Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Hot seat

David Slavic said

Could you imagine the heart palpitations he would have after losing to WKU? He might just collapse on the field.
Posted On: Dec 16th 2021, 9:41 AM #405973

Lol, whatever pathetic way we’d lose to MTSU would be the nail in the coffin for that guy.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I think it is a little premature to be talking "hot seat" after not even completing two seasons as head coach. Team still has a winning record (hopefully can end the season with a winning record). It is not like the team has only one win, and it is not like FAU is a top name program akin to a Texas, LSU, Florida, etc. where the pressure to win is high from day one. Here is how this goes moving forward.

1) The season finishes with a winning record and expectations are high going into next season. Next season plays out, and with a better than .500 record and bowl game, Taggart stays to see year 4.

2) The season finishes with a winning record and the expectations are high going into next season. Next season plays out and the teams struggles. A losing record and things get evaluated with a possible change in order.

3) This season ends with a losing record and next season starts with a little heat and a need to win. Next season plays out and the team has a strong showing 7 wins and bowl appearance. Taggart stays to see year 4.

4) This season ends with a losing record and next season starts with a little heat and a need to win. Next season doesn't live up to expectations and a losing record in back to back seasons forces a change.

Based on the above, I see everything depending on next season. This year can end positively or negatively, but next season will be telling. A sub .500 season in 2022 and changes will be likely.

I also think the powers that be would like to see some coaching continuity. FAU cannot continue to move forward with constant changes in the HC position. This benefits Taggart as he will likely get a little more time to prove himself.

GO OWLS!!!

Posted On: Nov 11th 2021, 12:21 PM #404868
Here we are, one year later. Exact scenario I outlined. We are at this point going into this weekend. Must win to get to where this team needs to be and where Coach needs to be to keep his job. I am still firm that 7 wins for the season and he stays. I am wavering on if the 7 have to be regular season or with a bowl win included. I think either way, 7 wins will be necessary. 6-6 and making a bowl and losing won't be enough. 6-6 and making a bowl and winning to finish 7-5 might be just enough. 7-5 and losing a bowl to finish 7-6 will likely be enough. 7-5 and a bowl win to finish 8-5 with be plenty good.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I agree Owlfan1.  I'd imagine these would be the chances if I had to give % for WT to stay:

5-7 - 10%
6-7 (bowl loss) - 50%
7-6 (bowl win) - 65%
7-6 (bowl loss) - 70%   - I just imagine 7-5 regular season looks better than 6-6 and theyll excuse a bowl loss if its to better competition, more than they'd excuse 6-6 regular season
8-5 - 90%
Back to the top

BostonArman said

I agree Owlfan1.  I'd imagine these would be the chances if I had to give % for WT to stay:

5-7 - 10%
6-7 (bowl loss) - 50%
7-6 (bowl win) - 65%
7-6 (bowl loss) - 70%   - I just imagine 7-5 regular season looks better than 6-6 and theyll excuse a bowl loss if its to better competition, more than they'd excuse 6-6 regular season
8-5 - 90%

Posted On: Nov 18th 2022, 4:28 PM #410372

I agree. 7 wins and coach is safe. 6 wins and there will be some serious conversations and the possibility of a change, or a very stressful offseason and must wins the first two games to start 2023 (Monmouth and Ohio).

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

If they've already put out some feelers, they may make the change no matter what. Or if there's only two more years on his contract, and aren't we at a partial AAC share, for the time-being, maybe his staying for those two years is making-up the difference. I mean, I don't know.

The last one to two to three (to four?!) wins, I suspect, will impact how I feel about the team, more than it will our hiring a new coach.  But I've got a coin here I could flip.
Back to the top

What's everyone going to talk about when he's here next season?

As it is, no one talks about anything else.

Win = GHOST TOWN.

So…
Back to the top

Probably 20th Street?
Back to the top

Mac Flat Foot said

Probably 20th Street?
Posted On: Nov 19th 2022, 1:36 PM #410382

it is very popular, even to this day, almost 30K views…

Notes from the University District Visioning Summit Report (20th Street Update) - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

If you think hard, Taggart isn’t the worst option.  Look at how Jeff Scott performed. 4-26 before USF canned him.  I think Taggart needs a very good QB and Shadeur  Sanders was that player. 

Now just think MTSU is our kryptonite it’s just like Marshall and Troy was in the past. We have only won in MTSU twice and haven’t done so in 18 years. If we become bowl eligible and win he is safe.  We could easily be 8-2 right now.  I think this coaching cycle does not have any amazing sexy hires that we have a shot at anyway.

If Taggart does transition us we need to hit the portal hard and find some diamond in a rough player and I think we will be able to compete.
Back to the top

I mean, the class he's working on now doesn't look too bad. With maybe a healthy MJJ Though I've never seen him in his modern era)? Regarding the other thing, I've got a Destroy Troy shirt I've been using to wash my car for nigh on twenty years.
Back to the top
Control functions: