Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

I'm happy to see a bunch of low-contributors transfer so we can open up more scholarships. And the point about bringing in more immediate contributors makes a lot of sense too. Honestly the receivers and all their dropped deep passes and would-be touchdowns was probably the most frustrating thing to watch all year, and snagging a couple guys that can actually catch would be huge.

Every lost player is an opportunity to bring in an upgrade. It could be worse - we could be Oklahoma and have all our top recruits decommitting and going to USC. We'll probably be able to get a good handful of P5 players who can play immediately and make a big impact.
Back to the top

Another variable to consider our 2018 season and 5-7 record with Kiffin is that we started a freshman QB who also threw 12 INTs throughout that season.

This season, we went 5-7 with a senior quarterback who started the season as one of the best pass QBs in the country. How did his performance regress that much throughout the season despite no major injuries on the offense.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

Another variable to consider our 2018 season and 5-7 record with Kiffin is that we started a freshman QB who also threw 12 INTs throughout that season.

This season, we went 5-7 with a senior quarterback who started the season as one of the best pass QBs in the country. How did his performance regress that much throughout the season despite no major injuries on the offense.
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2021, 9:38 PM #405685
Might be a little far fetched that he was one of the best pass QB in the country.(Opponents Florida, Georgia Southern & Fordham)
Miami were done with him and were moving on.

Back to the top

FAU Fan said

faufan2017 said

Might be a little far fetched that he was one of the best pass QB in the country.(Opponents Florida, Georgia Southern & Fordham)

Posted On: Dec 4th 2021, 8:06 AM #405690
I'll say this about NP – I think if he had a viable O Line he would have excelled, but he couldn't adjust with the constant pressure he was under – to the point simple handoffs/taking snaps became an issue and seemed to get in his head, becoming adventures/fumbles. After a while you saw those adventures and his accuracy drop off a cliff. 
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I sure hope not Walty!

I  feel they were better prepared and the players showed they wanted it more!

Our collapse coincides with our move up into the AAC. I feel we became a target and were not prepared for it mentally. The MTSU collapse proves that to me.

THEY WANTED IT AND WE DID NOT. WE LET THEM TAKE OUR BOWL SPOT IN OUR HOUSE!!!!

And schemes matter too. WKU has a bunch of FCS transfers, we have a bunch of P5 transfers. WHO KICKED WHOS A…S!

Can y'all tell; I am quite angry with our level of Coaching and motivation how far down the

hill we have fallen

Posted On: Dec 2nd 2021, 9:42 AM #405661

I can't agree more Georgia Owl! We have the right to be extremely upset.

I've read all of the posts, and I've had some input along the way. I agree that Taggart was a premier recruiter, when he had much to lose early in his career. Now he has guaranteed money from FSU and life is much, much easier.

It is the head coaches job to motivate young adults to play to and above their abilities. Our players noticed a coach that didn't give a crap about them as early as last year.  

Something to mention about Kiffin, is that kids love playing for him. That's the bottom line. They love a coach that has confidence in their playing abilities. Kiffin did get a gift from Charlie Partridge, but Kiffin knows offense and kids love playing for him. Look at all of the NFL father's that wanted their son's playing for Kiffin. 

I truly think FAU's staff knows that they have a problem, just as we are panicking. I'm sorry, I have nothing against WT, but it's time to get our program back on track. If we don't stand up for our program, we will be the laughing joke of the AAC.

Unfortunately, If FAU was going to fire Taggart, they would have done it after the MTSU collapse. And, unfortunately, we may be stuck with him next year for a few games...

As always, GO OWLS!! 
Back to the top

d-owl said

FAU Fan said

faufan2017 said

Posted On: Dec 4th 2021, 8:06 AM #405690
I'll say this about NP – I think if he had a viable O Line he would have been excelled, but he couldn't adjust with the constant pressure he was under – to the point simple handoffs/taking snaps became an issue and seemed to get in his head, becoming adventures/fumbles. After a while you saw those adventures and his accuracy drop off a cliff. 
Posted On: Dec 4th 2021, 9:22 AM #405692

Posted this earlier, but since it came back up again, agree and resubmit:

Rick said

Disclaimer, I like Perry, and think that he has a good head on his shoulders. He's a great leader from the pure sense of staying away from the negative public distractions, while continuing to focus on self improvement with a genuine desire to help the team progress. All while being a model in that sense. We need that.

That said, the way I see it from a historical vantage point, we signed up for a progression risk at QB. The staff might have thought that he would make headway in skill development - particularly in accuracy - and while everyone might have prematurely seen him as the second coming of Robison, it hasn't been realized as he has not shown it from a numbers perspective. Neither here, in high school (59%) or at the former UM stop (52%).

He's done here what he's done there, which is have some games that are spectacular, then others that are an area of continued opportunity.

Not blaming him for anything here though, because in all reality the Marshall game saw three dimes mishandled by the WR's - which can legitimately shift responsibility away from him for that contest. The offensive line is another.

That said, aside from one great game, he has not met the challenge to become a consistent threat. It is worth noting that he has improved here at FAU in the NCAA ranks, but the current number sits at 59.9% as of now. Also of note, he's increased his percentage every year he has played in college. But he has not hit what seems to be a "magical number" of 65% completion percentage given the standings across the nation at large and what other QB's are doing.
Posted On: Nov 21st 2021, 11:01 PM #405368
Back to the top

It’s all about the coach’s ability to find strengths in their players and use them to win games. CR during Kiffin’s coaching had a completion rate of 61-63% percent. Driskel had a 67% completion in his 11-3 season with us.

I don’t understand how a senior QB who has played against very challenging teams struggled here. From a talent perspective, I don’t think he’s worse than driskel or CR.

Also how is our OL so bad despite us bringing in so many recruits and returning every starter on the OL from last season. How are they not getting better weekly.

I hope we try to reach out to Jeff Lebby, Kendal Briles and Jim Leavitt. I feel like those would be upgrade coaches while others would be far riskier
Back to the top

Love that everybody is upset and passionate about the program.

Lane is now getting paid $7,500,000 a year.

Our HC makes less than half of Lanes strength coach and 8% of what Lane makes.

So let’s get angry with those checkbooks folks!  Takes money to hire the talent we as fans have come to demand…

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Love that everybody is upset and passionate about the program.

Lane is now getting paid $7,500,000 a year.

Our HC makes less than half of Lanes strength coach and 8% of what Lane makes.

So let’s get angry with those checkbooks folks!  Takes money to hire the talent we as fans have come to demand…
Posted On: Dec 5th 2021, 9:35 AM #405729

Well said and this was the case when the program was building. It was hard to bring in talent when you played home games at a Soccer/High School Stadium. Schnelly's vision was to build an on Campus Stadium to attract talent. It happened and building other facilities gives recruiting a better chance to entice talent.

Keep in mind this is still a very young program even when compared to other schools on FAU's schedule. I look at UM, UF, FSU they were no where close to where FAU is in the same time span. In my opinion we look for coach's that were part of big programs, maybe we should look at head coach's from other division that have strong winning results. Just a thought
Back to the top

Im already looking ahead to next season and I’m worried. I can very well see us going 1-3 in our OOC ( with losses to Ohio, Perdue and UCF) and will face a very good UTSA and Marshall. 

If NKosi Perry won’t return, we’ll be stuck with another freshman QB or transfer and bam another wasted season. 
Back to the top
Control functions: