Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

FIU Do we really want to continue the "rivalry"

I’d like to see us develop a more important rivalry with USF. Until that happens, I guess keep winning Shula Bowls?
Back to the top

LawOwl said

I’d like to see us develop a more important rivalry with USF. Until that happens, I guess keep winning Shula Bowls?
Posted On: Aug 4th 2022, 2:14 PM #407616

Well we ARE in same Conference as USF now and they lost their rival in UCF so should be a natural!!!
Back to the top

I would like it to continue just for the sake of tradition. Both schools have similar histories with football and there are lots of threads that connect FAU and FIU. I do not however see it as a feasible game every year. Perhaps every other year.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

So many of our guys and their guys; their brothers and sisters and cousins and friends; they all went to grade school together and camps and dance socials…soda shops.

A cross-town rival is not some cheap thing.

USF will readily become our new in-conference rival. I'm not worried about that. My first game was the USF game. I bet a lot of the fandom on this site have that game in some pivotal remember-when-scenario.

And for the same soap box derby; bake sale drives; that make extra-double-plus-west Miami such a bold mark on the calendar; players and coaches and fans will get on-board with games against more-than-east Tampa. Probably right-quick.

Both would be better (and there's still Miami and UCF and UF and FSU…).
Back to the top

With UCF moving on to the Big 12, I think it’s safe to say that we will claim the spot of best G5 team in FL. FIU will remain the worst. Do we really want to play them? I’d rather replace that non conference game for a series with a lower end P5 school. The every other year thing could work, but being tied to the hip to FIU (which many people nationally still confuse our name with) isn’t the convenient circumstance it used to be.
Back to the top
Control functions: