Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FSU vs FAU & Taggarts Success

SeminOwl28 said

Sorry but FSU is way better than FAU and UCF  in academics.  It isn't close.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2022, 12:20 AM #406394

LOL!
seriously? both are state schools with the same programs and same curriculums. One happens to have an advantage because it has been around for 171 years, that's all.

Now, going back to Willie Taggart, I don't think his record is good.
2010 WKU / 2W - 10L
2011 WKU / 7W - 5 L
2012 WKU / 7W - 5 L
2013 USF / 2W - 10L
2014 USF / 4W - 8L
2015 USF / 8W - 5L
2016 USF / 10W - 2L
2017 ORE / 7W - 5L
2018 FSU / 5W - 7L
2019 FSU / 4W - 5L
2020 FAU / 9W - 5L
2021 FAU / 5W - 7L

Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

SeminOwl28 said

LOL!
seriously? both are state schools with the same programs and same curriculums. One happens to have an advantage because it has been around for 171 years, that's all.

2010 WKU / 2W - 10L
2011 WKU / 7W - 5 L
2012 WKU / 7W - 5 L
2013 USF / 2W - 10L
2014 USF / 4W - 8L
2015 USF / 8W - 5L
2016 USF / 10W - 2L
2017 ORE / 7W - 5L
2018 FSU / 5W - 7L
2019 FSU / 4W - 5L
2020 FAU / 9W - 5L
2021 FAU / 5W - 7L

Posted On: Jan 23rd 2022, 3:09 PM #406397

Before he got to wku and USF they were in way worse shape. He left them with the cupboard full and really good.

Judging by the above, his third and fourth year at a school are his best.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Yea I don’t know an FSU grad who is faring any better than any FAU grad and I know quite a few from both. A degree is a degree when comes to these State Schools. Back to Taggart, he’s in a lame duck year and everyone knows it. We need Kendal Briles in here
Back to the top

Or Graham Harrell or Jeff Lebby or Tee Martin; but yea, Kendal Briles. And a cool million in base salary would grab any one of those, I'd bet. The rub is the pool salary.
Back to the top

Yes and, in a few years with all this AAC having rolled in we can easily afford to pay a coach $1.5M- $1.7M but we need to make a move before Willie does more damage. He got lucky at USF. Was about to get canned just before Flowers stepped onto the scene and saved him. Oregon not a fair assessment as he was only there for a year. I agree FSU was a mess when he walked in and probably was set up for him to fail but there definitely some games there he should have won that he didn’t due to coaching.
Back to the top

NITE-OWL said

SeminOwl28 said

LOL!

2010 WKU / 2W - 10L
2011 WKU / 7W - 5 L
2012 WKU / 7W - 5 L
2013 USF / 2W - 10L
2014 USF / 4W - 8L
2015 USF / 8W - 5L
2016 USF / 10W - 2L
2017 ORE / 7W - 5L
2018 FSU / 5W - 7L
2019 FSU / 4W - 5L
2020 FAU / 9W - 5L
2021 FAU / 5W - 7L

Posted On: Jan 23rd 2022, 3:09 PM #406397

Just being an in state school doesn't mean they are all on the same level. But if you guys believe that, it defeats the point of Florida being a better school than fsu academically too.  Can't have it both ways

In reality , FSU is closer to Florida than FAU is to FSU.

As for your 2nd point, that's what I've been saying.   The flowers year at USF was the outlier.   The rebuilder of programs stuff with Willie is a myth.  Going 6-6 or 7-5 at s non power 5 is mediocrity and nothing special

Also we went 5-4 in 2020.  Not sure how you got 9-5
Back to the top

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

David Slavic said

LawOwl said

I really hate to be so negative but is it just me or do you guys feel the football program taking a massive step back? From last year’s poor ending to the season to now getting beat out on recruits and assistant coaches. Feels like all Taggart knows how to do is lose and I wish we’d just rip the band aid off already and fire this clown
Posted On: Jan 20th 2022, 6:01 AM #406302
Definitely feels like a lot of our key pieces for next year that we were trying supplement are headed out. I'll be interested to see if we have a near entirely new set of starters this coming season.
Posted On: Jan 20th 2022, 9:06 AM #406303
Literally one contributor from last year has transferred: Matt Hayball. Compared to most other teams, both good and bad squads, that is not much. Lots of other teams have lost key contributors on both sides of the ball unexpectedly. We have added talent and not lost much.

The coordinators appear to be an upgrade as well. Dearmon was successful with minimal resources (not much talent and tough to recruit to Murfreesboro). Orlando has a long past, which includes some very good defenses.

Willie has been far more successful than he’s been unsuccessful.

And i will leave you all with this: if we fire Willie, who do you think we are getting? Who exactly is walking through that door for less than $1 million?
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 9:54 AM #406336
In what realm has Willie been more successful than unsuccessful?   He's failed everywhere he's been including here.  He took us from conference champions to chumps in record time

MT with that less talent killed us with a bowl berth on the line at home.  Says a lot
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 10:22 AM #406337
in the realm we call reality. Wku. USF. Oregon. He’s only been unsuccessful in one place: the place where he was set up for failure, fsu. He was given less than two seasons and fired when his successor has done the same if not worse and got extended. Still boggles my mind that any student or fan would support that university over uf, um, fau, and ucf. It has zero redeeming qualities over the aforementioned universities.
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 10:47 AM #406338

Yeah I don't buy that for a second.  He has a career losing record and it would be worse if flowers didnt save his butt at USF.  The guy has the intelligence of a brick and his teams show that with lack of discipline, fundamentals etc

Should probably research Florida and Miami if you think they are saints.  You sound like a gator fan
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 1:20 PM #406339

Schnellenberger had a lost a ton of games too. He, like Taggart, had a reputation for taking over dying/dead programs and turning them around. That is what Taggart did at wku and USF. It’s just the truth.

As for Miami and Florida being “saints”: I am not saying anything about them following the rules. Rather, fsu does not do anything better than the aforementioned Florida schools. There is just no reason to attend or root for them.

The team is incredibly young here and Willie has done a good job of filling our holes (OL, ILB, blitzing LB) in the portal. This is his make it or break it year. Everyone agrees on that.

Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 5:27 PM #406346

Think you are delusional on taggart and how he has produced.   He's nothing like Howard.   He's a terrible head coach

Also delusional on FSU.  Great athletic program overall.  Better school than FAU ucf and others too. Just being honest

Seem like a cane or gator fan with the statement that they have zero to offer and nothing redeemable.   Or else your logic applied to the gator and hurricanes as well
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 5:30 PM #406348

You provide no facts to refute Willie as a program builder of wku and USF. He also left Oregon in a much better situation than he found it. Just simply refuting it. I was not a fan of Willie from the beginning - but i can see was dealt a shorthand at fsu and here as well.

Uf is the best school in the state. Miami is the only school in Florida in a large metropolis with a ton of pull. FAU is in the most desirable location in the country right now with an absolutely gorgeous campus and fast rising academic standing. Ucf is also in one of the fastest growing locations with a team that according to to the ncaa record book just won a national championship in 2017. Can you name one thing that fsu does better than other Florida schools (academically and/or athletically)?
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2022, 11:48 PM #406391

Check out the overall athletic program at FSU.  Best basketball (9 straight over Miami/7 straight over uf til this year )  Best women's sports.  Last to win a football title too by the way.   Even with football and bball and baseball not at their best , they swept Miami in those 3 sports in the last year

Gaining on Florida and I'd say 2nd best of these schools in academics. Campus is beautiful.  You probably haven't even been on their campus

So are you a gator or canes fan besides FAU?  Because your blind hatred for FSU is evident

Also ucf didn't win a championship.  That's a mythical title.  
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2022, 12:01 AM #406392

Uf has more recent national championships in basketball. ucf won a natty in 2017 - ncaa record book says as much.

Campus is probably fifth and in terms of academics third maybe fourth. Even though literally none of that matters.

I went to other schools besides FAU but I only root for FAU. I just see no value in going to fsu over any of the other schools.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2022, 12:12 AM #406393

UCF didn't win the national title.  You lose all credibility when you say that.  It's not shown in the ncaa books either.  Here is the site

FBS Football Championship History | NCAA.com

FSU has the last football title in the state

Yes Florida won the national title in basketball 15 years ago for the last time.  FSU has been better the past decade.  Ignoring winning 7 of the last 8 is hilarious.  

Sorry but FSU is way better than FAU and UCF  in academics.  It isn't close.  They are actually gaining on Florida if you knew anything.  You are talking out your butt here.

Give me a break on campus. Again you haven't been there clearly.  FAU plays in a high school gym for bball.  The baseball is bad too for facilities.   Got a lot of work to do to match FSU facilities and campus.  Get real

I will take your points in turn:
- UCF was awarded a national title from the NCAA per the NCAA record book (screenshot in this article: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-ucf-ncaa-record-book-national-champs-20180825-story.html).
- no one really cares about basketball or baseball. As for basketball, the success between uf, Miami, and fsu the past decade has been pretty much equal.

- Best I could find on a minimal search: https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/best-schools-by-state/bachelors/florida. You will notice the starting salary of graduates of fsu, ucf, and FAU is pretty much the same. A small difference of $2 thousand. You can go by the silly academic rankings if you want, but the salary outputs is what matters for students. Now, seriously answer this question: would you rather live in Tallahassee, Orlando, or Boca Raton? Employers do not differentiate between an fsu grad and a ucf/FAU grad. I would not send my child to Tallahassee for college.

- Campus. It is pretty much Alabama. If you want to go to a Florida school, fsu ain’t it. Ucf and FAU blow it out of the water based on campus and location. Students, and employers, are quickly realizing this.

The only people who blindly defend fsu are fsu grads and fsu fans.

If I were a recruit coming out of high school or in the transfer portal, ucf and FAU would be at the top of my list: both great schools that are easy to get a job in the local markets and make connections. Also both great places to make a name for yourself and go to the NFL (hence all the players in the playoffs now from both schools).

@Art we brought in a bunch of gray shirts to play wideout. Couple that with Edrine and Stewart and I think we *should* be fine there. Agreed on taking best talent with most eligibility.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2022, 10:04 AM #406396

Serious question.   Have you ever set foot on the Florida State campus ? I highly doubt you have been there.  

If you haven't you can't comment on the facilities and campus overall.  Probably why you ignored the comparison with the basketball arena and baseball fields with Fau.  Love both of the schools but it's two different tiers for facilities and athletics

Same way you brushed off fsu basketball success as the same as uf and Miami the past decade when it isn't.  

As for it's pretty much Alabama , well Gainesville and Orlando aren't South Florida either.  And are cowtowns. One just has Disney.   But I can say Cincy is Kentucky, Pittsburgh is west Virginia etc.   Anyone can do that.  Doesn't take much thought

You clearly are trying to hate on fsu without knowing anything about the school or campus.   I still think you are a cane or gator fan, but at the very least you are ignorant.  

And you trying to argue UCF as the last to win a footbsll title drives that point home.   An obscure poll isn't how titles are decided now.   We are on the third system of deciding it on the field now
Back to the top

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

David Slavic said

LawOwl said

I really hate to be so negative but is it just me or do you guys feel the football program taking a massive step back? From last year’s poor ending to the season to now getting beat out on recruits and assistant coaches. Feels like all Taggart knows how to do is lose and I wish we’d just rip the band aid off already and fire this clown
Definitely feels like a lot of our key pieces for next year that we were trying supplement are headed out. I'll be interested to see if we have a near entirely new set of starters this coming season.
Literally one contributor from last year has transferred: Matt Hayball. Compared to most other teams, both good and bad squads, that is not much. Lots of other teams have lost key contributors on both sides of the ball unexpectedly. We have added talent and not lost much.

The coordinators appear to be an upgrade as well. Dearmon was successful with minimal resources (not much talent and tough to recruit to Murfreesboro). Orlando has a long past, which includes some very good defenses.

And i will leave you all with this: if we fire Willie, who do you think we are getting? Who exactly is walking through that door for less than $1 million?
In what realm has Willie been more successful than unsuccessful?   He's failed everywhere he's been including here.  He took us from conference champions to chumps in record time

MT with that less talent killed us with a bowl berth on the line at home.  Says a lot
in the realm we call reality. Wku. USF. Oregon. He’s only been unsuccessful in one place: the place where he was set up for failure, fsu. He was given less than two seasons and fired when his successor has done the same if not worse and got extended. Still boggles my mind that any student or fan would support that university over uf, um, fau, and ucf. It has zero redeeming qualities over the aforementioned universities.

Yeah I don't buy that for a second.  He has a career losing record and it would be worse if flowers didnt save his butt at USF.  The guy has the intelligence of a brick and his teams show that with lack of discipline, fundamentals etc

Should probably research Florida and Miami if you think they are saints.  You sound like a gator fan

Schnellenberger had a lost a ton of games too. He, like Taggart, had a reputation for taking over dying/dead programs and turning them around. That is what Taggart did at wku and USF. It’s just the truth.

As for Miami and Florida being “saints”: I am not saying anything about them following the rules. Rather, fsu does not do anything better than the aforementioned Florida schools. There is just no reason to attend or root for them.

The team is incredibly young here and Willie has done a good job of filling our holes (OL, ILB, blitzing LB) in the portal. This is his make it or break it year. Everyone agrees on that.

Think you are delusional on taggart and how he has produced.   He's nothing like Howard.   He's a terrible head coach

Also delusional on FSU.  Great athletic program overall.  Better school than FAU ucf and others too. Just being honest

Seem like a cane or gator fan with the statement that they have zero to offer and nothing redeemable.   Or else your logic applied to the gator and hurricanes as well

You provide no facts to refute Willie as a program builder of wku and USF. He also left Oregon in a much better situation than he found it. Just simply refuting it. I was not a fan of Willie from the beginning - but i can see was dealt a shorthand at fsu and here as well.

Uf is the best school in the state. Miami is the only school in Florida in a large metropolis with a ton of pull. FAU is in the most desirable location in the country right now with an absolutely gorgeous campus and fast rising academic standing. Ucf is also in one of the fastest growing locations with a team that according to to the ncaa record book just won a national championship in 2017. Can you name one thing that fsu does better than other Florida schools (academically and/or athletically)?

Check out the overall athletic program at FSU.  Best basketball (9 straight over Miami/7 straight over uf til this year )  Best women's sports.  Last to win a football title too by the way.   Even with football and bball and baseball not at their best , they swept Miami in those 3 sports in the last year

Gaining on Florida and I'd say 2nd best of these schools in academics. Campus is beautiful.  You probably haven't even been on their campus

So are you a gator or canes fan besides FAU?  Because your blind hatred for FSU is evident

Uf has more recent national championships in basketball. ucf won a natty in 2017 - ncaa record book says as much.

Campus is probably fifth and in terms of academics third maybe fourth. Even though literally none of that matters.

I went to other schools besides FAU but I only root for FAU. I just see no value in going to fsu over any of the other schools.

UCF didn't win the national title.  You lose all credibility when you say that.  It's not shown in the ncaa books either.  Here is the site

Yes Florida won the national title in basketball 15 years ago for the last time.  FSU has been better the past decade.  Ignoring winning 7 of the last 8 is hilarious.  

Sorry but FSU is way better than FAU and UCF  in academics.  It isn't close.  They are actually gaining on Florida if you knew anything.  You are talking out your butt here.

Give me a break on campus. Again you haven't been there clearly.  FAU plays in a high school gym for bball.  The baseball is bad too for facilities.   Got a lot of work to do to match FSU facilities and campus.  Get real

- UCF was awarded a national title from the NCAA per the NCAA record book (screenshot in this article: https://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/os-sp-ucf-ncaa-record-book-national-champs-20180825-story.html).
- no one really cares about basketball or baseball. As for basketball, the success between uf, Miami, and fsu the past decade has been pretty much equal.

- Best I could find on a minimal search: https://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report/best-schools-by-state/bachelors/florida. You will notice the starting salary of graduates of fsu, ucf, and FAU is pretty much the same. A small difference of $2 thousand. You can go by the silly academic rankings if you want, but the salary outputs is what matters for students. Now, seriously answer this question: would you rather live in Tallahassee, Orlando, or Boca Raton? Employers do not differentiate between an fsu grad and a ucf/FAU grad. I would not send my child to Tallahassee for college.

- Campus. It is pretty much Alabama. If you want to go to a Florida school, fsu ain’t it. Ucf and FAU blow it out of the water based on campus and location. Students, and employers, are quickly realizing this.

If I were a recruit coming out of high school or in the transfer portal, ucf and FAU would be at the top of my list: both great schools that are easy to get a job in the local markets and make connections. Also both great places to make a name for yourself and go to the NFL (hence all the players in the playoffs now from both schools).

@Art we brought in a bunch of gray shirts to play wideout. Couple that with Edrine and Stewart and I think we *should* be fine there. Agreed on taking best talent with most eligibility.

Serious question.   Have you ever set foot on the Florida State campus ? I highly doubt you have been there.  

If you haven't you can't comment on the facilities and campus overall.  Probably why you ignored the comparison with the basketball arena and baseball fields with Fau.  Love both of the schools but it's two different tiers for facilities and athletics

Same way you brushed off fsu basketball success as the same as uf and Miami the past decade when it isn't.  

As for it's pretty much Alabama , well Gainesville and Orlando aren't South Florida either.  And are cowtowns. One just has Disney.   But I can say Cincy is Kentucky, Pittsburgh is west Virginia etc.   Anyone can do that.  Doesn't take much thought

You clearly are trying to hate on fsu without knowing anything about the school or campus.   I still think you are a cane or gator fan, but at the very least you are ignorant.  

And you trying to argue UCF as the last to win a footbsll title drives that point home.   An obscure poll isn't how titles are decided now.   We are on the third system of deciding it on the field now
Posted On: Jan 24th 2022, 7:36 AM #406410

I will reiterate: fsu does not have anything over ucf, uf, fau, and Miami. It does not do one thing better than those schools. It functions as UF’s backup. It is pretty much Alabama…. The other comparisons make no sense you made, but, taken as true, they backup my assertions.

I brushed off basketball because no one really cares. The campus is clearly behind all of the other schools. I would be very disappointed if my child wanted to go there.

I solely root for the Owls. I cannot imagine wanting to live in Tallahassee for four years over Boca Raton when the income outcomes are virtually identical, a key fact and pretty much the sole reason for going to college that you entirely ignored.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

SeminOwl28 said

NJOWL said

David Slavic said

LawOwl said

Posted On: Jan 24th 2022, 7:36 AM #406410

I will reiterate: fsu does not have anything over ucf, uf, fau, and Miami. It does not do one thing better than those schools. It functions as UF’s backup. It is pretty much Alabama…. The other comparisons make no sense you made, but, taken as true, they backup my assertions.

I brushed off basketball because no one really cares. The campus is clearly behind all of the other schools. I would be very disappointed if my child wanted to go there.

I solely root for the Owls. I cannot imagine wanting to live in Tallahassee for four years over Boca Raton when the income outcomes are virtually identical, a key fact and pretty much the sole reason for going to college that you entirely ignored.

Posted On: Jan 24th 2022, 8:17 AM #406411

So you've clearly never be there and are just hating on FSU.  Got it .  Think what you want. It's your opinion but it really isn't warranted by any factual points

I'd never live in NYC or new Jersey and have been there many of times.  But that doesn't mean I won't see good points with them.  
Back to the top

Lol this is the most entertaining argument to log in and see first thing on Monday morning.

Not that it matters, but here's my .02:

I've been on campus at UF, FSU, and UM. Honestly, the FSU campus is gorgeous. I went to grad school at Alabama, and FSU is honestly way nicer. Just a suckier program than the Tide, and that'll never change.

Doak Campbell is the nicest stadium I've ever been in. And if I were a recruit I would absolutely pick that campus and stadium over FAU. That's just the reality of a school that's been around since the mid to late 1800s versus one founded in the 60s.

But FAU has so much more potential as a rising mid-major program. FSU has a lot of work to do to become the hot program in the state, especially with the U hiring Cristobal, UF getting Napier, and UCF staying relatively hot and have Gus Malzahn, who won a natty at Aubarn. FAU has probably the second best location after Miami, because you really just can't compete with Miami and South Beach.

Regarding the coaches, we need to get through next year with Taggart, then hire Briles as the HC, and build from there. I think Briles is really the best option, and I don't see Lebby leaving OU, or any of the other coaches mentioned preciously leaving their jobs at nationally known programs. It's almost impossible to maintain success at Arkansas, and Sam Pittman is going to have a heck of a time keeping up with the success of this year, which was aided by all the players that stayed for another year due to Covid.
Back to the top
Control functions: