Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME CAPSULE: FAU vs UCF - September 17, 2022

Add topic

faufan300 said

FAU Fan said

Lane Kiffin started the championship seasons in 2017 & 2019 (1-3) and (2-2) respectively.
Everyone forgot about the poor non-conference starts once we started rolling in conference play.
Hope we can do it again.

Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 1:05 PM #408393
When we first got Perry a Um buddy of mine who went to FAU said he hated that we got him. I asked why and he said he’s inconsistent and breaks under pressure.  

Perry is throwing around 56% completion in college that is horrendous since most guys hover over 72
Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 1:18 PM #408394

Same thing with the Ohio game – he and the team were rolling – he took a big hit on a run midway through the second and seemed to have lost all composure after that until it was too late. He then presses, misfires, etc. Can see why things did not work out at UM.
Back to the top

d-owl said

faufan300 said

FAU Fan said

Lane Kiffin started the championship seasons in 2017 & 2019 (1-3) and (2-2) respectively.
Everyone forgot about the poor non-conference starts once we started rolling in conference play.
Hope we can do it again.

When we first got Perry a Um buddy of mine who went to FAU said he hated that we got him. I asked why and he said he’s inconsistent and breaks under pressure.

Perry is throwing around 56% completion in college that is horrendous since most guys hover over 72
Same thing with the Ohio game – he and the team were rolling – he took a big hit on a run midway through the second and seemed to have lost all composure after that until it was too late. He then presses, misfires, etc. Can see why things did not work out at UM.

Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 1:59 PM #408396
Not defending Perry’s performance last night, but he has been fine otherwise. An average college completion percentage is NOT 72%. Tyler Van Dyke (considered a top prospect and elite college qb) completes 62% of his passes. Justin Herbert also never hit 70% in college. Dillon Gabriel also never hit 70%.

“Inconsistent and breaks under pressure” describes more than half of college qbs. I will say he stands back there for an eternity staring down the same receiver. Really strange. Does not make progressions.

Perry has been good for us generally. He has these stretches, however, where he goes totally dark and looks like David Kooi back there. Yesterday that happened for 4 quarters.

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

63% is the line. I have done a bunch of research on it and teams with that mark are post season contenders in good bowls. They also put up 30+ points per game.

58% (where we are right now) will not get you there. And it not a good compromise to accept that mark just because long yardage contributions are being included in the body of work in my humble opinion. We need to improve.
Back to the top

NJOWL said

d-owl said

faufan300 said

FAU Fan said

Hope we can do it again.

Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 1:59 PM #408396
Not defending Perry’s performance last night, but he has been fine otherwise. An average college completion percentage is NOT 72%. Tyler Van Dyke (considered a top prospect and elite college qb) completes 62% of his passes. Justin Herbert also never hit 70% in college. Dillon Gabriel also never hit 70%.

“Inconsistent and breaks under pressure” describes more than half of college qbs. I will say he stands back there for an eternity staring down the same receiver. Really strange. Does not make progressions.

Perry has been good for us generally. He has these stretches, however, where he goes totally dark and looks like David Kooi back there. Yesterday that happened for 4 quarters.
Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 2:31 PM #408397

Most power 5 schools with a clue have QB’s that have high completion percentages. The reasoning is because  the offensive schemes work to the strengths of the QB.  Plumlee has no arm and literally looked like Johnny Manziel out there. He mad short throws that opened up for him to run. He had the most rushing yards on his team, didnet our coaches look at the scouting report.

Yes he’s climbing up our all-time statistical ranks but he’s not good enough.  The way we lose games is concerning, when we lose we get blown out under Taggart. Sure we got some blowout loses with Lane but we bounced back.  This team this regime does not have that, there is no heart.  This will be Perry and Taggarts last year. 

We are not ready for the big time,  we are the Mets of college football.  Lane was our savior, gave us an idea on how to get things down and what did we do, get a sub .500 rethread coach and an inconsistent QB hoping to win.
It hurts to see other schools doing better than us, we are going to the American because of Kiffin. The next few years will not be pretty.

Back to the top

Owls2013 said

Owlguin said

First of all I say kudos to the students. it is fun to watch when there are so many students in the East stands. I’ve never been a Taggart fan, having watched every game he coached at FSU, I cringed when FAU hired him.  That being said, other than the botched effort from the 1 yard line, I thought the offense did OK.  On the other hand, we clearly were not able to put any pressure on the UCF QB, and unlike our receivers, UCF’s receivers were relatively wide open all night.  I got the sense we were way outmatched in talent and coaching on that end.
Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 9:33 AM #408387
It was great by the students……for one half. One thing I will say is I was disappointed by the noise level. 3rd downs we were hardly loud, the 100 sections seats on the home side feel like a country club. Look down at the third maybe 1-2 people standing. UCF had pace to our offense so its harder, but come on. I get our fans have not had really any big game atmosphere experience, but I felt the 4-5k UCF fans more than the prob 20k or so in red.
Posted On: Sep 18th 2022, 12:53 PM #408392
This is something I have noticed as well. How do we get our fans to make more noise in the future? because we are way too quiet when opponents are on offense IMO.
Back to the top

I had said one dimensional with 75% of plays involving Plumlee.

But my issue, is AGAIN, 2nd half "adjustments" Coaches are supposed to make. WE don't!

SHUT OUT in 2nd half, EIGHTEEN (18) YARDS TOTAL O????????

Settling for a FG after 1st and goal one the 1?????

Go for it, run the dang ball if you are stopped you have them on the 2 or less !!!!!! But worse is telling your team ya don't think they can gain 1 yard for the 1, AT HOME! Ya never upset a better team by settling for FG'S!!!!!!
\
FROM THE 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ball game OVER right there. AND IT SHOWED ON THE FIELD AFTER THAT TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Get better Coaches and players, play to WIN not or don't play. Ya owe that to the fans but more so, to yourselves guys, Man Up!
Back to the top

"I think we threw eight deep ball / fade balls, and we were one-for-eight on them…you've got to win those one-on-one match-ups more than 12% of the time."

"Those were probably the two best corners that we've seen all year long as well…but we had some guys coming open in the slot and we weren't getting the ball to them."

100% agree!

(guess who said it)
Back to the top

Rick said

"I think we threw eight deep ball / fade balls, and we were one-for-eight on them…you've got to win those one-on-one match-ups more than 12% of the time."

"Those were probably the two best corners that we've seen all year long as well…but we had some guys coming open in the slot and we weren't getting the ball to them."

100% agree!

(guess who said it)
Posted On: Sep 20th 2022, 7:53 PM #408413

WHEN will we learn the fade and back shoulder throws are a) longer throws and b) a much lower completion percentage than a simple crossing pattern. And USE THE TE's Coaches! Especially in the red zone!!!

Bottom line is we CANNOT settle for FGs inside the 10 let alone the 5 and with 1st and goal on the one or less. It is time to say this is 4 down territory NO MATTER WHAT! Speed up the tempo, don't let their D get set and MOVE FASTER.
Back to the top
Control functions: