Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

Last night made it official Willie should be on the hot seat. The lack of progress on the field is beyond concerning, lack of player development, we don’t do anything well, lack of any consistency, bad coaching decisions and nothing is being schemed up.

These last 3 games will tell us a lot. If things go nuclear and we go 0-3 or 1-2 I truly believe we may need move on. But If we finish this season 2-1 with a bowl game willie needs to prove in the last year of C-USA that he is the guy to bring us into the AAC. Anything less than 8 or 9 wins next year FAU would need to move on. 
Back to the top

I just don't see how he should be on the hot seat considering the reason we lost was because two different players did not catch perfectly thrown passes for scores (3 total times), our running back coughed up the ball just outside the endzone, and our punter kicked an uncharacteristically low ball.

Ok though, i will recant the below ⬇️ ⬇️⬇️ slightly and attribute the 15 yard penalty that kept us on the field to him in a stretch…but only because that is a discipline thing which he is ultimately responsible for, an it has been a trend.

BUT we did MUCH better in that camp last night.

Rick said

Two drops, an untimely penalty, an untimely fumble, and two special teams miscues.

That's why Marshall is winning right now.

(not coaching)

Posted On: Nov 6th 2021, 8:35 PM #404731
Back to the top

I agree with Rick. Willie shouldn’t be on the hot seat yet. A lot of last nights failures can be laid primarily on the players. Dropped passes, misplayed on assignments, blown assignments, poor protection.  Yet maybe in the off-season some changes in the coaching staff should come. Special teams play needs to be improved and so does the protection by the Oline. Yet since he got here Taggart had to deal with the pandemic and a shortened season and now people calling for his head.  He’s two seasons into his tenure. I’m going to give him until next season before I make my judgement.

Rick said

I just don't see how he should be on the hot seat considering the reason we lost was because two different players did not catch perfectly thrown passes for scores (3 total times), our running back coughed up the ball just outside the endzone, and our punter kicked an uncharacteristically low ball.

Ok though, i will recant the below ⬇️ ⬇️⬇️ slightly and attribute the 15 yard penalty that kept us on the field to him in a stretch…but only because that is a discipline thing which he is ultimately responsible for, an it has been a trend.

BUT we did MUCH better in that camp last night.

Rick said

Two drops, an untimely penalty, an untimely fumble, and two special teams miscues.

That's why Marshall is winning right now.

(not coaching)

Posted On: Nov 6th 2021, 8:35 PM #404731
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 10:19 AM #404789

Back to the top

Does anyone else think Willie seemed a bit nonchalant in his comments after the game? I mean this was a winnable game and it meant a lot for deciding who may be at the top of the division. It just seemed like regarding the fumbles and missed catches he was like "Oh, what can you do that did not happen in practice. These guys do not usually miss those catches. Whatever happens in the rest of the season happens." While I do not think Willie is directly responsible for the missed plays, I think he may be indirectly responsible for the lack of mental preparation and disciple that resulted in the missed plays. 

I just compare this to Lane Kiffin's coaching where even if FAU was winning the game, but not playing well, he was still not happy and would tell the reporter that they should have won by more.  

Back to the top

He should be on the hot seat but he will get at least next year

We shouldn't have to count on desperation bomb throws to run our offense.  The playcalling is atrocious, the pass blocking is dreadful and the discipline is awful.   The defense and special teams are lacking with them being out of position plenty

I said this from the start.  You hire taggart   , you get an undisciplined and underachieving team.  He's proving it again.
Back to the top

We had 3 penalties for 25 yards, I'd hardly say we were undisciplined. The play calls were there, the WRs dropped 3 very catchable passes. I was disappointed on the opening kickoff and maybe that's coaching. Also, we have to stop with the "we had the #1 recruiting class, therefore we should be number 1" If you look at the Lane years, a lot of them signed, but never made it to campus, or were only here for a little while. Maybe I'm naïve, but I think the WT hot seat is premature. I think the consensus was a 7-5 or 8-4 season at  the beginning of the year. I agree, WT needs a signature win sooner than later.
Back to the top

USMCOWL said

I agree with Rick. Willie shouldn’t be on the hot seat yet. A lot of last nights failures can be laid primarily on the players. Dropped passes, misplayed on assignments, blown assignments, poor protection.  Yet maybe in the off-season some changes in the coaching staff should come. Special teams play needs to be improved and so does the protection by the Oline. Yet since he got here Taggart had to deal with the pandemic and a shortened season and now people calling for his head.  He’s two seasons into his tenure. I’m going to give him until next season before I make my judgement.
Yeah, there is absolutely no way he is on the hot seat now. Some people had him on the seat before he joined lol, but you hit all the key points. I'm not thrilled with a lot of what I see – but to put him on the hot seat at 5-4 right after (literally) his first loss at home to a team we almost never beat is extreme.
Back to the top

I am not a big believer in Willie and I do think ultimately we will need to move on from him but he’s not on the hot seat… yet.. Especially if we win two out of the last three and get to another bowl game, there’s no way we fire a coach who just had back to back winning seasons with two bowl appearances even if one was a loss. My how Lane changed our expectations. We would be thrilled with Willie currently if this was 2017-2018 coming off of the Partridge era.
Back to the top

All fair points. But there is nothing I have seen from this team that I have any confidence we will go 2-1 to end this year. Let’s see how we feel after we maybe win a close game against ODU, WKU beats by double digits, and we have another lackluster effort at home to end the year against MTSU. 

I was a supporter of Willie when we hired him. But all my concerns have come true. We don’t have a Quentin flowers to mask Willie’s issues as a coach. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

All fair points. But there is nothing I have seen from this team that I have any confidence we will go 2-1 to end this year. Let’s see how we feel after we maybe win a close game against ODU, WKU beats by double digits, and we have another lackluster effort at home to end the year against MTSU. 

I was a supporter of Willie when we hired him. But all my concerns have come true. We don’t have a Quentin flowers to mask Willie’s issues as a coach. 
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 2:41 PM #404800

I believe the same, this hire was out of his name only and not on how good of a coach he was.  I have a bad feeling we will go 6-6 and may barely squeak into the Bahamas bowl.  This team has no identity as it has no one strength that makes it unique. I am not sure if one more year of this is worth it, next year our schedule will not be as bad.  

Here’s a thought and it maybe a hot name but what about Art Briles and he brings in Kendall.  A move like that can resurrect his career and put us in the map.  Since his name is cleared from the Baylor mess I’m sure he’s interested into something else. 

Taggart is simply not a great coach. If it was lane we would have found a way to beat UaB and who knows try and compete better against a terrible UF. If we want to join a mega conference in the future say the ACC we need to dominate the American. Taggart is not that guy, sorry.
Back to the top
Control functions: