Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

UPDATED: MTSU/Kansas OC Brent Dearmon to FAU as OC/QB Coach

I remember a time when Troy was our “Rival” I still have a “Destroy Troy” t-shirt somewhere from my student days. Oh how much has changed. Anyway, not a huge fan of this hire I hate co-anything in coaching it’s “too many chiefs not enough indians” ordeal most of the time. WT needs to get it together we should be playing tomorrow at noon and it’s his fault we’re not
Back to the top

not quite the reaction we were hoping for this hire. I am sure WT knows something we don't; however, the co-OC position is pretty much the same thing all over again, maybe it is good for when the other guy goes on PTO?
Back to the top

The co offensive coordinator can work well(see Clemson). I just question WT implementing it effectively 
Back to the top

Troystet said

Trojan Xiphos said

Art Vandelay said

I'm less worried about his time as HC and more interested in his previous stops as OC, which he'll be here.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 1:43 AM #405968

The problem with that is Chip Lindsey has never been a full-on OC.

When he received his first OC job at Southern Miss from 2014-2015, he didn't call the plays.  Todd Monken did.  That's why USM had a fantastic offense, because of Monken (who is now Georgia's OC).

Lindsey then became OC at Arizona State for one season in 2016… ASU had the #24 offense in the nation that season… but Todd Graham had a hand in calling many of the plays, so Chip Lindsey was never the full-time playcaller.

Next he become OC at Auburn from 2017-2018… but he didn't call the plays at all at Auburn, Gus Malzahn did.  Lindsey was asked to leave after only two seasons.

He finally gets to Troy where he is HC, and he gets to call all the shots himself.

Here is Troy's total offense rankings during his tenure there:

2019: #79
2020: #70
2021: #108
Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 7:33 AM #405969

This guy has no clue. He is trying to discount any success CL has had.

He called plays at Southern Miss 
He called plays at Arizona (Defensive head coach)
He called plays at Auburn ( that’s well documented)

Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 9:33 AM #405972

Chip Lindsey absolutely did not call the plays at USM.  Todd Monken was the architect of that offensive system.

Todd Graham has been on record dabbling in offensive playcalling at Arizona.  Yes, he's a defensive guy, but while he was at Tulsa, he started learning a lot about Gus Malzahn's offensive system, and he preferred his offense to look much the same at Arizona.  Graham very much had a hand in the calls being made.

At Auburn…… you can say what you want about that.  Yes, Gus Malzahn reportedly "gave up the clipboard" when Chip Lindsey became OC.. bit I find that hard to believe, especially with how the Auburn offense sputtered badly at the beginning of 2018.  IIRC, Gus Malzahn took over some playcalling duties halfway through the season.  It's also documented that right after Chip Lindsey departed Auburn for Kansas, His Malzahn said he made a mistake not calling the offense, and that he would take over playcalling duties again.
Back to the top

Trojan Xiphos said

Troystet said

Trojan Xiphos said

Art Vandelay said

I'm less worried about his time as HC and more interested in his previous stops as OC, which he'll be here.

When he received his first OC job at Southern Miss from 2014-2015, he didn't call the plays.  Todd Monken did.  That's why USM had a fantastic offense, because of Monken (who is now Georgia's OC).

Lindsey then became OC at Arizona State for one season in 2016… ASU had the #24 offense in the nation that season… but Todd Graham had a hand in calling many of the plays, so Chip Lindsey was never the full-time playcaller.

Next he become OC at Auburn from 2017-2018… but he didn't call the plays at all at Auburn, Gus Malzahn did.  Lindsey was asked to leave after only two seasons.

He finally gets to Troy where he is HC, and he gets to call all the shots himself.

Chip Lindsey absolutely did not call the plays at USM.  Todd Monken was the architect of that offensive system.

Todd Graham has been on record dabbling in offensive playcalling at Arizona.  Yes, he's a defensive guy, but while he was at Tulsa, he started learning a lot about Gus Malzahn's offensive system, and he preferred his offense to look much the same at Arizona.  Graham very much had a hand in the calls being made.

At Auburn…… you can say what you want about that.  Yes, Gus Malzahn reportedly "gave up the clipboard" when Chip Lindsey became OC.. bit I find that hard to believe, especially with how the Auburn offense sputtered badly at the beginning of 2018.  IIRC, Gus Malzahn took over some playcalling duties halfway through the season.  It's also documented that right after Chip Lindsey departed Auburn for Kansas, His Malzahn said he made a mistake not calling the offense, and that he would take over playcalling duties again.
Posted On: Dec 17th 2021, 6:50 AM #405986

I played football at Troy… on the National championship team, I know football and I know coaches! 
I know what goes on!

If you don’t believe me, look me up,,,,David Goebel class of 1990 # 73. I was part of the greatest OL  in Troy football history!
Back to the top

Troystet said

Trojan Xiphos said

Troystet said

Trojan Xiphos said

Art Vandelay said

I played football at Troy… on the National championship team, I know football and I know coaches! 
I know what goes on!

If you don’t believe me, look me up,,,,David Goebel class of 1990 # 73. I was part of the greatest OL  in Troy football history!
Posted On: Dec 17th 2021, 8:23 AM #405988

Wait, are you the President of David Goebel's Used Cars? Because that's the first think that comes up, and I may be in the market for a nice used car next year.
Back to the top

David Slavic said

Troystet said

Trojan Xiphos said

Troystet said

Trojan Xiphos said

Art Vandelay said

I know what goes on!

Posted On: Dec 17th 2021, 8:23 AM #405988

Wait, are you the President of David Goebel's Used Cars? Because that's the first think that comes up, and I may be in the market for a nice used car next year.
Posted On: Dec 17th 2021, 9:06 AM #405989

Come see me!
Back to the top

Did I miss this in the shuffle? What are, if we know, the new titles for the coaching staff? Are we short a RB or TE coach? And do we plan to hire what's missing or spread around responsibility to cover the cost??

Also… I'm glad Bain but, couldn't we have found a place for him?
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

Did I miss this in the shuffle? What are, if we know, the new titles for the coaching staff? Are we short a RB or TE coach? And do we plan to hire what's missing or spread around responsibility to cover the cost??

Also… I'm glad Bain but, couldn't we have found a place for him?
Posted On: Dec 22nd 2021, 5:36 PM #406057

Bain isn’t official at UM (AKA I haven’t seen anything from the credible UM media) but I guess they’re recruiting his brother. Mario is playing chess with Deep Blue. 

Online staff not updated with new hires and I haven’t seen anything official about the hires, including Lindsey. I’m still on the mailing list. FAU DID announce a new assistant AD though. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Well, I'm glad I didn't miss anything but, it's too early to be in slow summer news mode.

And I'd argue there's merit in bringing home former Owls turned coach (obviously, balancing their success and or potential as a coaching hire).
Back to the top
Control functions: