Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

Here’s my thing, we have a favorable schedule next year with a Mac opener against Ohio and a winnable Purdue game. Next year If we go on a run we can get ranked but with Taggart I see losses. I know we needed someone but you just don’t hire the guy that got fired from his dream job. Zappe is going to destroy us and MTSU will beat us. This season is like 2018, we did nothing right and can’t close out games. I wish we had Kiffin still, that was the best time in our program. The time is now, yo make moves.  If we go 5-7 with our schedule, fire Taggart and hire Lebby or Art Briles.  I know the Briles hire sounds bad but we would have the best scoring offense in the country. At this point idc Taggart isn’t taking us anywhere.
Back to the top

Don’t be so sure that next years games against Ohio and Purdue are winnable games especially the way Purdue is playing this year.
We have shown nothing to get excited about lately.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

Found this interesting nugget as written by our own, Jake Elman. Jake can you elaborate?

“TAGGART owes FAU $3 million if he leaves the school or is fired before Dec. 1, 2022. The buyout drops to $1 million if he leaves before Dec. 1, 2023 and $500,000 between Dec. 2, 2023-Dec. 31, 2024.“
Sounds like this idiot might owe us $3 mil if we fire him. If that’s the case, why wait an extra second? Can him and bring in Ken Briles 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.jacksonville.com/amp/2095671007
Posted On: Nov 14th 2021, 6:57 AM #405071

It’s an obvious mistake in the article. No, he will not owe the university money if they fire him.

If the university fires him without cause he will be owed his annual salary ($750k per year) for up to 3 years or until his contract concludes on Dec 31 2024 or until he terminates employment with the university (presumably by accepting another position elsewhere). It’s pretty much the similar contract terms as for other football coaches at FAU like Partridge and I believe for Kiffin too.

Here are the details of his contract: https://2michy3wy0l30d34041dt1et-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/football/wp-content/uploads/sites/3/2018/08/Taggart-Willie-Offer-Letter-Memorandum-of-Understanding-12.12.19.pdf
Back to the top

There is no way the university is going to fire him after only two seasons especially with one being so impacted by COVID. He will be given at least through next year and likely at least two more years. Even Partridge who went 3-9 for three straight seasons was cut loose after 3 years and he wasn’t even impacted by COVID.

I think it would be a mistake to fire Willie so quickly. Not only will we not be giving him enough of an opportunity to get his team in place but we will be sending the wrong message to other possible candidates. We should not over react as a fan base and university.
Back to the top

owl said

It’s an obvious mistake in the article. No, he will not owe the university money if they fire him.
Posted On: Nov 14th 2021, 12:33 PM #405078

I misworded it at the time. My apologies. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

This is all a big if, and even if it did happen another job negates the entire perpetuity clause.
Back to the top

I read the frustration on all of you. I was not a fan of the hire; it was just a name at the moment to keep the momentum from the Kiffin era. There is something about his style I am not so sure about; however, the coaching staff is here to blame too; including players. The offense lacks creativity, Perry does not convince me at all.
I personally believe we get 1 more year under Taggart but if the trend continues; we will not survive in the AAC.
Back to the top

All I now is we started good last year and lost final 5…

This tear we started fine and now 0-2 with two more losses a real possibility.

If that happens he HASTA GO!
Back to the top

owl said

There is no way the university is going to fire him after only two seasons especially with one being so impacted by COVID.]
And losing Robison right before the season. Last year to me was always a wash.

This year to me was a show and prove year, and there were a few good points (adjustments at half at Charlotte immediately come to mind), but what I saw yesterday and against Marshall was beyond disturbing. With that said, win the last two and show us something, and we can breathe easier – just no signs right now that will happen and I understand the angst coming after the Kiffin era.

Folks also have to realize that another Lane Kiffin aint walking through that door lol. Having him here with that staff was catching lightning in a bottle, and there was still a 5-7, bowless season in the middle of it.
Back to the top

d-owl said

owl said

There is no way the university is going to fire him after only two seasons especially with one being so impacted by COVID.]
And losing Robison right before the season. Last year to me was always a wash.

This year to me was a show and prove year, and there were a few good points (adjustments at half at Charlotte immediately come to mind), but what I saw yesterday and against Marshall was beyond disturbing. With that said, win the last two and show us something, and we can breathe easier – just no signs right now that will happen and I understand the angst coming after the Kiffin era.

Folks also have to realize that another Lane Kiffin aint walking through that door lol. Having him here with that staff was catching lightning in a bottle, and there was still a 5-7, bowless season in the middle of it.
Posted On: Nov 14th 2021, 4:23 PM #405085

Lots of people (including myself sometimes), act like that 5-7 season never happened lol. Half of the board was ready to put Kiffin on the hot seat after his second season too. I believe that year 3 will determine Taggart's future.
Back to the top
Control functions: