Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU @ Western Kentucky - November 20, 2021

Add topic

FAU Faces Tough Test vs Hilltoppers

The Matchup: Florida Atlantic (5-5, 3-3 C-USA) @ Western Kentucky (6-4, 5-1 C-USA)

When: Saturday, November 20th, 12:00 PM

Where: L.T. Smith Stadium

TV: Stadium, CW34 Locally

Stream: Stadium

Radio: 640 The Hurricane

Opening Line: FAU +10

Weather: Current conditions in Bowling Green, KY

The Series: While taking the last four in a row, the Owls hold a 9-3 advantage against the Hilltoppers, with the most recent being a 10-6 win at Howard Schnellenberger Field November 7, 2020.

WKU Team Site: Here

Key Stats Comparison:

Owl Notes

It's do or die for the FAU Owls.

With a 30-16 loss to the ODU Monarchs, Florida Atlantic finds itself dashing for a win to become bowl eligible. Just two weeks ago, they had C-USA Championship aspirations in mind, holding a share of first place in the C-USA East division before losing their next two games.

A lot of it has to do with the one dimension offense the team runs. It relies on deep passes, which do hit every so often and showed with N'Kosi Perry's 59-yard touchdown pass to Brandon Robinson on Saturday, but makes for a very quick end to a drive if the passes aren't converted - which also happens very often.

FAU did improve in that area last week, only going three-and-out once, but they struggled near their own goal line, with Perry taking two safeties that made it a 4-3 game at one point.

Defensively, everything was left to the safeties, with Jordan Helm and Teja Young combining for 27 of FAU's 104 tackles on Sunday. Both Helm and Young are incredible field generals and are able to shoulder that responsibility, but a lot of those plays happened because FAU let ODU make plays that ended in the secondary rather than stopping them short.

That should be another thing to watch going into this week's game against Western Kentucky.

Hilltopper Notes

Bowling Green, KY - home to one of the country's best quarterbacks this season.

Leading the nation in both passing yards (4,170) and passing touchdowns (42,) Bailey Zappe proves to be a huge threat for the FAU defense and one that the Owls' offense might not be able to keep up with.

The Hilltoppers have, by far, the most effective passing offense in the league, averaging 423.7 yards per game through the air. They're the only school in the nation with over 400 - with second place Virginia having 380.5 - a 43.2 yard per game margin. FAU ranks 65th in passing defense, allowing 228.7 passing yards per game, so it could prove to be a challenge for them, especially while they're in danger of being without corner Diashun Moss for the third week in a row.

One way the Owls can get into this ball game is if their passing plays hit. Western Kentucky's 110th ranked passing defense allowed 265.7 passing yards per game, so that could open up opportunities for some deep balls.

Back to the top

Coach Taggart said that the vibe after the game wasn't a good time…

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Coach says that the entire program needs to be accountable for the ODU loss.

Back to the top

Coach Taggart wanted the team to see what they did right and wrong with one another. They want the players to support one another in their success and be accountable for each other in their wrongs.

Back to the top

Coach Taggart is saying that WKU's Bailey Zappe will absolutely be an NFL quarterback.

Back to the top

Last week it was the players taking responsibility, this week it's everybody. If we lose to WKU, do think WT will finally take responsibility? IMO - probably not…..
Back to the top

This is going to be a butt kicking
Back to the top

I reported that it seemed like it was moving in this direction, but now it's confirmed. Duashun Moss will miss the remainder of the campaign due to a season-ending surgery.

Back to the top

Coach Taggart wants all the players to give their all to finish the season strong. FAU will need to win one of their final two games of the season to become bowl eligible.

Back to the top

A graduate of WKU, Coach Taggart says Bowling Green is a special place for him and his family. He says that he will "have to see if they still have my jersey up in the stadium" now that he's on the opposing sideline at Smith Stadium

Back to the top
Control functions: