Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UPDATED: MTSU/Kansas OC Brent Dearmon to FAU as OC/QB Coach

Yea I never understood why Taggart does this co-offensive coordinators business when he also calls plays. 3 coaches with different styles all trying to control the offense is really just incredibly pointless
Back to the top

You guys are not going to like this hire.

Lindsey brought the most basic, bland offense I've seen at Troy in 15 years.  His run plays are the absolute worst… get ready for a lot of running straight up the middle.  And there is absolutely zero creativity.

The most creative play we saw in three seasons was a QB throwing the ball to a RB, and then RB throwing it to a WR.  It's a fairly common trick play, so it's not that creative.

His offense will do slightly better with a mobile QB… but if you have a pocket passer QB, there's going to be trouble.

He did a terrible job developing our QB's as well.  TERRIBLE.
Back to the top

Trojan Xiphos said

You guys are not going to like this hire.

Lindsey brought the most basic, bland offense I've seen at Troy in 15 years.  His run plays are the absolute worst… get ready for a lot of running straight up the middle.  And there is absolutely zero creativity.

The most creative play we saw in three seasons was a QB throwing the ball to a RB, and then RB throwing it to a WR.  It's a fairly common trick play, so it's not that creative.

His offense will do slightly better with a mobile QB… but if you have a pocket passer QB, there's going to be trouble.

He did a terrible job developing our QB's as well.  TERRIBLE.
Posted On: Dec 15th 2021, 9:29 PM #405964

Hi Troy fan! Thanks for letting us know about Chip Lindsey. The sad part is that our offense is already exactly what you described. I have to imagine he literally cannot do much worse with playcalling here.
Back to the top

Welp, can't run up the middle the way our line works so, we don't really have to worry about that call.

I'm less worried about his time as HC and more interested in his previous stops as OC, which he'll be here. I don't know what that's like. I haven't googled it yet. It was a rough day…I quit my co-op (he's 84 and he gives us mostly "Chinese braising greens" which are, I don't even know, good enough for the chickens, at least…or a quiche with a lot of cheese).

I'm curious to see how the older MJ fits into this because, I wouldn't think he's done here. On offense, we were missing a RB and TE coach so, I don't know. Hines Ward, as, if I've got this right, as a blocking and bruising receiver, might be better suited for the types of TE we can get in CUSA…nope. Not gonna think it through.

But he, Chip again, did recruit Nix so… Maybe that's not an FAU get… But he's out there…

If I had more money, well no, I'd buy more rum. But if I had more-more money, I'd buy a lot of rum, and then buy all the coaches.

I think we had a pretty good day, all things considered. Good coverage, at least; here and with Shane.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

I'm less worried about his time as HC and more interested in his previous stops as OC, which he'll be here.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 1:43 AM #405968

The problem with that is Chip Lindsey has never been a full-on OC.

When he received his first OC job at Southern Miss from 2014-2015, he didn't call the plays.  Todd Monken did.  That's why USM had a fantastic offense, because of Monken (who is now Georgia's OC).

Lindsey then became OC at Arizona State for one season in 2016… ASU had the #24 offense in the nation that season… but Todd Graham had a hand in calling many of the plays, so Chip Lindsey was never the full-time playcaller.

Next he become OC at Auburn from 2017-2018… but he didn't call the plays at all at Auburn, Gus Malzahn did.  Lindsey was asked to leave after only two seasons.

He finally gets to Troy where he is HC, and he gets to call all the shots himself.

Here is Troy's total offense rankings during his tenure there:

2019: #79
2020: #70
2021: #108
Back to the top

Trojan Xiphos said

Art Vandelay said

I'm less worried about his time as HC and more interested in his previous stops as OC, which he'll be here.

When he received his first OC job at Southern Miss from 2014-2015, he didn't call the plays.  Todd Monken did.  That's why USM had a fantastic offense, because of Monken (who is now Georgia's OC).

Lindsey then became OC at Arizona State for one season in 2016… ASU had the #24 offense in the nation that season… but Todd Graham had a hand in calling many of the plays, so Chip Lindsey was never the full-time playcaller.

Next he become OC at Auburn from 2017-2018… but he didn't call the plays at all at Auburn, Gus Malzahn did.  Lindsey was asked to leave after only two seasons.

He finally gets to Troy where he is HC, and he gets to call all the shots himself.

Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 7:33 AM #405969

So the key to success is have him be QB coach and have our OC Michael Johnson call plays as he has already been doing from reports on here.
Back to the top

Trojan Xiphos said

Art Vandelay said

Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 7:33 AM #405969

This guy has no clue. He is trying to discount any success CL has had, which by is list is a lot. 

He called plays at Southern Miss 
He called plays at Arizona (Defensive head coach)
He called plays at Auburn ( that’s well documented)

#s at Troy are correct. Not great, 
maybe because it was is 1st HC job not sure. Good luck to FAU next year!

Back to the top

The Troy fans here are super interesting. Hopefully CL works out here, since watching our offense was basically like drinking room-temperature milk. Maybe WT is going to take more of a CEO approach and be involved in the offensive strategy, but give up play-calling.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

The Troy fans here are super interesting. Hopefully CL works out here, since watching our offense was basically like drinking room-temperature milk. Maybe WT is going to take more of a CEO approach and be involved in the offensive strategy, but give up play-calling.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 9:49 AM #405974

THAT IMHO would be good!
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 9:49 AM #405974

Haha!

Sometimes family feuds spill over onto other pages!

Good luck to guys next year!
Back to the top
Control functions: