 carries. The offensive line also only gave up one sack and three tackles for a loss, allowing quarterback N'Kosi Perry to throw 13-26 for 149 yards and a touchdown.

Thundering Herd Notes

FAU's stout passing defense faces its biggest test of the season with Marshall, who rank fifth in the nation with 353 passing yards per game. Their quarterback, Grant Wells, is seventh in the nation in passing yards (2,326) with 10 touchdowns and eight interceptions on 66.1% passing. In his one appearance against FAU, he threw 18-31 with 251 yards, two touchdowns, and an interception in a 20-9 win on October 24, 2020.

Marshall's true bread and butter has been scoring on rushing touchdowns - averaging the fifth-most rushing touchdowns per game (3.3.) Leading the way is Rasheen Ali, whose 13 rushing touchdowns ties him for the most in the nation. His 675 rushing yards also rank 27th in college football.

Last week, the Thundering Herd defeated the FIU Panthers 38-0. In that game, Wells threw 20-25 with 184 yards while Ali stole the show with 133 yards and two touchdowns on the ground on 26 carries.

Back to the top

Injury update? Hope not, but not a good sign.

Back to the top

Taggart didn't elaborate on the injury, just said it was an "arm injury."

Back to the top

probably the biggest game of the year.... hope we get a nice turnout....

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Shots from Tuesday's practice:

Back to the top

Update on Brice:

Back to the top

Can we run the ball vs Marshall?

Can we stop the run against Marshall?

If the combo of answers is no/no…

Going to be a loooooong night.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Confirmed that Moss will miss Saturday night's game.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Coach Taggart talking about how much of a threat this Marshall offense can be. He especially likes their freshman running back from Cleveland.

Back to the top

The team isn't shying away from the challenge. Coach Taggart says that they knew they would have to face Charlotte, and they are excited for the opportunity.

Back to the top
Control functions:

Related content