Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU vs UCF - September 17, 2022

Add topic

Biggest Home Contest of 2022 On Tap for the Owls

The Matchup: UCF (1-1, 0-0 AAC) @ Florida Atlantic (2-1, 1-0 C-USA)

When: Saturday, September 17th, 7:30 PM

Where: Howard Schnellenberger Field at FAU Stadium

TV: CBSSN

Stream: CBSSN

Radio: Radio: FoxSports 640

Opening Line: FAU +10.5

Weather: Current conditions in Boca Raton, FL

The Series: UCF owns a 3-0 mark against FAU

Knights Team Site: Here

Key Stats Comparison:

Owl Notes

Through three games now, the offense is humming along at 41 points per game. The last time that happened was in 2019 but it didn't occur until the span of games three, four, and five of the season.

N'Kosi Perry followed a five touchdown performance last weekend at Ohio with a fairly accurate 18-of-30 effort for 259 total yards and three touchdowns. Senior slot LaJohntay Wester (photo below) netted 140 of those yards and two of the touchdowns after connecting with Perry eight times on the evening.

Perry is currently ranked 2nd nationally in total yards with 879 behind North Carolina's Drake May who has 930 to his credit. Running Back Larry McCammon is ranked fourth in rushing yards with 303 yards. As a team, the Owls are 9th nationally in offense with 525 yards per game.

On paper the Knights enjoy defensive edges in most defensive categories, so this game will be a true litmus test to see if these numbers can be maintained.

Eddie Williams (27), Jayden Williams (19), and Jaleel Mcrae (14) remain the Owls' leaders along the second line. E. Williams had just 44 total tackles all season for 2021 while J. Williams has already surpassed his 2021 total of 11.

They will need to all continue bringing their "A Game" as in the three game series dating all the way back to 2003, Central Florida has been productive on offense while registering an average of just under 46 points per game against FAU.

Knights Notes

Like the Owls, the Knights have been dealing with some key injuries. And despite a set back to Louisville at home under the Friday night lights, they still have an impressive defensive offering and will present some challenges for FAU to overcome.

Leading offensive weapon and signal caller John Rhys Plumlee has been a consistent ground threat through two games posting 5.5 yards per carry, but his arm has not been as reliable. He was effective against South Carolina State (64.5%) in a season opening 56-10 win but struggled against the Cardinals (47%).

This follows suit with his career trends, having left Ole Miss when asked to convert to wide receiver due to consistency before landing at UCF under Gus Malzahn through the portal. Nonetheless, it will be interesting to see how he performs against the Owls' secondary.

Leading the rushing attack behind Plumlee is Isaiah Bowser, who has 138 total yards through two games off of 37 carries. And Plumlee's favorite target has been Javon Baker. Originally an Alabama commit and four star prospect, Baker briefly pledged to Kentucky before having a change of heart and hitching his post to Malzahn's offense.

The trio of Plumlee, Bowser, and Baker account for seven of the Knight's 10 total touchdowns. Defensively linebackers Jason Johnson (14), Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste (12), and Walter Yates (11) own 32% of the team's total tackles.

Back to the top

UCF Coach Gus Malzahn's Presser via Brandon Helwig with @UCFSports:

Back to the top

Looking like the game is going to be sold out soon.

For the Love of God, please let this be our night to shine on the stage - with no lightning 🙏
Back to the top

I think we get destroyed, but that is protection so I can't be disappointed again

Hopefully I'm wrong
Back to the top

"This opponent is a climbing class, they present a lot of challenges. The guy (Plumlee) is an athlete, he's got swagger too. To me personally…a ferocious competitor. Anytime you get into a duel threat guy you always have to be aware of his legs. There's things we have on the sidelines in case things become an issue. I think we'll have to pressure guys who have the ability to finish plays." - FAU DC Todd Orlando
Back to the top

Rick said

Looking like the game is going to be sold out soon.

For the Love of God, please let this be our night to shine on the stage - with no lightning 🙏
Posted On: Sep 12th 2022, 8:56 PM #408252

Yeah, it's about time we had one of those games.
Back to the top

FAU vs UCF PERSONNEL UPDATE:

DL Evan Anderson - Out
DL Jaylen Joyner Probable
CB Romain Mungin - Questionable
S Teja Young - Questionable

RB Johnny Ford - Probable+
TE Carter Boatright - Probable
WR Jahmal Edrine - Questionable
WR Je'Quan Burton - Questionable
Back to the top

"There's always things that we can clean up…But we're pretty happy where we are. It's a great feeling to know we have multiple weapons. They (UCF) are fast…they fly around. It's going to be a real college football environment." - FAU OC Brent Dearmon
Back to the top

Rick said

DL Evan Anderson - Out

Posted On: Sep 15th 2022, 9:31 AM #408278

Yikes.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

walty12 said

Rick said

DL Evan Anderson - Out