Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

2022 FAU Spring Football

Here's the 2022 FAU Football Spring Schedule, with sessions more open this year for media, but still closed to the public.

Tuesday, March 15

Wednesday, March 16

Friday, March 18

Saturday, March 19 (closed)

Monday, March 21

Wednesday, March 23

Friday, March 25

Saturday, March 26 (closed)

Monday, March 28

Wednesday, March 30

Friday, April 1

Saturday, April 2 (closed)

Monday, April 4

Wednesday, April 6

Saturday, April 9 - Spring Game

Back to the top

Looks like some substantial effort being put into recruiting by the Staff, as the Owls are expecting 70+ HS attendees for tomorrow:

Back to the top

FAU returned to the field today for the first of 15 sessions for Spring 2022. It was business as usual, but also displayed plentiful enthusiasm, and emotions running high amongst all of the staff, and players.

Of note, lead returning RB Johnny Ford was not present, and is currently not expected to participate. His status for the fall is also in question. Will continue to update as information becomes available.

Head Coach Willie Taggart on the first day of Spring Practice

"Our guys have been working the whole off season, and now it is time to go out on the football field and see if we can execute the things that we have been teaching and working on this off-season. Our guys are excited to get back out there. We [staff] are excited to get back out there. We have some new coaches and some new players, so that is always fun to get out there and see what guys can do."

On N'Kosi Perry emerging as a leader

"I've been really impressed with him (Perry, photo above) this off season, just watching how he's worked. He's been totally different from last year. I see him in the office every singe day, and he's not just up there by himself he's bringing, one or two different receivers with him. That's a good sign for us, showing his maturity, being a leader and bringing guys along with him."

What do you want to accomplish or get better at?

"I want to be consistent, that is one thing we have talked about. Also, finishing everything that we do. We have focused a lot on that. Our guys have done a good job so far this off season."

You were young last year, but are you looking for some of the younger guys to emerge and challenge for spots and create competition?

"I think that is the beauty of it all, recruiting and getting guys in here in January. You get them here in the spring and allow the guys to compete. They get a chance to get in the weight room and get a little stronger and faster. We want to make it highly competitive. We don't want anyone to feel comfortable. It has to be competitive every single day. Guys want to play, and this is an opportunity to go out and compete, make plays, and earn the right to play."

The Owls will be back on the field tomorrow morning for their second session, and will again participate in helmets only in accordance with the acclimation period guidelines.
Back to the top

Ford was most of our offense last year, so hope he can make it back. Good to hear about Perry, hopefully it translates
Back to the top

owlmart said

Ford was most of our offense last year, so hope he can make it back. Good to hear about Perry, hopefully it translates
Posted On: Mar 15th 2022, 9:48 PM #407057

We’re in trouble if Ford can’t make it back. We need him
Back to the top

Yikes
Back to the top

So, I am going to go out on a very short limb here and say that we have a very good coaching staff.

Know it's early, etc, etc but after doing this thing for a while you start to observe patterns, qualities, etc.

When a coach says that we will keep it simple and run and hit, this has always equaled a good FAU defense.

"You have to find the (communication) people that are going to be your go to guys, like Teja Young and Ahman Ross."

"Fast and physical, run and hit…we're in attack mode all the time…cut 'em loose and let 'em go."

- New FAU DC Todd Orlando on the Owls' 2022 system
Back to the top

Then there is not putting a round peg into a square hole and trying to make your players fit the system, but building the system to fit the strengths of the players. Also see Lane Kiffin for example of successful Owls' squads AND, be refreshed by this:

"It is paradise down here…Coach Taggart has put together one of the best staffs I've been around. We've got a talented room…We'll use the offense to fit what they are…fit our system around those guys."

- New FAU OC Brent Dearmon on joining the Owls and the 2022 system approach.
Back to the top

I hope you are right Rick. All the turnover had me worried, but it sounds like you like the moves that were made
Back to the top

Just got word that FAU is expecting 250 in attendance for tomorrow's Junior Day. If that number holds, will be, by far, the most attended event of that type ever.
Back to the top
Control functions: