Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

The administration doesn't want to pay millions more to buy out the garbage coach a year early.  I think they know their mistake by now. If not , maybe they should be gone too
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

The administration doesn't want to pay millions more to buy out the garbage coach a year early.  I think they know their mistake by now. If not , maybe they should be gone too
Posted On: Nov 22nd 2021, 12:24 PM #405386
Statements like "the university administration still has confidence" are usually the kiss of death lol. If a coach is doing good, stuff like that doesn't need to be said.
Back to the top

Rick said

I just don't see how he should be on the hot seat considering the reason we lost was because two different players did not catch perfectly thrown passes for scores (3 total times), our running back coughed up the ball just outside the endzone, and our punter kicked an uncharacteristically low ball.

Ok though, i will recant the below ⬇️ ⬇️⬇️ slightly and attribute the 15 yard penalty that kept us on the field to him in a stretch…but only because that is a discipline thing which he is ultimately responsible for, an it has been a trend.

BUT we did MUCH better in that camp last night.

Rick said

Two drops, an untimely penalty, an untimely fumble, and two special teams miscues.

That's why Marshall is winning right now.

(not coaching)

Posted On: Nov 6th 2021, 8:35 PM #404731
Posted On: Nov 7th 2021, 10:19 AM #404789

I haven't read through the whole thread so forgive me if this was already said.

These are repeated problems that are not being corrected.  They get corrected by the standard set by the HC.  Clearly, the standard is not being set high enough.  Expectations around the program are obviously increasing, these performances will not be acceptable for much longer.
Back to the top

Maybe this is stupid (began every stupid idea, ever)…

In my own team-training background (unless you want to include Inline Hockey, which, you know, name something more-90's), our most experienced man was all things behind the curtain; he led our administrative work and assignments and training; he saw to our health and welfare; and so on.

On (I guess we'll call it) game-day, he led from the rear while the subject matter experts took to the front with their assignments…sheesh, this metaphor is breaking down (it never translates one-to-one and I never learn)…

But on to the stupid idea… Could we look (if we look) for a Scott Cochran type? An institutional-type to hire and fire and train and recruit and sing-and-dance along Atlantic Ave and so on; while leaving the play-calling to the up-and-coming and affordable coaches of youth?

So there it is. A loose and broken and abandoned metaphor. An Inline Hockey reference. And a stupid question.

I do know that I have very little (if any at all) control over the temperature of Taggart's seat. And that's probably for the best; I have no idea the financial obligations represented by which of the hundreds of balls being juggled by Administration. If it was a simple as, "Is he winning?" or "Has he articulated a clear path to start winning?" the answer would be, "No." And we could move-on.

I reserve the right to be less zen about this come Saturday night.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

So there it is. A loose and broken and abandoned metaphor. An Inline Hockey reference. And a stupid question.
Posted On: Nov 23rd 2021, 4:04 PM #405410

Art, you throw up some quality stuff at times  :Yawn:

Back to the top

I criticize Taggart often lately on here but it’s with hope that he reads these forums and sees what fans are thinking about the state of the program. I think he’s going to be back next year but I really hope he humbles himself and tries to improve himself as a coach.

I think a big part of the problem with WT is that he used to be a QB in college and has always called the offense throughout his coaching. He holds onto this mantra of “lethal simplicity” which may have led to success his one year at USF. 

Ever since - his offenses have been anemic. So badly at FSU that  the university forced him to hire Kendal Briles. To no surprise, KB wasn’t able make an impact and there were a lot of rumors that KB and WT fought a lot about call making.

At fau, we’ve had back to back seasons as one of the worst d1 offenses in the country. I seriously do not believe the narrative that it’s because we don’t have any talent. If WT wants to succeed, he needs to take a deep look at his call making and make sure he humbles himself and realizes he should try to step away and let the OC do their job. 

It is absolutely unacceptable that we only scored 1 TD against ODU. It feels like this coaching staff doesn’t gameplan at all 
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

It is absolutely unacceptable that we only scored 1 TD against ODU. It feels like this coaching staff doesn’t gameplan at all 
Posted On: Nov 24th 2021, 1:51 AM #405418

It is unacceptable that we have such a caliber of OC and WT continues calling the offense.
Totally lack of creativity with those 50/50 bombs. Why not short range passes, why not include Posey in other packages, why not give MJ few minutes.
Anyways, I will be there saturday.
Wear red!
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

I criticize Taggart often lately on here but it’s with hope that he reads these forums and sees what fans are thinking about the state of the program. I think he’s going to be back next year but I really hope he humbles himself and tries to improve himself as a coach.

I think a big part of the problem with WT is that he used to be a QB in college and has always called the offense throughout his coaching. He holds onto this mantra of “lethal simplicity” which may have led to success his one year at USF. 

Ever since - his offenses have been anemic. So badly at FSU that  the university forced him to hire Kendal Briles. To no surprise, KB wasn’t able make an impact and there were a lot of rumors that KB and WT fought a lot about call making.

At fau, we’ve had back to back seasons as one of the worst d1 offenses in the country. I seriously do not believe the narrative that it’s because we don’t have any talent. If WT wants to succeed, he needs to take a deep look at his call making and make sure he humbles himself and realizes he should try to step away and let the OC do their job. 

Posted On: Nov 24th 2021, 1:51 AM #405418

You couldn't be more spot on.  

Taggerts success is based solely on the fact he  once recruited a qb (Quinton Flowers) that had the ability to turn mediocre play calling into something positive.  

Taggert just needs to learn how to be the Ceo of the program and how to delegate.  Until he humbles himself and loses the cocky know it all qb mentality he is never going to succeed again in his profession.  Being a good Ceo and giving up the offensive play calling is not a bad thing.  If he stepped back and learned to just be a Ceo combined with his great recruiting skills he could become an excellent coach.  

Back to the top

HC Briles
Ass HC Lebby

…and, because that would be the entire coaching allowance, a literal brick wall as DC.
Back to the top

Fire Willie now !!!
Back to the top
Control functions: