Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2022 FAU Football Recruiting Discussion

Add topic

The more I look into it, the harder it is to be excited about anything for next year. Feels like Willie is a lame duck coach, the team doesn’t have much of an opportunity to bring in talent given the scholarship restrictions and his firing is inevitable and we’ll be starting from scratch once again when we enter the American. So sad how far the program has fallen. Back to the Partridge era we go. I’m so depressed over this I can’t even get excited for Bowl Season knowing we were a lock for most of the season only to blow it. That’s on the coaches pure and simple. Thanks a lot Willie! 
Back to the top

LawOwl said

The more I look into it, the harder it is to be excited about anything for next year. Feels like Willie is a lame duck coach, the team doesn’t have much of an opportunity to bring in talent given the scholarship restrictions and his firing is inevitable and we’ll be starting from scratch once again when we enter the American. So sad how far the program has fallen. Back to the Partridge era we go. I’m so depressed over this I can’t even get excited for Bowl Season knowing we were a lock for most of the season only to blow it. That’s on the coaches pure and simple. Thanks a lot Willie! 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 7:50 AM #405820

If it makes you feel any better, you're not the only one. Bad hire from day one.

It's all FSU's fault. If they would have left him on the west coast we wouldn't be in this position….

Go Owls!
Back to the top

My understanding is that we have very few scholarships available, and we're targeting immediate impact players, less than building the foundation of incoming freshmen. From what I've read, it seems like we're going to target the transfer portal and JUCO recruits more than high school at a lot of positions.
Back to the top

LawOwl said

I really wish people would stop bashing the partridge era. It was the players that Partridge recruited that allowed Kiffin  to win 2 CUSA championships. Charlie didnt do well on the field but he left the program in a far better place than where he found it. Kiffin won his titles but basically left nothing behind to build on. 
Back to the top

voss749 said

LawOwl said

I really wish people would stop bashing the partridge era. It was the players that Partridge recruited that allowed Kiffin  to win 2 CUSA championships. Charlie didnt do well on the field but he left the program in a far better place than where he found it. Kiffin won his titles but basically left nothing behind to build on. 
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 12:06 PM #405828

Could not agree with you more!
Buddy Howell, Devin Singletary and Kerrith White in the backfield when Kiffin arrived.
Not to mention Harrison Bryant, Azeez Al-Shaair and Greg Joseph.
All NFL players now.
Back to the top

I disagree about Kiffin not leaving anyone behind for WT's group. We did lose a lot on offense but we returned so many playmakers on defense. WT had the opportunity to recruit 30 players his first season, and a good coach would have filled in deficiencies on our offense. Most of his players from 2020 did not work out..

He's just a few of the players that stand out:
Special Teams: NFL quality punter in Matt Hayball
Defense: Zyon Gilbert, John Mitchell, Romain Mungin, Ahman Ross, Leighton McCarthy, Teja Young, Chase Lasater, Caliph Brice
Offense: Lajohntay Wester, Brandon Robison, BJ Emmons
Back to the top

voss749 said

Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 12:06 PM #405828
Agreed. CP was a great recruiter and really good dude. Probably the best dad in college football lol. But just not HC material at that point. He'll end up being a really good line coach on a really good playoff team eventually, but never a really good HC. That being said, he recruited the crap out of south florida.
Back to the top

faufan2017 said

I disagree about Kiffin not leaving anyone behind for WT's group. We did lose a lot on offense but we returned so many playmakers on defense. WT had the opportunity to recruit 30 players his first season, and a good coach would have filled in deficiencies on our offense. Most of his players from 2020 did not work out..

He's just a few of the players that stand out:
Special Teams: NFL quality punter in Matt Hayball
Defense: Zyon Gilbert, John Mitchell, Romain Mungin, Ahman Ross, Leighton McCarthy, Teja Young, Chase Lasater, Caliph Brice
Offense: Lajohntay Wester, Brandon Robison, BJ Emmons
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 2:26 PM #405831

I have never understood the argument that Kiffin and his staff left nothing behind. It seems like the people who spread it either have a personal greviance with the previous regime or want to blame them for the offensive struggles over the last two years. 

Not going to pretend Kiffin’s classes were all hits. He reached on kids who had academic issues and never qualified. He reached on a few kids who haven’t seen the field too often or at all. Some guys left after a season which in the transfer portal era is normal. 

But the argument that’s been created that the current staff inherited NOTHING is silly. Smoke Mungin has looked like an elite CB at times. Lasater was great in 2020. Nick Weber played fine at center and I don’t think he missed a start from 2020-21 unless he missed one for COVID. Hayball’s been a steady all-conference punter. Joyner had a great 2020 and thrived in Leavitt’s scheme. Teja Young looks like the real deal. Caliph Brice played great when healthy. 

Here’s the reality. This is the third signing class under the current group. The majority of the starters next year will be players this current group brought in. They did not win with the players Kiffin’s staff left behind, a good amount of whom contributed to the 2017 and/or 2019 title teams. Now they need to win with their players. Let’s hope they can because I want to watch FAU win a C-USA title in 2022 and an AAC title in 2023. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

David Slavic said

My understanding is that we have very few scholarships available…
Posted On: Dec 7th 2021, 9:39 AM #405823

Not any more. we had departures that were taking some up and had to have a decision made - either by them or by the staff.

We had 11 spots now we have at least 14 and probably more on the way.

On the other, we are going after immediate impact guys, yes.

We are going to bring a QB in for sure, WR, OL.

It was 3 HS commits, 5 grayshirts, and 3 transfers.

Now we are looking at 1 HS commit, 5 grayshirts, and a lean towards 8 transfers.
Back to the top

Maybe this is the new reality for G5 football with the transfer portal in place. Just get as many transfers from P5s as possible and hope they work out instead of building a program. I give Partridge a lot of crap but that’s one thing he did right 
Back to the top
Control functions: