Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME WEEK CAPSULE: FAU vs. UTEP & UTSA - January 27 & 29, 2022

Add topic

FAU Takes Division's Top Spot to Lone Star State

What: Florida Atlantic (11-8, 4-2) vs. UTEP (11-8, 4-3), UTSA (7-13, 0-7)

When: Thurs, Jan 27th, @ 9:00 PM
            Sat, Jan 29th, @ 2:00 PM

Where: Don Haskins Center, El Paso, Texas
             Convocation Center Center, San Antonio, Texas

Series: The Owls and Miners sit even at 5-5, while FAU holds a 7-6 edge over the Roadrunners.

TV: CUSA.tv

Radio: FoxSports 640

Live Stats: Here

UTEP Team Site: Here

UTEP at a Glance

Offense - 68.4 PPG, 41% FG, 34% 3PT

Defense - 64.6 PPGA, 43% FGA, 32% 3PTA

Rebounding - 33.3 RPG Miners, 36.7 RPG Opponents

Miner Notables

UTEP returns to El Paso as one of the hottest teams in the league. Winners of three-straight and four out of their last five, the Miners hope to climb their way to the top of a talented C-USA West division.

Last time out, the Miners stymied rival UTSA's offense attack en route to a 59-54 road victory. Point man Jamal Bieniemy led the way with 16 points and 11 rebounds for his first double-double of the season. The Oklahoma transfer has the second highest points average on the club with 14.3 PPG.

UTEP often look to scoring leader Souley Boum for offensive production. The former University of San Francisco guard has scored in the double-digits in all but one game this season, a 12-point loss to a possible at-large bid claiming Louisiana Tech. His 18.6 PPG is third in Conference USA.

As a ballclub, the Miners stand-out as defensive minded team. UTEP is third in C-USA and 50th in the nation with 15.7 turnovers forced per game. Their 7.8 steals per game is good for fourth in the league and 77th nationally.

The cherry on top of UTEP's turnover hungry defense is their ability to prevent the same mistakes they force. This allows the Miners to have the second best turnover ration in the conference at +3.79.

One glaring weakness with the Miners is their rebounding ability. UTEP ranks 11th in the conference in both offensive and defensive rebounding percentage.

UTSA Team Site: Here

UTSA at a Glance

Offense - 66.7 PPG, 38% FG, 28% 3PT

Defense - 71.0 PPGA, 45% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding -  40.3 RPG Roadrunners, 37.9 RPG Opponents

Roadrunner Notables

Gone are the days of the Roadrunners' famously high-octane offense where players like Jhivvan Jackson and Keaton Wallace would wreck havoc on C-USA defenses.

Now, the 'Runners have one of the worst offenses in the conference as UTSA has dropped seven straight in-conference games and nine straight against D1 opponents.

UTSA's 66.7 PPG sits 12th in the conference while their 38& field goal percentage his hit rock-bottom. The Roadrunners are the only C-USA program shooting less than 40% FG.

Alas it is not all doom-and-gloom for UTSA. Their last two losses were just by a pair of possessions. The first half from their second most recent contest saw the 'Runners best half of action, shooting 63% and having an 11-point ledge over rival UTEP going into halftime.

The Roadrunners are led in scoring by sophomore guard Jordan Ivy-Curry, who has missed four straight games due to COVID-19 protocols. Ivy-Curry has 15.1 PPG. Meanwhile, Junior center Jacob Germany averages 13.7 PPG and leads the team with 6.6 rebounds per game.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 75.2 PPG, 46% FG, 36% 3PT

Defense - 68.1 PPGA, 44% FGA, 37% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.1 RPG Owls, 31.9 RPG Opponents

Owl Notables

It is good times in Paradise as the Owls sit atop Conference-USA's East division. In fact, the Owls have never had a better record at this point in the conference schedule since joining C-USA. The last time FAU was 4-2 in conference play was in 2013, the Owls' last year in the Sun Belt Conference and the second to last year of the Mike Jarvis era.

"We want to play at a championship level and compete for championships," said FAU Head Coach Dusty May following his team's hot start to conference play.

Winners of three straight, FAU comes off the back of a resounding 71-60 victory over the struggling Herd from Marshall. Guard Alijah Martin lead the Owls in scoring and rebounding on the night with 14 points and 7 boards. Moreover, his two steals was equaled fellow guard Michael Forrest's pair of takeaways.

Speaking of Forrest, the guard from Lauderhill still paces the ballclub with 14.1 PPG and 2.7 3FG a game. Although Martin's high-flying output puts the guard from Mississippi close behind at 13.7 PPG. Martin has scored double-digits in every game since early December. The impressive youngster also leads the team in rebounds at 5.7 per game.

Latest Lines: UTEP FAU +1.5
                      UTSA TBA

Additional Links:

2021-2022 FAU Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest

GALLERY: FAU Arena Concepts from 2021 Men's and Women's Basketball

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Getting set for a massive tilt in El Paso. Hope some of you are staying up to experience Late Night with the Owl’s Nest!

Back to the top

No changes to the starting five. If it’s not broke, don’t fix it!

Back to the top

VERY physical game from the off. Vladi and UTEP's center had to be pull apart after a playing a game of Twister while scrambling for a loose ball!

Owls are down thanks to UTEP 75% shooting from the field.

Back to the top

WOW! Owls lead at the half thanks to some SERIOUS effort on both sides of the ball.

Back to the top

Here's the individual statbook for FAU.

Goldy having himself a great day down low, he has 9 points.

Martin plays so big for a player of his height. His six rebounds is a game-high.

Back to the top

Four turnovers in a minute in a half allows UTEP to regain the lead. How frustrating!!

Back to the top

Goldin is going to smash his season-high of 18 points at this rate! Ten minutes left and he's sitting at 17!

Owls are playing well, but UTEP's 66% from the arc is killer!

Back to the top

What a game this is! Back-and-forth for some constant action!

Back to the top

Winny gives FAU the lead for the first time since a minute after halftime!

TIME TO CLOSE THIS OUT BOYS!!

Back to the top
Control functions: