Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

Rick with the mic drop. I do appreciate the insightful football conversation.
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

cbboarder said

2020 Head Coach Candidates to Replace Kiffin - FAU Owl's Nest

Rick - Honest question, what changed your opinion? I assume you have had considerable interaction with the team and coaches.   
Posted On: Nov 8th 2021, 1:10 AM #404813

He became Florida Atlantic coach.  Gotta tow the line if you cover them
Posted On: Nov 8th 2021, 7:29 AM #404814

True but I'm thinking there's more to the story. I respect Rick's opinion and would like to know what he's seeing with his access to the team and coaches.

I'd love to be able to tow the line but the product on the field prevents that from happening. Maybe is can change my mind…..

Go Owls!

Back to the top

My opinion from two years ago was towards originally staying with an internal choice for continuity sake…obviously, that didn't happen…anyway, it's not tied to the post from last night which was primarily to do a deep dive into the validity of the network of staff choices and performance premise…Have seen it here a number of times, and on social media as well…so was NOT singling you out…but when you look at who is here and what has actually happened on the field, it does not align…that was pretty much it.

Off to work  :)
Back to the top

The thing with this coaching staff that baffles me is the lack of creativity and wasted potential. Our play calling is so uninspired that I can predict our next play 80% of the time and I barely know football. There's no trick plays, no going for it on 4th down, no corrections during the game at all. I get that the QB is getting a lot of pressure but the coaches never try anything to prevent it - Just see how the rams corrected their OL play in the second half of the game last night to give their QB some more time.

I don't get the whole argument about "players need to make plays to win" approach. Football is a game like chess where strategy and creativity of the coaching staff is just as important as the players making the plays. I miss our old coaching stuff when they would be drawing up designed plays on the sideline to exploit weaknesses in their opponents. This coaching staff plays every game the same way as if every team is the same.

We have the talent on offense to score 40+ points in every game. And we probably have the most experienced secondary this season in our programs history but our defense struggles against the pass.
Back to the top

My point in this post was I’m not firing willie yet. But the seat heaters are officially on in my opinion. If we go out and play well these last 3 games and hopefully a bowl game. Everything will be squashed.

But if we got out and finish the year 1-2 with 3 lackluster performances with Bailey zappe running us out of bowling green. I think we will have a legitimate conversation. 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Is Michael Johnson Jr as good as advertised? Tempted to see what would happen if he handed the reins to him on O
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 9:20 PM #404809

he is…. he's raw but he was the best QB during alot of the spring…. it's one of the reasons Taggert will get another year without hesitation….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver Bullet said

LawOwl said

Is Michael Johnson Jr as good as advertised? Tempted to see what would happen if he handed the reins to him on O

he is…. he's raw but he was the best QB during alot of the spring…. it's one of the reasons Taggert will get another year without hesitation….
Posted On: Nov 10th 2021, 11:01 PM #404862

With the right QB, Taggart runs a top 10 offense in the country.  If Johnson Jr is that guy, things will get fun again.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Silver Bullet said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Nov 10th 2021, 11:01 PM #404862

With the right QB, Taggart runs a top 10 offense in the country.  If Johnson Jr is that guy, things will get fun again.
Posted On: Nov 11th 2021, 9:54 AM #404865

Exactly. This offense is definitely better than last year, so this team has improved, but there are 3 simple things missing from 2019 that are large reasons for the struggles.

1. Chris Robison
  2. Deangelo Antoine
  3. Harrison Bryant

Taggart will get guys to give us more production in the years to come, but those 3 players I listed above were majority of the offense in 2019, and that's hard to replace with a new coach after one COVID season.
Back to the top

I think it is a little premature to be talking "hot seat" after not even completing two seasons as head coach. Team still has a winning record (hopefully can end the season with a winning record). It is not like the team has only one win, and it is not like FAU is a top name program akin to a Texas, LSU, Florida, etc. where the pressure to win is high from day one. Here is how this goes moving forward.

1) The season finishes with a winning record and expectations are high going into next season. Next season plays out, and with a better than .500 record and bowl game, Taggart stays to see year 4.

2) The season finishes with a winning record and the expectations are high going into next season. Next season plays out and the teams struggles. A losing record and things get evaluated with a possible change in order.

3) This season ends with a losing record and next season starts with a little heat and a need to win. Next season plays out and the team has a strong showing 7 wins and bowl appearance. Taggart stays to see year 4.

4) This season ends with a losing record and next season starts with a little heat and a need to win. Next season doesn't live up to expectations and a losing record in back to back seasons forces a change.

Based on the above, I see everything depending on next season. This year can end positively or negatively, but next season will be telling. A sub .500 season in 2022 and changes will be likely.

I also think the powers that be would like to see some coaching continuity. FAU cannot continue to move forward with constant changes in the HC position. This benefits Taggart as he will likely get a little more time to prove himself.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Agree with all Owlfan!
Back to the top
Control functions: